No announcement yet.

Jeremy Clarkson Fired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never said women weren't funny, I said I couldn't name a single truly great female stand up. Shappi Khorsandi certainly isn't someone I'd put forward as a defence against my comment as she must be one of the worst on TV, though not as bad as the worst of them all, Gina Yashere.

Anyway, Top Gear doesn't need comedians, it needs petrol heads with a sense of humour and personality, be that male or female.

Comment

I know three people who'd be perfect for that.

Comment

Is sue perkins out of the running? damn Sue is awesome, she could present a programme on the end of the world and id tune in

Comment

I definitely think the 'women aren't funny' POV needs to be kaboshed as there are a handful who I don't mind and they prove that cliche wrong. But on the whole they seem a rarer breed currently, certainly not enough of them currently to ensure every episode of a panel show on the PC is passing over better comedians just to tick the female present box. Kind of undermines those who are on panel shows too, never sure if they're selected for their talent or to meet a quota.

Comment

Sure it was Jo Brand who refused to be on a BBC quiz show panel as she knew she was only invited as the "token female" a couple of years back.
            Very few women actually write comedy scripts in the industry too.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
              I never said women weren't funny, I said I couldn't name a single truly great female stand up. Shappi Khorsandi certainly isn't someone I'd put forward as a defence against my comment as she must be one of the worst on TV, though not as bad as the worst of them all, Gina Yashere.

Anyway, Top Gear doesn't need comedians, it needs petrol heads with a sense of humour and personality, be that male or female.
              Gina Yashere is like a child's comedian that has somehow been mixed up with the adults.

Comment

I saw her doing stand-up at Stoke Newington Town Hall in the 90s. Never seen a comedian run from the venue like that afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Largo View Post
                  Is sue perkins out of the running? damn Sue is awesome, she could present a programme on the end of the world and id tune in
                  Yeah, she'd be great.

Comment

Originally posted by Pikate View Post
                    I also think the "women aren't funny" thing is very prevalent in society. For example if a guy bombs on a comedy show it's because he sucks, if a woman bombs it's because women aren't funny.
                    I agree. There are funny men and there are funny women. There are so many more male comedians out there that you're bound to get some great ones just through sheer numbers. Women aren't being given the time and opportunities to hone their comedy skills and sets on stage/on screen and when they do they get shot down. To people who think there are no funny women right now: if they keep it up some will appear.

Back OT, I say just have James May on there. He's the only one I like. I can't stand the other two.

But, yes, petrol heads with personalities would be best. If said petrol head happens to also be a comedian then that's a bonus.

Comment

I'm a big fan of Sarah Millican and Aisling Bea, so I don't subscribe to the "women aren't funny" line either...
                      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Victoria Wood <3 Maybe they could just get a hot lady boy or something...

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                          I'm a big fan of Sarah Millican and Aisling Bea, so I don't subscribe to the "women aren't funny" line either...
                          Sarah Millican only talks about being a woman and being fat. Can't stand her.

Comment

As oppose to male comedians who talk about being human... Her voice used to grate on me but I started to find her very, very funny and then the voice was a non-issue.

Comment

I like Katherine Ryan and Sara Pascoe at the moment and not just because they're attractive, they're funny too!

Jack Whitehall introduces performances from Katherine Ryan and Rich Hall.

Comment

Katherine Ryan is brill to be honest. She's been on Have I Got News For You a few times and held her own.

Comment

Working...
                                X