No announcement yet.

The Worlds End

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I could offer you a Strawberry, Mint or Classico Cornetto.

Everybody has their favourite, each one has its own selling points and sometimes you're in the mood for something different.

At the end of the day you're walking away with a tasty Cornetto!

Comment

Speaking of which, check out the flavours on my tumblr - http://genuinehuman.tumblr.com/ . Will put them together and get them into the art thread later.

Comment

I think what stopped me rating the film higher more than anything, was that I didn't like Pegg's character from start to finish. In fact the end bit just made me dislike him even more.

Comment

Saw this last night and loved it. It's not a particularly well made / paced film but give me this over Hunger Games or Withnail and I any day. I almost died of laughter at the windmill arm / leg lady.

Comment

I love this film. I much prefer it over Hot Fuzz, which was well made but overall pretty weak.

Comment

Now I have more time to post, what I like about it is that it manages to chime with the idea of being usurped by a younger generation to whom 'you and your boys' and 'the glory days' mean jack. As to Pegg's character being utterly unlikeable; I think everyone knows a tosser like Gary King. Sort of bloke who lives in the past, powered on by nostalgia and only thinks of himself and doesn't understand why he's upsetting people. An utter wanker. I've known a fair few in my time.

Comment

Probably shouldn't admit to really relating to Gary King then...

Maybe it's just I sometimes have those nostalgia-fuelled dreams of reliving my past, which was also me in a black coat listening to Sisters of Mercy and doing stupid but very fun things. But as I said earlier in the thread, one of the reasons it really worked for me was that I felt I could relate directly to pretty much all the characters in different ways.

I have watched it several times since posting in this thread and, yeah, I feel the climax is weak and I find myself wishing that was better every time but the characters and the banter and the soul in the movie, I just love it. For me at my age coming from the teenage years I had, this film nails a place in my life in a way few other films have.

Comment

I love everything about Hot Fuzz, the characters and how well they're acted out, the witty lines and the 80s references (By the power of grayskull! etc.). Shaun...I've only seen once and it just didn't grab me, only bits I can really remember are Coldpay and Keith Chegwin at the end. The World's End had me expecting something to happen all the way through that never quite did. It deserves a watch again soon and I'll see how I feel about it then.

TL;DR

HF > ( TWE = SotD )

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                    I thought the trailer was pretty underwhelming too, but I saw this last night and it was a lot better than I feared.It was a pretty brave decision to make Pegg's character pretty unlikeable. I found the pacing to be spot-on because just as both myself and his friends are fed up with him, the film shifts tone and moves up a gear.The plot was daft but fun and there were plenty of chuckles along the way. I think Wright had learned a bit from his stunt team in Scott Pilgrim as the fight sequences were pretty well choreographed and exciting.Shaun is easily the best of the trilogy and I'm unsure if Hot Fuzz seems worse than it is because it's not as good as SotD, or if The World's End seems better because Hot Fuzz (and the TWE trailer) lowered my expectations, but I think I put TWE in second place. (Does that make sense?!)Completely daft and jokey to have the tension of SotD, but it was a blast to watch.I've been a Wright/Pegg/Frost fan since the start of Spaced, so I'm pleased to see they've ended the Cornetto trilogy on a high note. I look forward to seeing what Edgar Wright does next as he's a great director and makes the most out of a small budget - roll on Ant-Man!Special mention has to go to the soundtrack which, as a 90s Indie kid, I thoroughly enjoyed! I didn't think anybody else had heard Silver Bullet's "20 Seconds to comply"!01 Primal Scream ? Loaded02 Blur ? There?s No Other Way03 I Put This On A Tape For You04 Soup Dragons ? I?m Free05 Happy Mondays ? Step On06 Was The Music Too Loud07 Suede ? So Young08 Beautiful South ? Old Red Eyes Is Back09 A Humble Taproom10 James ? Come Home11 Pulp ? Do You Remember The First Time12 Welcome13 Teenage Fanclub ? What You Do To Me14 The Stone Roses ? Fools Gold15 Soul II Soul ? Get A Life16 We Have Changed17 Inspiral Carpets ? This Is How It Feels18 The Doors ? Alabama Song (Whisky Bar)19 Definition Of Sound ? Wear Your Love Like Heaven20 This Is What The Kids Want21 Kylie Minogue ? Step Back In Time22 St Etienne ? Join Our Club23 The Sundays ? Here?s Where The Story Ends24 I Hate This Town25 Silver Bullet ? 20 Seconds To Comply (The World?s End Bomb Squad Mix Re ? Edit)26 The Sisters Of Mercy ? This Corrosion27 The Housemartins ? Happy Hour28 Let?s Boo Boo
                    20 Seconds to Comply. Is that track with the RoboCop samples? There was also a tune with terminator samples too!

Comment

Comment

That track was boss at the time. One of the few early ish British hip hop tracks to get commercial success.

Comment

I remember that! Used to love it!

Comment

Reminds me of this!

Comment

Bizarrely enough, musically it always reminded me of this:

Some dude wrote about it here:
                              Time Extension brings you the latest news and features from the world of retro gaming. Giving retro and classic games more time to shine and so much more.

Comment

I watched this again last night for the first time since I saw it at the cinema in 2013 because after this thread got bumped I wanted to reassess it.

I think it really helps knowing in advance that Gary King is a bit of a chump. I think cinemagoers had a similar issue when Big Trouble in Little China came out, where action star Kurt Russell played an idiot and second-fiddle to his co-stars. Coming after SotD and Hot Fuzz, where Pegg plays flawed, but ultimately heroic leads, it was quite jarring to struggle to like King.

This time, because I was bracing myself for him, I found I enjoyed it a lot more.

As Dogg Thang says, there's a lot of humour so I was chuckling throughout and, as Colin said, Nick Frost is the heart of the film and would suffer without him. The film reminded me of lots of other paranoia movies (Dusk 'till Dawn, Invasion of the Bodysnatchers and The Stepford Wives) and Wright's tight and skewed shots add to the claustrophobia, but it's fun to see where the story is going. The ending is always going to split opinion, though, and there's a conflict in messages between thinking of others and refusing to be enslaved.

The best thing for me, this time, was the fight scenes. Brad Allan, formerly of the Jackie Chan Stunt Team, was the action co-ordinator and his years of working with Chan really shine and some of the sequences feel like a slowed-down JC fight with Gary King protecting his pint whilst fighting off the blanks are very amusing. "Chortle Kombat" or "pub-Fu", maybe?! Jackie Chan is even thanked in the credits and was an inspiration for Wright as he made it, aiming for the long, continuous shots with few cut-aways of JC fights.

Here's a nice video with Frost, Wright and Pegg laughing about drunken acting:
                                Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and director Edgar Wright got pub-specific in the comedy, opening Friday.

Here's a showreel for some of Brad Allan's other work including Kingsman, Pacific Rim, Scott Pilgrim and Kick-Ass:

Comment

Working...
                                X