Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tom Cruise Has No Plans To Retire - Dark Horizons
    Cruise says that he has no intention of leaving the Mission Impossible franchise and hopes to follow in Harrison Ford's footsteps by continuing to do action roles for the coming decades

Comment

This has been getting some outstanding reviews. Peter Bradshaw gave it five stars, which surprised me. Mark Kermode really liked it, too. It sounds like it builds very well on the McQuarrie/Cruise style established in Rogue Nation and developed in Fallout, and provides a further refined version of that formula.

I'm really looking forward to seeing it now.

Comment

I've just come back from an Indiana Jones/ Mission Impossible double bill. No spoilers.

They are somewhat similar plot-wise and the action set pieces on paper are also similar. Watching both really shows that Mission Impossible is premier cinema and I'd be more surprised if it didn't get 5 stars. You won't be disappointed.

Comment

Comment

Finally managed to catch up on Mission Impossible 5 - Rogue Nation. This one has catapulted to the second best (so far!) on my MI Revisited series. Sean Harris is a pretty good baddie, Rebecca Ferguson absolutely kicks arse and is (reasonably) convincing on the hand to hand stuff, thankfully they actually do highlight the real strength differences between females and males which make if far more realistic. Some really well timed humour (missing in a couple of the previous ones) break up the serious bits and there are the usual awesome stunts, the one where he is attached to the side of the plane is just totally nuts. I just need to get to Fallout before I go to the cinema next weekend.

Oh loved the little nod to Bond and Honey Ryder when Ilsa gets out of the pool in Morocco

Comment

Watched it yesterday with the kids at the Showcase Deluxe in Reading. Massive screen and super clear sound. A sniper shot near the start was startling. Great stunts. Didn't look at my watch. Good action film

Comment

Saw this last night. It was quite enjoyable but did remind me of Dial of Destiny a bit too much with the find the thing that leads to the other thing to get the MacGuffin plot. The sequence with the train while unoriginally initially does end up quite inventive and really well done. Ving Rhames has been reduced to Basil Exposition though.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                  Saw this last night. It was quite enjoyable but did remind me of Dial of Destiny a bit too much with the find the thing that leads to the other thing to get the MacGuffin plot. The sequence with the train while unoriginally initially does end up quite inventive and really well done. Ving Rhames has been reduced to Basil Exposition though.
                  Not the only one who thought this had unnerving similarities to Indy 5, and not just the two-part McGuffin. Or there being a steam train sequence. Or various other things needing spoiler protection. (Also hope Ving gets more to do in part 2.)

Enjoyed this overall, but two things really didn’t sit well with me, the flabby pacing and…

Ilsa getting fridged in a really gratuitous way. That tired trope was a major black mark against this film, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                  X