No announcement yet.

The Marvel Cinematic Multiverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The arc has definitely been light. Most of the first three phases the focus seemed to increasingly be focused on making the characters spend more time together. Thanos has a brief cameo at the end of Avengers and if it weren't for Guardians and Gamora he would only really enter the frame with Infinity War. It's the out of film speculation about the infinity stones etc that fed a lot of the build up as even in the plot of the films Thanos arrives without almost anyone having a clue who he is or what he's after.

I think that's part of the trouble Marvel has at the moment, that a lot of people are invested in the arc narrative and speculation because Infinity War and Endgame really made that central to the experience. Marvel seem to be retreating back to a Phase One sensibility, trying to make audiences invest in new ideas and characters which is wise as many have definitely also experienced a sense of closure with Endgame and they need to maintain interest going forward.

The 'arc' of Phase Four seems pretty obvious now - It's a cool down stage initially that leads into Loki/No Way Home/Multiverse of Madness, introducing the Multiverse and also changing the existing universe's state of reality. It opens them up to the alternate stuff and also is letting them formally bring the Sony made films like Venom and Morbius into the primary canon in a much closer way along with the Garfield and Raimi era Spider-Man characters.

If I were a betting man I'd guess that Phase 5 will be the longest phase and continue to introduce new characters and sequels but with an increasing focus on the multiverse, several of the films teasing Kang before we eventually get Avengers 5 which would be something akin to the first one where all these new heroes get brought together against a common threat and that being around the time X-Men get brought in to the fold. They've already established Kang will be the new Thanos but I'm betting the 'Endgame' equivalent Avengers sequel doesn't happen till around the end of Phase Seven. Basically:

Infinity Saga
    Phases 1-3
    Arc Bridge
    Phase 4
    Multiverse Saga
    Phases 5-7

If that was the case the Endgame scale events would be around 12-15 years apart so not overdone

It's almost ironic that at the moment the Sony led entries are the most interesting ones on a speculation level. The eggs hidden in the Morbius trailer have sent tongues wagging again.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
      It's almost ironic that at the moment the Sony led entries are the most interesting ones on a speculation level. The eggs hidden in the Morbius trailer have sent tongues wagging again.
      Yep. But I feel like these things are an easy distraction and have no bearing on whether a film is good or not. This is why, as much as I think Marvel have generally (not always) done a great job at focussing on making their films entertaining, I think it's wise not to get too hung up on arcs or references to other movies. It's basically the equivalent of a show with cliffhangers - some people will keep watching an atrocious show just because of 30 seconds of a cliffhanger. They're a trapped audience. Similarly, I find the idea that someone will go to a Marvel movie for no other reason than it might somehow tie into another Marvel movie a sign that they're just enticing you in for the wrong reasons.

Comment

By the sounds of the reviews that's what millions of people will be doing this weekend when Eternals comes out, hopefully Marvel remains responsive to not just continue with subpar installments or paths just because the $$$ rolls in for little reason other than its MCU connections. Venom is a curious one as the film didn't really contain any MCU connections (that was even put forward as a complaint) and it's also clearly below the usual quality standard too yet it proved a massive hit, seems there's a thirsty audience for entries that step somewhat outside of the usual style the company itself delivers. Venom 2 was probably the one that most falls into the trap where it's objectively a weaker film than the first and also well below the quality level it should be and yet its post-credit sequence alone became such a focus it practically marketed the film as I suspect Morbius' trailer kind of does too

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
          Having a direction still barely qualifies as an arc.
          Fine, a direction, then. I just mean I like the idea of them building up to something and I'm interested to see that start to emerge.

Comment

I'm assuming they've got an even clearer idea on how they're building to the next equivalent of Infinity War now they know it works.

I really like how they build. As DT knows, not everything needs a cinematic universe, but it works great with Marvel.

Not every episode needs to be amazing, every series revolutionary and every film perfect when they're building to something greater.

