Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Films Have You Watched This Week - The Sequel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hobbit 2 - I enjoyed this and thought it better than the first. Was just a big, dumb, roller coaster ride of a film. Smug was ace and it ended well. 3D was **** and pointless though.

Comment

Finally watched The Worlds End last night. Obviously read a lot of poor reviews so wasn't expecting too much but I liked it. Shaun ranks as one of my favourite films of all time and it obviously wasn't in this category but Frost was excellent (good to see him throwing his weight around!) and the whole film zipped along without me ever feeling bored. Good solid 4* film IMO hope that's not the end for Pegg and Frost.

Comment

American Hustle.

First cinema trip of the year and a great start, some real hilariously knowing things in here, superb performances all round particularly some of the interplay between Bale & Cooper. And the babes are lush.

Comment

Took my daughter to see frozen and we both enjoyed it immensely

If I had saw it last year it would have been in my top 3 and will be surprised if it doesn't pick up an academy award

Took my daughter to the cinema twice last year (she's 3) and we loved both movies, frozen and cloudy with a chance of meatballs 2

Just a shame a family ticket with food is probably just short of ?40 (VIP seats)

Comment

Watched a couple of ****ers yesterday, Children Of The Corn 3: Urban Harvest and a Poundland Blu-Ray/DVD combo of Stephen Merchant's 'Hello Ladies...', the former only notable for THE best de-spining of a black person in a low budget horror flick, the latter was just absolute bilge, creepy and unfunny, plus pretty much all padding/filler, plus seems a tad undignified to wave one's BAFTA about quite so vulgarly...! Still, nice to see Blus filtering down to Poundland, also got Dynamo series 2, good for when I fancy summat Blaine-y.

PS the Merchant DVD went straight in the bin, there's all satsuma skins and teabags on it, let it fester...
            Last edited by JazzFunk; 10-01-2014, 13:23.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
              Watched a couple of ****ers yesterday, Children Of The Corn 3: Urban Harvest and a Poundland Blu-Ray/DVD combo of Stephen Merchant's 'Hello Ladies...', the former only notable for THE best de-spining of a black person in a low budget horror flick, the latter was just absolute bilge, creepy and unfunny, plus pretty much all padding/filler, plus seems a tad undignified to wave one's BAFTA about quite so vulgarly...! Still, nice to see Blus filtering down to Poundland, also got Dynamo series 2, good for when I fancy summat Blaine-y.

PS the Merchant DVD went straight in the bin, there's all satsuma skins and teabags on it, let it fester...
              Picked up another bluray 'battleground' in poundland. Ive wached the first 20 mins or so and its fairly decent....

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post

Had to look that Children of the Corn scene up, was excellent thanks.

Comment

Hehe! Tis a stinker but has a few good ideas (satanic corn on the cob!) and also has some VERY primitive CGI, there're some fireballs later in the movie that really remind me of that ol platformer Wardner - check it out, you may like!

Comment

Robot & Frank.

Loved it!

Comment

Originally posted by Kieran76 View Post
                      Was just a big, dumb, roller coaster ride.
                      I agree, it sucked. The barrel ride scene rivalled Jar Jar Binks level of retardness. Also, 3D is always **** and pointless, only exception, Gravity.
                      Last edited by Guts; 10-01-2014, 14:17.

Comment

Just saw Gravity. Loved it, very tense.

Unfortunately I didn't check and it turns out it was dubbed in Japanese.

I got the crux of it and understood the important stuff. In fact, it was quite a nice Japanese test! I'll watch it in English when it's out on BR. The 3D was nice, and the long shots meant my eyes could relax.

Comment

Elysium
                          Difficult one this .. Matt Damon as reliable as ever and overall I enjoyed it, but for me there could have been so much more to the film. You could have made a trilogy of films with the story really, but instead its all done and dusted in less than 2 hours.

Aside from Jodie Foster's dodgy accent everyone plays their part pretty well, but the star of the show is Sharlto Copley (Murdoch from The A Team) who is just brilliant, I wish he did more stuff. The film does suffer from the 'spot the video game / film' issue that seems to be the case these days though. There are references to quite a few, with one massively obvious to anyone who has seen the trailer or film.

Also I am getting a little tired of the political and sociological analogies in films these days. You quite easily swap Elysium for California and the slums of some third world country for earth. Yes we get it .. the world is a ****ed up place, but it doesn't mean it will necessarily be in 100 years time.

Overall though solid 4 out of 5.

Comment

Riddick

Finally saw it and it was alright. Three main issues with it:

1-It's too long, a fair bit could have been cut with little effect
                            2-Fair play for getting it made but the low budget is painful at times. Could havebbeen better worked around as the last half hour proves.
                            3-Riddick. More making him the central character. It's the same mistake the Pirates series has been making. In Pitch Black he was the rogue element which is why he worked so well. In Chronicles and this he's the main lead and doesn't support it. Less is more with this character.

But a point returned for Sackhoff boob.

Comment

Watched the latest woody allen film Blue Jasmine.

Its a story of a lady(cate blanchett) who ends up with nowhere to go but to her bronx residing, common, and rather distant sister, when her husband(alec baldwin) gets exposed for being a massive con artist. She has this feisty attitude, and good taste in everything, but doesn't fit in at all with her sister or her group of friends.

What ensues is a whacky story of her coming to terms(or not) with this change in her lifestyle, and her expectations...and dealing with growing anxiety.

Brilliant performance from blanchett(as per), and i'd say this is woody allens best films for a long time.

Top stuff.

Comment

The Wolf of Wall Street

I knew zilch about this film before i watched it, and whilst watching it struck me it was like a seth rogen comedy were it directed by scorsese...and low and behold, and i should have known 100% given his inimitable style, it was indeed scorsese.

I'm tired now and could rant about this film all day, but just watch it if you are a fan of his.

Its easily his most far out work, and everyone in it is brilliant(bordering on OTT sometimes), but its probably the most entertaining 3 hours i've spent watching any movie...period.

Absolutely brilliant, and perhaps DiCaprio will finally get the oscar he certainly should have had for the aviator.

Best film of 2014...screw it i'm calling it now.
                                Last edited by PaTaito; 12-01-2014, 09:06.

Comment

Working...
                                X