X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweeeet!
    Runaway is on Prime!

Comment

Watched Avengers Infinity War on Monday.

UHD Blu-ray is crazy pretty!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        Sweeeet!
        Runaway is on Prime!
        The Tom Selleck film?

Never seen it but the video cover always put me in mind of a producer demanding 'one of them Blade Runner films'

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          The Tom Selleck film?

Never seen it but the video cover always put me in mind of a producer demanding 'one of them Blade Runner films'
          The VHS cover plays up to the BR vibe, but it's more of an alternative 80s with robots rather than the far-flung future. The gun he's holding is actually used by the bad guy, not Selleck!

Speaking of which, the bad guy is Gene Simmons and he looks totally evil! I had no idea who he was when I saw it as a kid.

It's actually more of a cop thriller than sci-fi film.

It's written and directed by Michael Crichton, who does a decent job, like on Westworld.

The score is by Jerry Goldsmith and has a cool Tron feel.

Loads of faces you'd recognise like Kirstie Alley (Cheers), Stan Shaw (Roots), G.W. Bailey (Police Academy), Joey Cramer (Flight of the Navigator) and Chris Mulkey (The Purge).

Tom Selleck and Gene Simmons starred in Michael Crichton's 1984 sci-fi thriller, Runaway. Ryan looks back at a flawed yet intriguing film...

[MENTION=25]charlesr[/MENTION] sideways didn't help!

Comment

Upgrade, possibly one of the best sci fi movies this year dont hesitate to get on it.

Comment

I shall have to check it out ... them's some decent credentials.

But you had me at this

the bad guy is Gene Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                Upgrade, possibly one of the best sci fi movies this year dont hesitate to get on it.
                Where can I watch it, Base-o?
                Been wanting to watch that for a while.

Nearly tagged you in the Runaway chatter, actually!
                It's gotta be one you've seen?

Comment

Gene Simmons is really evil looking!

Comment

Where can I watch it, Base-o?
                    Been wanting to watch that for a while.

Nearly tagged you in the Runaway chatter, actually!
                    It's gotta be one you've seen?
                    Its on Showbox so must be on download, i think it will have a limited run so will be on official streams soon.

I think i actually have Runaway on dvd, if not ive deffo seen it much overlooked, love cynthia rhodes!

Need to revisit and other 80s miscalaneous sci fi like black moon rising and Cherry 2000

Comment

Runaway is fooking class. Those robot spiddas.

Comment

To manage the expectations of those who haven't seen it, it's aged really badly and the "futuristic" robots are hilarious these days!

Comment

You have let yourself down there! *slugs chimpy in gut*

Comment

Ok, if you are using chrome, press "desktop version" in chrome settings, before pressing edit!
                            The VHS cover plays up to the BR vibe, but it's more of an alternative 80s with robots rather than the far-flung future. The gun he's holding is actually used by the bad guy, not Selleck!

Speaking of which, the bad guy is Gene Simmons and he looks totally evil! I had no idea who he was when I saw it as a kid.

It's actually more of a cop thriller than sci-fi film.

It's written and directed by Michael Crichton, who does a decent job, like on Westworld.

The score is by Jerry Goldsmith and has a cool Tron feel.

Loads of faces you'd recognise like Kirstie Alley (Cheers), Stan Shaw (Roots), G.W. Bailey (Police Academy), Joey Cramer (Flight of the Navigator) and Chris Mulkey (The Purge).

Tom Selleck and Gene Simmons starred in Michael Crichton's 1984 sci-fi thriller, Runaway. Ryan looks back at a flawed yet intriguing film...

[MENTION=25]charlesr[/MENTION] sideways didn't help! [emoji38]

Comment

Has anyone seen Triangle on Netflix? Completely nuts. My sister recommended it but I read the intro on Netflix and thought it sounded balls, so left it. But later thought I'd give it half an hour. I really enjoyed it. Some seriously messed up scenes and even vaguely makes sense at the end which is nice.

Comment

I will look out for that next time I pop the PS3 on.

Watched a very strange one tonight. 'The Man With The Iron Fists', it was doing the rounds on Film4 a coupla weeks back. It's Rza from Wu-Tang's vanity movie project. And it's all over the place, it's really gory, brilliantly shot with amazing locations and has Russell Crowe acting proper big daddy cool (he's the best thing in it, he's brill in this)

BUT

The Rza is a rubbish actor. He's made some of THE most iconic, genius beats in hip hop (seriously, nothing comes close to some of his 90s beats, they still sound like they were touched by gods). But damn he's baaaaad. No presence, mumbles, no charisma, oh god it just jumps outta the screen, it's jarring, he looks so amateur, especially when he's onscreen with Crowe, who is on fire. Lifeless.

He should've let his ego take a back seat, he wrote it, directed it, did the BGM, but in all honesty his title character feels like an extra who can't act, they should've got a better lead...

...but I think the point was to see Rza as some kind of vintage kung fu badass because that's what the fans want...and therein lies the rub.
                                Last edited by JazzFunk; 07-09-2018, 04:07.

Comment

Working...
                                X