No announcement yet.

South Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I did notice that, and it was vertically mounted without suffering from overheating issues - I wonder if that was a paid for placement or not.

Comment

I enjoyed the last one a lot My wife laughed nearly everytime they corrected him! How sad that at least 3 of us noticed the 360!! At the end where he struggled with "good and evil" so to speak, was that a homage to anything? Looked very very familiar!

Comment

This coming Monday, Im going into London to attend a meeting with Trey Parker and Matt Stone, I dont know how many other people will be there but if I can Ill try and ask a question or two, probably about that Million Little Fibres episode.

Comment

Originally posted by marcus
          This coming Monday, Im going into London to attend a meeting with Trey Parker and Matt Stone, I dont know how many other people will be there but if I can Ill try and ask a question or two, probably about that Million Little Fibres episode.
          stand up and call him a towel

ask what the hell that episode was about

Comment

The thing is, ever since seeing that episode I keep finding myself occassionally saying "Oh Mingey" in a camp voice, expecting my wife to reply with "Alright Gar"...becase we'd always called an arsehole a gary beforehand!

Comment

Originally posted by marcus
              Out of interest, why are you 'attending a meeting' with them?

Comment

A friend of mine does a film course part time, he was going and got me a ticket also, I dont know how he came about it though I presume its something to do with the course.

Comment

Actually it?s an open Skillset masterclass being held at the NFT, focusing predominantly on political satire. It did sell out rather quickly when it was announced last month as I recall, but obtaining tickets certain wasn?t restricted.

Comment

Im still planning on going to this, just hoping Im able to get outta work and into london in time

Comment

Just got back from the talk, really pleased I went

Some random thoughts from me whilst its still in my head...

The place was packed out, and it was a one-off so pretty lucky I guess I happened by a ticket, to top it all I was two rows from central front, and I also got to shake hands with Trey, didnt really know what to say as I wasnt expecting it but just said I enjoyed the talk and it was nice to meet him (sucks, but well, hey). The talk was really interesting, funny, and they come across as being really nice guys, pretty down to earth really.

The Q&A at the end was way too short, with only 3 questions being asked, the best being about Isaac Hayes "we like Isaac, hes a nice guy", how they feel it was the group of people (scientologists) who for whatever reason, made him feel the way he did about the episode, and they said hes welcome back but I guess that will never happen. I wanted to ask about the 'million little fibres' episode but didnt get the chance :/

On that, they talked about how Comedy Central have pulled (or tried to) 3 episodes (bloody mary, scientologist due to pressure from unknown people within Viacom who are in some way connected to CCentral, and Cartoon Wars), and they cleared up what I thought was an internet rumour that CC did actually black out the image of Mohammed (a non derogatory image of him handing someone a helmet or something) without their consent (I thought it was just irony). They said they were really upset by this, and that CC had drawn a very bad line, and I still wonder if the Fibre episode was made deliberatly **** so as to piss CC off. As they point out, they didnt blank out Jesus Christ crapping over George Bush.. so, the rule is its ok to poke fun of any religion unless its likely the extremeists of that religion will try to kill you..!

They talked about how SP came about, it was just one of about 60 other ideas they had during their time learning the ropes of filmmaking, they had decided on the 4 boys and used voices that they had used to piss of their teachers over the years and it somehow all just clicked into place. The first episode (anal probe) was a whole conspiracy thing that they initially thought would be the backbone to the series generally, but it clashed notably with the then-big X-Files, so it took the path of satire (never cynicism) instead.