Comment

Some leaked spiderman images going around. I wont link or discribe them and it's worth avoiding if you don't want spoilers. Just a heads up.

Comment

Eternals
                Watched it on Sunday and it was... fine. The crux of the issue is that it's a situation of Marvel not paying attention to its own success. The film is different in tone from the other films in the MCU which is kind of nice, there's been too much sameness so it's nice to see them branch out. However, they've chosen to do it at the wrong time. Much has been said over the years about how much Avengers managed to get right in bringing multiple characters together in a cohesive film but this film makes the decision to attempt the same thing but from the opposite approach. We're not just getting a team film, we're getting a cold start one too where the audience has had no intro to them beforehand. Guardians was the only real successful attempt Marvel has had at the same thing however Eternals hugely overeggs the pudding by trying to do the same thing in a film that is slower, more grounded, has to introduce huge world building elements for the wider MCU and also then has to cold-intro over a dozen new characters. The film literally takes its sweet time to tell its story but simply doesn't have the run time to expand on anyone enough for you to care.

It's a mixed bag cast wise as well. Jolie feels like she's given very little to work with, instead being very one note. Chan is the most central character but can't carry it, she's fine but knowing how central the character is supposed to become there's work to be done there. Some of the characters are very one note and others... I'm mindful of moving forward. For example, Harington. I know how liked in GoT he was but if I'm being honest I've never found him to be a very good actor outside of that one role. It's not much different here. There are... three action sequences? I think, or recall, they're all well below the bar of the other MCU films so don't come for that either.

What does work though is the stuff surrounding the Celestials. The imagery, the scale etc is pulled off well and looking at other films going forward as well as potential stuff for how to handle Avenger films, Fantastic Four etc there's now a ton of potential there.

Really, it's a case of it would have been better to bring these characters in over time in other films somehow and build toward an Eternals film so you could skip some of the padding this one has. There's just too much to cover and it's told in too dry a manner. It won't offend the eyes or anything but it still exists at the lower end of the scale for the MCU.

And post credits

These are weak ones this time. First we get hit by Eros' reveal which not only is tonally out of sync with the rest of the film but we then see is going to be Harry Styles, a casting choice that is going to need hard work to convince on.

Then we get Harington again with a voice over line that is not only a hint to a character not appearing for another 3 or so years but you have to google to find out who it is, let alone getting any context as to why they'd be there.

Comment

FYI - Two new images have leaked for No Way Home. Both are very spoilery - one incredibly more so than the other so be careful out there.

Comment

Filmmaker James Gunn has tweeted a photo of himself alongside the main cast of Marvel Studios’ “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” as filming on the last of his ‘Guardians’ films finally gets underway. First announced over four years ago with a script finished over three years ago, Gunn says in the post it has […]

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.3 has finally begun filming

Comment

Comment

As the federal government pushes employers to act, producers are increasingly enforcing the requirements: “Nobody wants an Aaron Rodgers situation."

The production for Black Panther: Wakanda Forever is in trouble. The sequel moves Letitia Wright to the lead role but after she suffered an injury has had to film for two months without her. She was flown home to the UK for recovery but COVID rules bar flights from carrying unvaccinated passengers meaning that the anti-vaxxer actress cannot fly back for filming. Her filming is currently delayed till early 2022.

Comment

anti-vaxxer actress
                          <aggravated sigh>

Comment

Not a confirmation but David Hayter has mentioned that Marvel is lining up a reboot of Daredevil set in the MCU

Comment

https://youtu.be/7mFhaBhuCuQ
                              Not a confirmation but David Hayter has mentioned that Marvel is lining up a reboot of Daredevil set in the MCU
                              How does that fit in with the unspecified images from a certain film?

Comment

I imagine that it'll be the first if several appearances designed to build up to it and to make it clear that the... prior content... is not to be considered relevant

Comment

Working...
                                X