This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    I watched Back To The Future 3 last night. This movie has two huge things that go against it: 1) it's a Western and 2) it doesn't really tie into the events of the first movie. It misses the era-specific fun that the '80s brought to the other two movies, even when set in different time periods.

BUT... I think it's a far better movie than the second one. In a similar switch to Indiana Jones where I felt Temple of Doom was weak and Last Crusade was strong when I a kid but then thought the exact opposite when I watched them again as an adult, I had found myself disappointed with how messy and aimless BttF2 felt on a rewatch, in spite of the end sequence being clever and brilliant. BttF3, on the other hand, has a very clear story, a natural progression and the pacing is great. There is a huge amount of fun but always serving that story. And the Biff we see here I think is excellent. Head and shoulders above future Biff from part 2. I guess part of what goes against it (not tying in to the first movie) allows it to work on its own strengths, whereas 2 spent a large chunk having to deal with events of the ending of the first movie.

So I really enjoyed BttF3. It just suffers I think from feeling like a western with the BttF characters rather than a BttF movie with a western bit. Had they gone back and done what they did at the end of 2 with this, tying it in to both, I think it would have been thought of as much stronger.

Overall, a great trilogy but the star is easily the original for me.
    yeah biff was awesome in BTTF3...and the marty "clint eastwood" thing is brilliant.

Comment

Edge of Tomorrow - a lot better than I expected thought it had some pretty cool action bits, loved the Ground Hog day comedy vibe as well. I think the premise precluded some more action, as they had to fit the story arc in but I would have loved more big battle combat. Thought the romance angle was done well, Tom does remind you in places that he can actually act very well indeed when he wants to and the material allows it. Wasn't surprised at the end to see that Doug Liman co-wrote and directed (although sans shakey-cam thank goodness!)

Comment

The Guest.
        Best to watch it without knowing anything about the story like I did (Not seen the trailer but have been burned before when they reveal far too much).
        Excellent synthy pop music throughout, similar to Drive/Hotline Miami, which really sets the mood.

Comment

Watching Shrek for the first time in ages. Still quality after all these years.

Comment

Originally posted by Fader209 View Post
            The Guest.
            Best to watch it without knowing anything about the story like I did (Not seen the trailer but have been burned before when they reveal far too much).
            Excellent synthy pop music throughout, similar to Drive/Hotline Miami, which really sets the mood.
            I knew the plot before I saw it but still enjoyed the hell out of it, nothing really prepares you for the way it ramps up towards the end. Everyone I've recommended it to has enjoyed it too, they really should've had more faith and chucked more money at the marketing.

*edit*

Just seen Kill me three times which is an Australian movie featuring Simon Pegg. Think of it as a very poor mans pulp fiction episode on a sunny beach setting. Very simple plot thats no where near as smart as it thinks it is dragged out over 90 minutes when it would've been better served as a 20-30 min episode. Pegg is servicable in what little he's given. I wonder why he took on the project other than a nice shoot in Oz
            Last edited by bash; 29-03-2015, 20:00.

Comment

The Guest is the only film other than The Raid 2 I bought on Blu-Ray this year. It's fantastic.

Comment

First time ever watching The Black Cauldron.
                Wow Disney... what were you thinking... ?

Comment

There were a few 80's kiddies dark stuff that I never saw at the time, secret of Nimh, The dark crystal and The Black Cauldron. All of which looked frickin brilliant as a kid.

Comment

"Let's make some money off a not particularly interesting plot", if I remember the film rightly.
                    Like most pre-Pixar Disney.

edit: Dark Crystal WAS great back then, now is passable.

Comment

I've always found the 'Three Seashells' thing from Demolition Man confusing, finally an answer:

Comment

...They'd better be some big seashells some days...

Comment

Couldn't resist picking up Interstellar on BRD, looks aamazing and gave the sub a real work out and my neighbours probably nightmares.

The black hole scenes had the room shaking, film was even better on second viewing.
                          Last edited by Baseley09; 31-03-2015, 22:55.

Comment

Cinderella with the daughter.

Impressed, thought the dialogue and acting was beyond what many kids would appreciate as well as the photography etc. Daughter enjoyed too. Only slight moan was that HBC's best bits were in the trailer, thought she could have had a larger part.

Not impressed with the Frozen filmette. Glad I missed that one, got told off by the daughter by mistaking the snowman thingy for a slug,

Comment

Captain America The Winter Soldier

Superb - 9/10

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                                Couldn't resist picking up Interstellar on BRD, looks aamazing and gave the sub a real work out and my neighbours probably nightmares.

The black hole scenes had the room shaking, film was even better on second viewing.
                                Nolans best for me...and i adore inception.

Bluray is totally stunning.

Comment

Working...
                                X