Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Films Have You Watched This Week - The Sequel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just seen Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug and thought it was very good

Comment

Man of Steel

Didn't seem quite as over the top as in the cinema, although the Zod vs Superman fight is somewhat unnecessary. The biggest issue really is lack of character development. It's supposed to be an origin story, this would have worked better as a second or third film, but then the ADHD viewers (which counts for about 80% of cinema goers these days) would have lambasted it, so I guess you can't win either way.

It's still a solid superhero film and certainly not bad, just not what it could have been ... And now we have MOS II to look forward too .. oh joy ... Someone needs to rein in these exec's running (or is that ruining) the world as pretty soon people will just get fed up and stop going to the cinema.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        Is Walter Mitty any good? I'm intrigued by the poster and kind of like the idea of seeing it without knowing anything about it.
        Quality Chimp, I thought it was quite alright (given I got to see it free as part of a subscription offer). Ben Stiller directs and stars with a good supporting cast and it carries charm throughout with its tale of incredible things happening to a decent, regular and sometimes imagination running wild-type of guy. Go see it and let the forum know what you think.

Comment

Very rarely venturing to the the Cinema, I usually rely on DVD's or Blu-Rays. My Blu-Ray viewing was not helped by my slim PS3 (replacing a fat one) not doing hi-def over component (a "feature" of the slim models). Having now got a new TV I can finally watch Blu-Rays again (32" Sony Bravia Smart TV with Freeview HD).

Splashed out a bit at Amazon so in the last few days I watched...

Fast and Furious 6 - had to suspend disbelief on some of the stunts. Something for Mythbusters to play with I suppose.

A ?17 deal for the following three "classics"...

Galaxy Quest
          Barbarella
          The Goonies

The best hi-def moments were (surprisingly) to be found in Barbarella (though other bits in it were average at best).

As it was ?12.99 in my local Sainsburys I bought Elysium. Must say I rather enjoyed it. Mastered in 4K apparently. More apparent in the CGI parts.

Comment

Watched Oblivion. Wish I had seen it in the cinema as I really enjoyed it but I just couldn't bring myself to go see a movie with crazy Tom Cruise. Lovely looking - clearly based on the Raleigh Vektar - and the score was awesome. I think the story got just that bit too twisty but it didn't kill the movie for me. Mostly, I really liked it.

My only real issue was that I am totally fed up with the sci-fi trope of a

central place that can be blown up that for no real reason stops everything else from working. Makes no sense.

Someone else brought this up before.

Comment

Originally posted by originalbadboy View Post
              Man of Steel

Didn't seem quite as over the top as in the cinema, although the Zod vs Superman fight is somewhat unnecessary. The biggest issue really is lack of character development. It's supposed to be an origin story, this would have worked better as a second or third film, but then the ADHD viewers (which counts for about 80% of cinema goers these days) would have lambasted it, so I guess you can't win either way.

It's still a solid superhero film and certainly not bad, just not what it could have been ... And now we have MOS II to look forward too .. oh joy ... Someone needs to rein in these exec's running (or is that ruining) the world as pretty soon people will just get fed up and stop going to the cinema.
              Come on dude. I didn't want ANOTHER origin story. It would have been boring.

Comment

Frozen

Second time at the cinema as the missus adored it, in short - even better second time around

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  Someone else brought this up before.
                  Twas me

Comment

Originally posted by Kit View Post
                    Come on dude. I didn't want ANOTHER origin story. It would have been boring.
                    If you are going to remake something then you have to start from the beginning .. What's wrong with character development .. oh wait, we don't do that these days .. just straight into the action ... As I said MOS is definitely one for the ADHD crowd

Comment

Originally posted by bash View Post
                      Twas me
                      'Twas indeed. And I agree with your frustration.

Comment

Originally posted by originalbadboy View Post
                        If you are going to remake something then you have to start from the beginning .. What's wrong with character development .. oh wait, we don't do that these days .. just straight into the action ... As I said MOS is definitely one for the ADHD crowd
                        There's been god knows how many films before and an 8 season long tv series just about clark kent growing up. It needed to be kept brief.

Comment

Originally posted by Kit View Post
                          There's been god knows how many films before and an 8 season long tv series just about clark kent growing up. It needed to be kept brief.
                          Smallville was 10 series ....

Comment

Thanks, you increased the validity of my point by 2. :P

Comment

LooooL

Comment

Saw Frozen today. I loved it. Thought it was excellent and I really liked how they had me rolling my eyes at the whole prince/princess stuff and then played with the expectations that set up. And strong characters too. A lot of fun and gorgeous looking.

Comment

Working...
                                X