Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Films Have You Watched This Week - The Sequel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't seen it, can you give some examples? Is it that bad, compared to other male-dominated action movies?

Comment

Yeah, it's much worse than most and it's a shame because it's otherwise really enjoyable. Examples (spoiler tagged in case anyone wants to avoid them but nothing major in terms of reveals in here) -

Aside from a few naked concubines at the beginning, there is a single female in the entire movie which wouldn't be so bad in itself except that most comments to her and many from her are sexual (no sexual comments are directed at any of the males). She is the only one to get naked and weirdly so - they are all fighting for their lives and she just decides to wash her boobs (two people creepily watch without her knowing). But where it gets uncomfortable is that she establishes herself fairly crudely as a lesbian, a guy pretty much tries to rape her and then Riddick tells her she will ask him nicely to go "balls deep" in her... which she later does. And it's just all sorts of icky. Oh, actually there is one other female - a rape victim who is killed just to show us a guy is kinda bad and we shouldn't like him.

Even given that Riddick himself is very clearly a vicious murderer, this doesn't quite fit with who we met in the first two movies. More than that, it goes well beyond him. It's not that a character was written to be misogynistic, it seems to be the whole world of the story is misogynistic which says to me it's more likely an unintended reflection of the scriptwriter.

Actually there is a post on Empire which covers it in much more detail although the spoiler flow even more freely there - http://www.empireonline.com/empirebl...tes/post/p1399
      Last edited by Dogg Thang; 10-02-2014, 10:22.

Comment

Down side is that all that stuff is spot on, half the dialogue with Sachoffs character doesn't sit quite right with you as you watch the film.

Up side is, I've hugged her Man plan.

Comment

Sunshine

Probably my favourite Boyle film, not that the rest are bad by any stretch. One of those films that probably 80% of the population will never see and yet is just excellent.

As with most Boyle films its as much about the characters as anything else, but this ticks all the action / sci-fi boxes as well. The premise is completely ridiculous, but sprinkle the 'Boyle' magic fairy dust over it and suddenly it doesn't matter how silly the story actually is, because it grips from the beginning and doesn't let go .. partly thanks to the performances as well, with pretty much everyone doing a great job.

If Sunshine is one of the Boyle films that you have 'missed' then its definitely worth a viewing.

Comment

I've always thought our sun has a consciousness of some level.

Comment

if only they would have left out the horror element of sunshine, and kept it about the science...

Still i agree its one of Boyle's best.

Comment

I was testing my PS3's Blu-Ray playback on Saturday and ended up distracted by Sunshine!

Such a great film. I was still pretty stressed as I knew what was coming. I'm pretty sure most of the science is ridiculous and they'd melt way before Mercury, but aside from that it's a full-on experience.

The commentary tracks are brilliant too. Boyle is informative and honest.

Comment

It was such a flop at the cinema ... barely breaking even if at all. I dismissed it at the time, probably due to complete lack of marketing, and only watched it the first time about a year ago. Glad I did though ..

On a long list of films which thanks to zero marketing pretty much passed most people by ... fortunately most of these types of films do slowly reach people and achieve cult status... In time this will to I believe

Comment

Just grinned my way through the entire Lego Movie. Absolutely awesome film. So much fun, amazingly well made and very funny in places. Loved it.

Comment

Kick Ass 2. Utter, utter ****e.

Comment

Originally posted by Kit View Post
                        Kick Ass 2. Utter, utter ****e.
                        Agreed!

Comment

Rush- didn't get into it.
                          Its undoubtably a good story to tell but it just never gripped me.

Comment

Originally posted by punio75 View Post
                            Rush- didn't get into it.
                            Its undoubtably a good story to tell but it just never gripped me.
                            Thought the 2 leads in rush were outstanding, particularly the lad who plays niki lauda.

The whole coming back from spending 60 seconds inside a 1000c fireball, in the same season, was utterly amazing.

Comment

The duel for the 1976 Formula 1 championship between James Hunt and Niki Lauda.

I've not seen Rush as I thought it was a documentary about the prog band. I do like Richie Cunningham's films especially since he came out of the shadow of Arthur Fonzarelli.

(On a side note, my phone wanted to write "cunning hamster" instead of "Cunningham's")

Anyway, I would like to see Rush because I caught a BBC documentary called "Hunt v. Lauda" shown towards the end of 2013.

My wife and I don't follow Formula 1, let alone from the 70s and we missed the start, but we were riveted to the screen.

We didn't know the result, so each twist and turn of the season was nail-biting for us.

It's being repeated Sunday 23rd February at 7pm on Sunday on BBC2 and HD.

I'd love to hear how you think the documentary compares to the film.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                                http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0377tb1

I've not seen Rush as I thought it was a documentary about the prog band. I do like Richie Cunningham's films especially since he came out of the shadow of Arthur Fonzarelli.

(On a side note, my phone wanted to write "cunning hamster" instead of "Cunningham's")

Anyway, I would like to see Rush because I caught a BBC documentary called "Hunt v. Lauda" shown towards the end of 2013.

My wife and I don't follow Formula 1, let alone from the 70s and we missed the start, but we were riveted to the screen.

We didn't know the result, so each twist and turn of the season was nail-biting for us.

It's being repeated Sunday 23rd February at 7pm on Sunday on BBC2 and HD.

I'd love to hear how you think the documentary compares to the film.
                                Thanks for the heads up, i'll definately be watching that.

..after senna, anything like this gets lapped up.

Comment

Working...
                                X