Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Worlds End

Couldn't find a thread for this...

Saw this last night. In my opinion, it had an okay middle section, but my goodness the rest was pretty poor.

Barely a 2/5 from me.

Can't say I expected much. Shaun was excellent but I didn't really rate Fuzz. The trailers for this though have been crap, did read one good review but still couldn't get pumped to see it.

Comment

My comments seem to have vanished, oh well.

Film is excellent and lives up to the previous two.

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
        Can't say I expected much. Shaun was excellent but I didn't really rate Fuzz. The trailers for this though have been crap, did read one good review but still couldn't get pumped to see it.
        Pretty much echoes my thoughts

Comment

I thought the trailer was pretty underwhelming too, but I saw this last night and it was a lot better than I feared.

It was a pretty brave decision to make Pegg's character pretty unlikeable. I found the pacing to be spot-on because just as both myself and his friends are fed up with him, the film shifts tone and moves up a gear.

The plot was daft but fun and there were plenty of chuckles along the way. I think Wright had learned a bit from his stunt team in Scott Pilgrim as the fight sequences were pretty well choreographed and exciting.

Shaun is easily the best of the trilogy and I'm unsure if Hot Fuzz seems worse than it is because it's not as good as SotD, or if The World's End seems better because Hot Fuzz (and the TWE trailer) lowered my expectations, but I think I put TWE in second place. (Does that make sense?!)

Completely daft and jokey to have the tension of SotD, but it was a blast to watch.
          I've been a Wright/Pegg/Frost fan since the start of Spaced, so I'm pleased to see they've ended the Cornetto trilogy on a high note. I look forward to seeing what Edgar Wright does next as he's a great director and makes the most out of a small budget - roll on Ant-Man!

Special mention has to go to the soundtrack which, as a 90s Indie kid, I thoroughly enjoyed! I didn't think anybody else had heard Silver Bullet's "20 Seconds to comply"!

01 Primal Scream ? Loaded
          02 Blur ? There?s No Other Way
          03 I Put This On A Tape For You
          04 Soup Dragons ? I?m Free
          05 Happy Mondays ? Step On
          06 Was The Music Too Loud
          07 Suede ? So Young
          08 Beautiful South ? Old Red Eyes Is Back
          09 A Humble Taproom
          10 James ? Come Home
          11 Pulp ? Do You Remember The First Time
          12 Welcome
          13 Teenage Fanclub ? What You Do To Me
          14 The Stone Roses ? Fools Gold
          15 Soul II Soul ? Get A Life
          16 We Have Changed
          17 Inspiral Carpets ? This Is How It Feels
          18 The Doors ? Alabama Song (Whisky Bar)
          19 Definition Of Sound ? Wear Your Love Like Heaven
          20 This Is What The Kids Want
          21 Kylie Minogue ? Step Back In Time
          22 St Etienne ? Join Our Club
          23 The Sundays ? Here?s Where The Story Ends
          24 I Hate This Town
          25 Silver Bullet ? 20 Seconds To Comply (The World?s End Bomb Squad Mix Re ? Edit)
          26 The Sisters Of Mercy ? This Corrosion
          27 The Housemartins ? Happy Hour
          28 Let?s Boo Boo
          Last edited by QualityChimp; 31-07-2013, 15:07.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            I thought the trailer was pretty underwhelming too, but I saw this last night and it was a lot better than I feared.

It was a pretty brave decision to make Pegg's character pretty unlikeable. I found the pacing to be spot-on because just as both myself and his friends are fed up with him, the film shifts tone and moves up a gear.

The plot was daft but fun and there were plenty of chuckles along the way. I think Wright had learned a bit from his stunt team in Scott Pilgrim as the fight sequences were pretty well choreographed and exciting.

Shaun is easily the best of the trilogy and I'm unsure if Hot Fuzz seems worse than it is because it's not as good as SotD, or if The World's End seems better because Hot Fuzz (and the TWE trailer) lowered my expectations, but I think I put TWE in second place. (Does that make sense?!)

Completely daft and jokey to have the tension of SotD, but it was a blast to watch.
            I've been a Wright/Pegg/Frost fan since the start of Spaced, so I'm pleased to see they've ended the Cornetto trilogy on a high note. I look forward to seeing what Edgar Wright does next as he's a great director and makes the most out of a small budget - roll on Ant-Man!

Special mention has to go to the soundtrack which, as a 90s Indie kid, I thoroughly enjoyed! I didn't think anybody else had heard Silver Bullet's "20 Seconds to comply"!

