The Star Trek Cinematic Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Star Trek: Strange New Worlds" Gets S3? - Dark Horizons
    Though not officially announced yet, filming appears to have started on Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Season 03

Comment

I'm not quite as enamoured as some with Season 3 of Picard, but I think it's good.

Important point though is that I thought Season 2 was the absolute pits. It had 2-3 good moments interspersed throughout the episodes but on the whole I thought it was terrible, and I found Season 1 pretty inoffensive.

Comment

Fans Push For "Picard" Spin-Off "Legacy" - Dark Horizons
        Fans and some of the cast petition for a Picard sequel series called Star Trek: Legacy

Comment

No need… well, that could be good actually. This season is superb and such a change from the last one. Although sometimes it’s okay to let things be good and then stop.

Comment

Decades on from first being mooted Star Trek: Starfleet Academy has been greenlit to series.

And still doesn't sound remotely appealing either

Comment

Picard s3 ep9 - oh man

I had a feeling they couldn't resist using the Borg as the final bad guy, but the reveal was great, their plan super sneaky and quite tense ramp up mainly due to feeling they could kill off Shaw at any moment... i really hope they somehow save him, he's easily the best new character they've come up in the new era and "Ship is yours Seven of Nine" was get way to go out, if it does turn out to be his last (please no) and then be big pay off with D and the interactions with the old crew on the escape and getting on the bridge, love it. Only wish the takeover hadn't been so violent, would've much preferred the taken over crew members to just assimilate anyone they caught, keep the mass of death and destruction to irredeemable crap like discovery. I assume the rescue plan is board the Cube, get jack and then he'll mind control it all away somehow.

Looking forward to the last episode on Friday

Comment

Star Trek: Section 31 is finally moving ahead as a movie for Paramount+

Comment

Comment

More "Star Trek" Streaming Films Planned - Dark Horizons
                    Following Star Trek: Section 31, Paramount plans an event movie for their streaming service once every two years.

Comment

So rare i get to finish in a show and feel joy, Picard S3 is fantastic. Until they feel like giving Terry Matalas another show, this is end for Star Trek for me, everything else is just toilet water, idiots will be back on the bridge acting like teenagers complete with snarky one liners and healthy disrespect for Star Treks legacy across all the shows.

Comment

I'm so behind. I've only just started Picard Season 2.

Episode 1 - Meh, okay
                        Episode 2 - WTF is going on in the writers room?!

Comment

I don’t say this lightly but… skip it. Seriously. Just skip to season 3. Season 2 is bad and it just keeps on getting worse.

I just watched the last episode of season 3 and it was sweet and beautiful. Season 3 is like an entirely different show. I loved it. So strong.

Comment

S2 was obviously bad enough the writers have completely ignored everything that happened in s3.

Comment

I barely remember s2. A sign it was trash. S3 was excellent. Very refreshing after the disastrous Discovery season.

Comment

Entirely irrelevant to most here but still it's some sort of rough Trek anniversary and I've recently seen a lot of Trek content on YouTube, plus with Picard s3, decided to re-watch Star Trek Nemesis.

It's quite telling that one of those videos talked about the response to the movie, and there are literally videos of the cast, on stage, at conventions, unguarded, saying "the director was a moron" to a crowd of people. So it's clear that the movie's difficult reputation is both internal and external.

I've seen all the other Trek movies more times than I care to count. 5 would be the fewest times but I've still seen it plenty. But I've only watched Nemesis 3 times; once in cinemas, once just after it came out on DVD and once over the last weekend.

I will hold my hand up and say that I really like Generations and Insurrection. Despite their problems (and I can see them), Generations had some great fan service and was at least fun, while Insurrection was basically a big-budget TNG episode and as a series fan, I was fine with that too. Due to all this, I wondered if, with the time having passed, and having gotten through Picard s2, whether I would view it with a bit more fondness.

Short answer is no. What the hell happened with it? It's just terrible. One of the YouTube videos reminded me that, at the time, a screenplay was leaked online and it has been suggested the film performed poorly because the premise, i.e. "Picard fights an evil clone of himself" leaked, and people were very critical. Certainly on paper it seemed a bad idea.

There's just loads of stuff. I think it has what sometimes gets called an "idiot plot", i.e. too many characters have to be idiots to make it work. I mean, right at the start, they bring a Soong android onto the ship and decide to assemble it and leave it unobserved - when the last time they did this, the android turned out to be a supervillain.

There's even basic filmmaking errors. There are numerous scenes where instead of a corridor, the backdrop is a painting of a corridor, which is pretty standard practice in movies; but they're filmed from steep angles which ruin the effect and make it so obvious as to look almost comical. It's just sloppy.

The main thing which seemed a shame, is how the movie doesn't have the sense of finality of Star Trek VI because it wasn't meant to be the final TNG movie. It just retroactively assumed that role because it was the lowest performing movie of the whole set. It's such a shame that TNG ended on a low note, which I guess is one of the reasons Picard s3 is so fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X