X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
    hail cesar!
    My partner hated it and fell asleep but I've been wanting to see it for a while and kinda enjoyed it, didn't quite get it all whereas the students beside me where laughing their assess off but some jokes are funny, some really funny but most for me just fell flat, might have been because maybe I don't understand the cinema at the time. When I say I kinda enjoyed it I mean that I got a lot of the jokes but some of it I was like WTF (Scarlett's water sequence) and don't know at the moment why I 'kinda enjoyed' other patrons sounded like it was the best film ever
    I didn't really get it either. The jokes were funny in places and Channing Tatum was, bizarrely, excellent, but when it ended I was like "what?"

I'm not sure what the plot was, because the only thing it really had approaching a story just ended in the most pathetic, unsatisfying way and so by the end I couldn't really say I enjoyed it, even though I enjoyed bits of it a lot. It's the only film of theirs I haven't loved on a first viewing.

Comment

I read a couple of reviews and they say pretty much the same thing except the guardian

Apparently Eddie maddix is based on a real guy who was 'a fixer' and if you know about him the movie makes a lot more sense

Comment

47 Ronin - What an unexpected treat, really enjoyed it. A solid four stars for me, looked gorgeous at times, really hooked me in, all in very enjoyable. Keanu will never win an oscar, but damn it if he isn't cool as **** at times. Makes me want to check out what else he's been up to recently. What's the other one you were raving about @QualityChimp

Comment

John wick John wick John wick

Comment

What Buster said!

Go in cold. No trailers. It's a revenge flick.
            It's not the best film, ever, but it's 100% worth watching.

Comment

Man of Steel
              In prep for BvS. Every time I watch it now I can't help but analyse the films climax and everytime I do the level of destruction caused by Superman gets less and less. So overblown that criticism of the film.

Comment

Watched Ghostbusters 2. Yes, it's inferior to the original. The start is slow and awkward in particular with some scenes where it seemed the actors were oddly uncomfortable with each other. But it has Janosz Poha, Vigo the Carpathian, some fun sequences I enjoy and, overall, I still like this movie. No idea why they changed Janine so much. She seemed way better in the first.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                  47 Ronin - What an unexpected treat, really enjoyed it. A solid four stars for me, looked gorgeous at times, really hooked me in, all in very enjoyable. Keanu will never win an oscar, but damn it if he isn't cool as **** at times. Makes me want to check out what else he's been up to recently. What's the other one you were raving about @QualityChimp
                  For some reason I had thought I'd heard it was bad, but I'm sorely tempted to get the 3d version now. Who would have though, Japanese folks playing Japanese characters.
                  I was amused at how Tadanobu Asano played Kira (the "bad guy"), but the "good guys" were Lord Asano's samurai.

Comment

I read a review of it today, it got absolutely slated. I'm pretty sure I wasn't that drunk last night.

Comment

It really was a good watch, have some faith in your not-so-sober self.

Comment

Human Traffic

For the first time in about ten years, just as brilliant and hilarious as i remembered it to be, with "spliff politics" being a highlight...and also a WTF moment when i realised for the first time that walking dead's rick grimes is in it!

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                          Watching Rocky IV. It's like Nightmare on Elm Street 4 or Last Crusade- perfect for me when I was young but realising now that it's actually one of the weakest. This movie has so little going on. Rocky 1 had the struggle of a man trying to survive and just prove for once that he isn't a failure. Rocky IV has a robot.
                          Personally I love IV due to its craptacular nature.

Rocky (1) is among the best films ever made, in my opinion, especially when you watch it now and see how raw and indie it was. It's really a staggering achievement.

That being said, I don't think much of any of the others, because I feel they all just try to recapture the magic of that first film and crash hard. I like 4 because tonally it's very, very different, is such a product of its era (80s and late Cold War optimism), so I feel it has the most to offer out of any of the sequels when stacked up against 1. Plus, "I must break you", Dolph Lundgren's overblown Soviet Terminator is totally worth seeing.

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                          Originally posted by kryss View Post
                          For some reason I had thought I'd heard it was bad, but I'm sorely tempted to get the 3d version now. Who would have though, Japanese folks playing Japanese characters.
                          I was amused at how Tadanobu Asano played Kira (the "bad guy"), but the "good guys" were Lord Asano's samurai.
                          I couldn't get past Keanu being the main character. I know he's part-east-asian but it still seemed like very odd casting with a convoluted justification.

The original story is one of great drama; I don't feel the supernatural elements justified themselves, and the effects weren't consistent in quality.

Comment

The half-foreigner would always be the outcast, and I doubt anyone else could have played it better. Ancient Japan was always supposed to be a place of monsters, and creatures like Tengu are something rooted in folklore. Seems a shame to see Keanu and not give him the benefit of the doubt, but each to their own I guess.
                            You should probably avoid The Man With The Iron Fists (and the sequel).

Saw John Wick and enjoyed the spectacle of the fights, cried about the dog, but it didn't really grab me.
                            Last edited by kryss; 14-03-2016, 12:08.

Comment

John Wick bored me to tears. I think I'm getting old.

That said, I went in blind as per advice received, which meant I watched it with my wife, who *really* hated it. Her running critique did nothing to warm me to the film.

Comment

You should watch Man of Tai Chi, at least Keanu is 100% bad guy in that.

Comment

Working...
                                X