No announcement yet.

Rick & Morty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If anything, I'm quite happy that they're cutting him out the loop.

We bloody love Harry Potter in our house, but flipping JKR makes it hard to get involved without thinking she's getting some cash somewhere even though I know she didn't program the game, design the Lego or build the bloody roller coaster.

Last edited by QualityChimp; 25-01-2023, 11:06.

Comment

It gives the third Fantastic Beasts film something of its own, doesn't seem like they made much money out of that one

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        We bloody love Harry Potter in our house, but flipping JKR makes it hard to get involved without thinking she's getting some cash somewhere even though I know she didn't program the game, design the Lego or build the bloody roller coaster.
        Yeah, there are levels to it.

I stopped with Rurouni Kenshin years ago, because (1) the creator was exposed as a pedophile and (2) the Kenshin franchise was directly funding his legal defense. That's a distinct situation because the franchise was old, so everyone working on it had long since made money off it, and there was relatively little actively going on with it (I think it happened after the movies had concluded too). So by buying Kenshin stuff you were directly funding his legal defense, and while that period eventually drew to a close, it lasted long enough to damage the franchise, and now it's pretty much dead.

I've seen people debate the thing about Michael Jackson, because Jackson's dead, so Jackson himself can't materially benefit from it. I guess I can understand that being a line to draw in the sand, if a person chooses.

JKR's thing is that her stuff is ongoing, so those who oppose her views see funding her as part of an ongoing problem. This admittedly is also the flip side of something she herself built; that-is-to-say, from the very early days of that franchise, she made it all about her. She guarded the film rights with great care and made very strong demands about her involvement; same for why the theme park went to Universal instead of Disney as was originally planned. At every stage she went in hard to be like authors like Tom Clancy, whose name is synonymous with their work, to the degree where "Tom Clancy's..." became a brand name that was slapped on tons of stuff he didn't work on (the opposite of the problem JKR was trying to avoid, i.e. the brand becoming huge and people forgetting the author). Obviously you reap what you sow and that makes her inexorably linked to it, and anyone who decided to work on it or with it shares in the risk that comes from that.

Comment

Hulu Cut Ties With Solar Opposites' Roiland - Dark Horizons
          Hulu has now dropped Roiland from Solar Opposites and Koala Man.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            However, it does sound like he's an awful human being and this was going to happen sooner or later.
            He seems to have texted a few minors and been sexually inappropriate in those messages, abusing his status to get into conversation with them.
            Some have asked why he has been dismissed from all these roles just for being charged, not necessarily if found guilty.

The story doing the rounds online is that he's been accused of tons of behaviour like this, but Adult Swim etc. were running a risk if they dismissed him without a proper investigation, which was probably ongoing due to how they've handled these things in the past (obviously they should always take accusations seriously; however being pragmatic, if they fired him on an accusation which later is proven to be false without them looking at it, he could sue them back to the stone age).

But the charges have acted as a catalyst that has drawn a line under these investigations, and given them a viable reason to dismiss him that if, in the highly, highly, highly unlikely that all the accusations are false and the court case completely exonerates him, they have a legal "get-out" to say it wasn't unreasonable of them to fire him.

Comment

being horrible and sexual inappropriate online with young girls on his verified twitter account is enough to get him sacked. For somebody like him who's trading of his reputation this is all it takes. The battery and false imprisonment charges bring a criminal element to the stuff hes done, peoples have been canceled for a lot less rightly or wrongly.
              Last edited by Lebowski; 26-01-2023, 10:55.

Comment

"A-a-aw jeez Rick, th-they're really onto him... th-they - they're gonna fire him from the s-show Rick!"

"You've gotta keep that **** to yourself Morty - you've gotta keep - keep that **** quiet. I'm not going down with him, betray me and I will end you *burp* You gotta keep everything you know to yourself or I'm gonna offer him up your DM's Morty... I'm-I'm gonna let him slip into your DM's Morty"

Comment

"Rick & Morty" Staffers On Roiland Fallout - Dark Horizons
                  A report suggests Dan Harmon should be fine continuing without Roiland as the two are said to have not been on speaking terms for a few years now. The suggestion is that Roiland recorded his voice work from home and hadn't been involved in production etc since the third season.

Could well be the case though you can't help but get 'damage control' vibes from that one

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                    "Rick & Morty" Staffers On Roiland Fallout - Dark Horizons
                    A report suggests Dan Harmon should be fine continuing without Roiland as the two are said to have not been on speaking terms for a few years now. The suggestion is that Roiland recorded his voice work from home and hadn't been involved in production etc since the third season.

Could well be the case though you can't help but get 'damage control' vibes from that one
                    I actually believe it. A really large number of professional voice actors have been doing this, building their own home studios and working from there. It allowed them to work seamlessly through COVID. This is partially because the equipment needed to do it has become so much more affordable due to the demand from things like streaming.

Comment

I assume then that the only reason they didn't recast ages ago when his involvement dropped off was because he would have a stake in it that the outrage now has created a way of severing him from (to a degree)?

Comment

"Morty" Co-Creator Roiland Cleared Of Charges - Dark Horizons
                        Due to lack of evidence

Comment

He wrote some lengthy post about being cancelled and getting back to work and someone said "I've heard that's the most he's written in years..."

Comment

If hes not convicted of anything he should be reinstated on his previous projects then Rick and Morty squanch games ect. they wont bring him back on board though as the problem with the US is theirs pretty much no employment Law that prevents you from being sacked as you can be let go for pretty much anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                              being horrible and sexual inappropriate online with young girls on his verified twitter account is enough to get him sacked. For somebody like him who's trading of his reputation this is all it takes. The battery and false imprisonment charges bring a criminal element to the stuff hes done, peoples have been canceled for a lot less rightly or wrongly.
                              Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                              If hes not convicted of anything he should be reinstated on his previous projects then Rick and Morty squanch games ect. they wont bring him back on board though as the problem with the US is theirs pretty much no employment Law that prevents you from being sacked as you can be let go for pretty much anything.
                              What changed between these two posts?

Comment

whats changed? Reflection, i need to not get drawn into these news cycles where flood gates seem to open about how terrible someone is and everyone quickly jumps on the hate wagon. He's not been proven guilty of anything and the tweets accredited to him where never verified, he could be a completely horrible person he could be the just a normal dude none of us know.

The internet is full of people in the comment sections of news articles all still saying that he's guilty, the old adage no smoke without fire or mud sticks is in full effect here.
                                Last edited by Lebowski; 23-03-2023, 14:29.

Comment

Working...
                                X