Within 8 episodes, SP was on the front of Rolling Stone magazine which by all accounts is pretty good going, its success was largely down to the internet which at that time was in its infancy but was suitable for downloading little 5-6fps clips of South Park. Asked if they mind people distributing their work on the internet they said no, they were all for it, they openly said they have made enough money to never have to worry about paying the rent (clearly, if they were the movie equivelant of a struggling musician it may be different) and were it not for the net then episodes such as the Bloody Mary one would be all but extinct seeing as they were pulled from the network. In fact, the Scientologist one, far from being something that noone was aware of, is actually the most popular SP episode of them all largely due to all the fuss Tom Cruise and his lawyers have made over it. By all accounts TC thought that by 'coming out of the closet' they meant he was gay, but thats not the meaning

Annnyways, they spoke of the SP movie, and we were treated to the brilliant scene of Kenny lighting his fart, bursting into flames and being revived, then killed in hospital, and also about the (wonderful) Team America which sounded like an absolute nightmare to make. On that, they said that the newer South Park episodes take between 6-8 days to complete in their entirety, which is unheard of in the field of animation, which allows the show to be so topical as it can pick up on real current issues. They spoke of the freedom they have, none of the episodes need to be handed to lawyers to fine-comb beforehand, they answer to noone basically which is unique, they know that at any time they could walk away from it and still live happily on their earnings so in effect the network need them more than the other way round.

Sorry for the ramblings, but needless to say I had a really good night with this and Im going to keep an eye out for the recording of the interview as Id like to watch it again. If one is made, and I can get hold of a copy Ill let you guys know, its a pretty good watch for any SP fan.
                      Last edited by marcus; 15-05-2006, 22:03.

Comment

i would have gone myself, however i only found out today when marcus posted it.

out of all the people i have met, i consider myself being the biggest south park fan, i have no idea if that remains on here, for now i will say i am a big fan, i knew about the 3 episodes that they tried to get pulled, and that we wont get the scientology episode here because of that prat cruise. i would love to have asked them about the fibre episode, asking if it was a reaction to the blanking out of mohammad, there is some places showing the uncensored scene.

what comedy central forget to point out, he is still on the opening cutscene, you have to look quite hard though.

if i was there i would love to know why in their recent series they have given randy a boost and he is now so great, with his frantic over the top antics, like the day after the day after tomorrow episode and smug.

giving the chance another question would have been, why stop killing kenny ? you bastards!

Comment

They said that Mohammed had already appeared in a early episode of SP Super Best Friends ("The episode casts Mohammed as a Muslim super-hero who joins forces with Jesus and Moses, both of whom are considered prophets in the Muslim faith."), and that when they switched on the news to see the people going nuts over a cartoon, and the news headline of "Cartoon Wars", the first thing they thought was that they had finally picked up on it. Of course, it wasnt over that, but they were ****ting themselves initially thinking that the uproar was over their depiction of Mohammed, before the realisaton that it was the Danish cartoons that were the problem.

Re Tom Cruise, they have never actually spoken with, or been advised that TC has ever even seen the episode. What happened was it aired at around the time MI3 was doing its early rounds of promotion, and someone within Viacom who has a certain element of power over CC, requested it be pulled, which CC did do even though it had aired once already, so was effectively 'out there'. Still, in doing that, this person (or persons) have turned that into one of the biggest SP episodes of them all, which is sweet justice if you ask me. I never even thought it was a particularly funny episode myself, but all the furore surrounding it is.

They were asked about their choice of characters, and said that basically the formula is that if the charecter works then it appears again, if it doesnt or is unpopular with fans its written off. Im gona give some thought as to characters who have only ever appeared in one (or two perhaps) episodes, Starvin Marvin is one Id suggest off the top of my head.

Ive started rewatching some of the older episodes, and have to disagree with whoever it was who said that the early ones werent much good - I randomly put the Prehistoric Ice Man episode on last night and it just bust me up, the way they emulated the lifestyle of someone who had been from way back (in all actuality, just 3 years ago) by sticking him in a room playing non-stop Ace of Base was pure genius.
                          Last edited by marcus; 15-05-2006, 22:44.

Comment

Was the new series of South Park on last week?

Comment

Originally posted by Concept
                              Was the new series of South Park on last week?
                              nope

tsst was the last listed episode on tv.com

Comment

Thanks for the report on the evening, Marcus.

Comment

Working...
                                X