No announcement yet.

Battlestar Galactica........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've only just started watching this on DVD after hearing for so long about how excellent it is and, so far, I'm loving it. A great update of a classic show.

Something struck me as odd though, and the longer fans of the show could probably answer this as it was likely brought up before - out of all the characters of the original show, why did they only carry the men over? Sure, they changed Boomer and Starbuck to women which is fine (Starbuck, in particular, is excellent). But the original show had female characters - Cassiopia, Athena, Sheba. It seems weird to me that they brought all of the male characters (even Boxy) over and not one of the female characters.

Given that many of the characters really only retain their name and rough ranking, I can't think of a reason for that. Anyone know? Or am I going to meet these characters later?

Comment

Strange thing about BG is that i never watch it on sky (even though i have it) but wait till the dvd comes out then watch it every sunday night (three or 4 episodes at a time) till its done.

Hell even the missus got into it and we watched all mini/series1/2 in less than two weeks.

I love BG one of the best (if not the) scifi atm

Bri

Comment

You will meet one of them later - kinda - although it isn't really a translation of character from the original, they just use the name I think.

Comment

I don't really like it because of that, it's not really much like the original, instead it's almost exactly like 'Space: Above and Beyond' and that was way more deserving of being carried on!

Comment

Well I watched the first two seasons on dvd. Fantastic stuff. The end of season 1 and the first half of season 2 made up some of the best television ever. Stunning. After the Pegasus stuff, it went a bit downhill and seemed to be filler eps until the end of the season, which I thought was odd as there were quite a few concepts set up that seemed left unexplored to a large extent. Still, great stuff.

Going to have to wait for S3 to hit dvd now. I know there are webisodes between season 2 and 3 but I can't seem to get them working on the scifi site. Not sure if they're just having a problem or if it's a region thing. Anyone know if they're available online to watch?

Quick Cylon question at the end of S2 -

The Cylons leaving Caprica seemed utterly pointless and Al from Quantum Leap seemed to go against everything we have learned about the Cylons up to now, giving away an embedded agent for seemingly nothing. Then they turn up on New Caprica clearly influenced by the 6 and 8 but still the same old Cylons. Am I missing something with the anomoly that is Al from Quantum Leap? Something seems wrong there and I couldn't help feeling I was supposed to get more out of it than I did. Or is that something explored in S3?

Comment

Quick answer to Cylon question at the end of S2

Nope.TBH the human versions of the cylons dont make sense at all. Perhaps there will be a coming together at the end of the road and they will make sense of it.

Also ^^

I'm pretty sure there is an 'Athena' callsign. May be an S3 thing, or just my rubbish memory....so I'll shut up until I can say for sure.

Comment

Ah, I was hoping there'd be more to that. I guess they can be seen as different aspects of humanity. Not all our traits are compatible.

I was thinking you wouldn't want to be a twin on Galactica. You'd likely end up chucked out an airlock.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  Something struck me as odd though, and the longer fans of the show could probably answer this as it was likely brought up before - out of all the characters of the original show, why did they only carry the men over? Sure, they changed Boomer and Starbuck to women which is fine (Starbuck, in particular, is excellent). But the original show had female characters - Cassiopia, Athena, Sheba. It seems weird to me that they brought all of the male characters (even Boxy) over and not one of the female characters.

depending on where you are this may be a major spoiler - look at your peril

the cylon boomer gets called athena, well her pilot nickname anyway - sure one of them does

Comment

confirmation

after checking tv.com and imdb it is indeed grace parks character's callsign gets called athena

there is a renaming ceremony in the 3rd season

Comment

Yep. The Sharon cylon (the 8 model, I forget) from Caprica (season 1, the one with Helo) is given the Athena callsign. Boomer is the callsign for the first Galactica Sharon. If you catch my drift.

Comment

I'm guessing she doesn't suddenly become Apollo's sister and try to seduce Starbuck?

Comment

That would be asking too much I'm afraid 8)

Comment

Well, I've looked all over for those Resistance webisodes (god I hate merged words like that) and can't seem to get them legitly at all. Anyone know of a way of fooling the scifi website into thinking I'm trying to watch them from a US machine?

Comment

I watched them fine Dogg but they were pretty laggy and sometime a little out of sync... there are downloads, if you look around

Comment

Last one in the series next week, which is a bit of a surprise.

This season has been very mixed - the first 6 or so episodes were absolutely brilliant but then story seemed to suddenly stop. Occasionally they seem to remember the main plot-line\goal but even in the second last episode it was barely mentioned. Too many filler episodes with Starbuck\Apollo, or the Chief or religion that, while entertaining in their own right, didn't have enough to do with the overal arc of the story. This is a shame, because I found the story in the first 6-10 episodes to be pretty much the best thing on TV.

Next week's episode does look great mind, hope they don't cram in too much!

Comment

Working...
                                X