01 Primal Scream ? Loaded
            02 Blur ? There?s No Other Way
            03 I Put This On A Tape For You
            04 Soup Dragons ? I?m Free
            05 Happy Mondays ? Step On
            06 Was The Music Too Loud
            07 Suede ? So Young
            08 Beautiful South ? Old Red Eyes Is Back
            09 A Humble Taproom
            10 James ? Come Home
            11 Pulp ? Do You Remember The First Time
            12 Welcome
            13 Teenage Fanclub ? What You Do To Me
            14 The Stone Roses ? Fools Gold
            15 Soul II Soul ? Get A Life
            16 We Have Changed
            17 Inspiral Carpets ? This Is How It Feels
            18 The Doors ? Alabama Song (Whisky Bar)
            19 Definition Of Sound ? Wear Your Love Like Heaven
            20 This Is What The Kids Want
            21 Kylie Minogue ? Step Back In Time
            22 St Etienne ? Join Our Club
            23 The Sundays ? Here?s Where The Story Ends
            24 I Hate This Town
            25 Silver Bullet ? 20 Seconds To Comply (The World?s End Bomb Squad Mix Re ? Edit)
            26 The Sisters Of Mercy ? This Corrosion
            27 The Housemartins ? Happy Hour
            28 Let?s Boo Boo
            That's a quality playlist right there. Loads of Baggy music and shame there was no track by The Charlatans included but oh well.

Yeah SotD is still probably the best of the three with this not too far behind. Hot Fuzz was still a decent film but just didn't have as much of the 'Wright/Pegg/Frost' feel about it that the other two did.

Still, that's no bad thing and yes I'm also excited about Edgar Wright's future projects. Whatever team he worked with on his last 2 films can continue helping him as the choreography and humour are both absolute quality (and I need to by Scott Pilgrim again come to think of it).

Comment

I've read a few forum threads about The World's End, it's funny how there seems to be no consensus on which is the best of the three. I'd put Hot Fuzz at the top, World's End and then SotD at the bottom. All great mind

Thinking about it more, World's End is my film of the year so far.

Comment

Going to see this tomorrow and looking forward to it. I love hot fuzz, but Shaun is leagues above it for me.

Comment

With Wolverine, Conjuring and Alpha Papa circling I'd completely forgotten to go see this lol, need to get a move on. Just a recapture of Shauns magic would be ace, Fuzz was a distant shadow of Deads brilliance

Comment

I saw this tonight and adored it. The characters were just fantastic with Nick Frost's performance stealing the show. It may be an age thing but I found the whole movie really emotional (had a 20 year school reunion a few weeks back so the whole idea of revisiting youth is fresh in my mind). I could relate to most of the characters in different ways, for better or worse.

Tons of laughs too. I was laughing full on out loud on many, many occasions in this movie. Not something I do often.

The only weakness for me in the film was the

climax conversation with the Network. Thought that was a poor final encounter given what they had set up and following a great Pegg/Frost moment. But I thought they rescued it with a great epilogue so loved the very end.

Yeah, I probably preferred Shaun overall but I don't really have to choose - I think all three films are great and will happily watch them again. I do think this easily lived up to my expectations and probably exceeded them in many areas.

Comment

Finally went to see this tonight. A few good laughs and a great soundtrack that took me back to my youth, I had wondered how Kylie fitted in the track listing when QC posted it up though which thankfully makes sense now! For me it's definitely the weakest of the trilogy though. Painfully slow start which had me fidgeting in my seat a little. I think without Nick Frost it would have been awful though, he's just such a loveable big bear, although Eddie Marsan pulled a few good laughs too.

Comment

Is SotD much better because it is, or because they are quite samey and it was first?

Comment

I never tire of Shaun mate, It's among my favourite films, so I may not be the best to answer that.

Comment

IMO, Shaun is the best because it's a fantastic example of its genre as well as being a comedy. You could remove the comedy and it would still be a really good film. For me, the same isn't quite true of World's End. I rewatched Shaun a couple of days ago and, yes, I think it's a better movie but I realised I found World's End to be the funnier film. World's End hits the comedy harder and, for me, does so successfully but that also results in some sillier moments (especially during

the climax

) that wouldn't stand up if not going for laughs. The humour in Shaun is more subtle but it's a stronger movie because its story and drama is more consistent. IMO.

In spite of which is better (one of them had to be), I think World's End is a quality film, very funny and well worth a watch. Worthy of the other two.

Comment

Only seen the first two so far and I found them both good fun. I can't really choose which is better for me. I remember seeing Shaun when the hype train was at full steam and being really disappointed. Enjoyed it more the second time.

Comment

Working...
                              X