This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
    I haven't seen either of those movies but will look out for them, I love a crazy movie.

I think you should rewatch it, it answers a few more questions each time.

Like the main character in TWM, the main character is 'selected' by the cult without him even realising. He is doomed (or not doomed, if you see that spin) to his fate from the start. He is selected for his brutality, the atrocities he has committed during the war, all the killings are all for the benefit of the cult. They want a pure killer as their leader.

The foreshadowing is through the movie like Blackpool rock and most of it refers to the ending, giving these little, mysterious signs along the way.

The only thing I've never been sure of is if his wife was party to it all. I think not but it's quite messy how that bit at the end is handled.
    Thanks for that answer. Vampire's Kiss is Nicolas Cage at his most craziest but before he started his modern day run... I can see why some people would hate it but it's a bit like American Psycho. Caught Up is a decent and enjoyable b movie so you might like it.

Comment

I loved American Psycho. Bale is insane!

Comment

Yeah from American Psycho and a few other roles and certain things he does I think Bale can become truly unhinged when he wants to. Vampire's Kiss is Cage going crazier than Bale though in every way. I think Ed Harris is just as nuts too when he wants to be.

If you watch those two films please let me know what you think.

Comment

I'd recommend the original Wicker Man but not the remake. It's OK but not a patch at all. Cage isn't even that crazy at all in it.

Comment

Maybe this would be better suited to the horror thread but I watched Jigsaw, the Saw sequel that came out maybe last year. Back story: I actually like the Saw movies. Yeah, they got stupidly convoluted and the last one (maybe the last two, can’t remember) was very bad but there are some good ones in there and some ambitious storytelling given the type of films they are. They just stretched the one gimmick so thin until there was nothing left. So I didn’t really have any need for a revival. But I watched it anyway.

Even in the context of a series of movies that maybe few will remember as classics, Jigsaw is a terrible and stupid movie. The story is of no consequence whatsoever and so really couldn’t have launched any more. It’s pointless. And on its own merits, it’s very, very stupid. It has nothing fresh so it’s the same old stuff - a Jigsaw game. But this game has a bunch of players who could all die in the first game and, each time, could die again and yet the subsequent games all specific people to do ridiculously precise things to kick them off. Right from the second part of the game, it just seems ridiculously flawed and that compounds throughout the entire movie. It makes no sense.

It’s a gory movie, as you’d expect from this kind of film but it’s distractingly gory, being gory where it doesn’t need to be and what it lacks is any real tension. Even the gory stuff doesn’t have any weight to it. It was hard to care.

It was directed by the Spierig brothers. They’ve made some cool films. This isn’t one of them.

Comment

West Side Story

Just... gruelling.

Amazing choreography though, and terrific numbers. America, Somewhere, Office Krupke, Tonight, Cool, Maria - all great, and supposedly very difficult to perform.

Comment

Wrong Turn 2, kinda for the first time in full but have seen the last half on nights at work a couple of times, it's just an awesome, fun splatter movie.

Yeah, most of the action takes place in broad daylight, you can see everything those inbred mutants are doing and you can guarantee it's always messy! Henry Rollins awesome in this, they should've...nah, don't wanna spoiler...

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                  West Side Story

Just... gruelling.

Amazing choreography though, and terrific numbers. America, Somewhere, Office Krupke, Tonight, Cool, Maria - all great, and supposedly very difficult to perform.
                  We were watching it this afternoon. Yeah, the songs are great. It must have undergone some remastering too ... it looked immaculate.

Comment

Watched the Bad Education movie yesterday. Not great.

Comment

I fancied a bit of Cronenberg so watched Videodrome last night. For me it's the ultimate late night feature. Not seen it in ages and finally got around to plucking the hefty Arrow LE off the shelf. Great to watch it again. Looks brill on blu as you'd expect but my fave part of this particular upgrade is the sound ... with Howard Shore's dark synth score booming away, perfectly setting the scene.

Comment

Picked this up on eBay for £3. High quality black and white footage of Bob at the Newport festival is '63, '64 and '65. Brilliant.

Comment

Watched Deathgasm off THC on Sunday night, I'd recommend it if you like heavy metal and Peter Jackson's pre-Hollywood stuff, it's a New Zealand splatterfest that's very likeable but maybe a bit all over the place at points.

I'd recommend it purely for the deaths by dildo. A few of the demon zombies get killed with sex aids. You don't often see *that*.

Comment

Got tickets to the Ghibli museum in a few weeks so we're going through Ghibli stuff:

Mary and the Witch's Flower

Not Ghibli, but by some ex-Ghibli people. And it was in the Ghibli section of the rental shop. It wasn't bad, but it hadn't started wrapping up until about ten minutes were left. Then it sort of whooshed through and just finished.

Nausica

Finally saw this. This right here is the good stuff. Humans have messed up the planet so much that all these fungi and spores have taken over.

Howl's Moving Castle

This was also my first watch. Lovely. The fire was cute af. I felt Sophie fell in love with the Howl for no apparent reason, though.

Comment

The Little Mermaid
                              Still failing to get SFJr1 to have the attention span to sit through a whole movie for a second time in his life we attempted and failed with this. Otherwise, still a damn good film.

Comment

Watched Three Billboards on the plane, I don't usually watch films on the plane due to them being edited. Apparently (according to KLM) this wasn't. It certainly had loads of effin and jeffin.
                                I was a bit disappointed, I thought the scene where the new pohleese chief could have been done much better, he wasn't as swingeing as I would have liked, also the ending was rubbish, my mouth dropped when the credits started appearing, I couldn't believe it would end there.
                                7/10.

Comment

Working...
                                X