• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More films for Woovember challenges.

Dragon
    (2011 via DVD) - "Watch a film starring Jimmy Wang Yu"
    I wrote about this in the Fu thread.

Mission: Impossible (1996 via DVD) - "Watch an action film starring Tom Cruise"
    First time watching this since the cinema, I think. As a fan of the TV show, I was annoyed that they basically started with that format, then threw it all away to focus on Cruise. On a rewatch, I can see how they're trying to cut ties and start with something different. It's still a fun little conspiracy thriller, though. Funny how the highlight of this film is the vault hack and in the later films, Ethan Hunt is doing HALO jumps through storm clouds or hanging onto a plane taking off!

The Expendables 2 (2012 via Prime) - "Watch a film with Dolph Lundgren/Jason Statham"
    I didn't like the first film because all the action was ruined with shakeycam. There's a lot less of that in the sequel, but it's such a poor film. About 20 mins in, my son asked what I was watching and if it was any good. "No" "Then why are you watching it?!"
    Instead of seeing it as a modern action film, I readjusted to thinking of it like a fantasy action comedy and ended up having more fun.
    On face value, though, it's a complete crock. Everyone uses their catchphrases for a joke and all the main heroes are invulnerable, standing in the open, muscles glistening as they empty their high-calibre machine guns in slow motion, every round hitting the enemies who are unable to hit the side of a barn door.
    Plot predictability: "I'm the youngest of the group and am going to do one more mission before quitting and starting a new life with my French nurse girlfriend. I'm just going to pop this red shirt on..."
    I'd probably say avoid, unless you want a drinking game or to laugh at it.

Virus (1980 via Plex) - "Watch a film starring Henry Silva"
    I've seen this before but wanted to remind myself. I think I was expecting a load of post-apocalyptic high jinx, but most city scenes are shot with the camera pointing up, so you just see the sky.
    In reality, it's pretty brave for a high-budget (Japan's highest at the time, it's rumoured), star-studded drama as it's pretty depressing. Think Threads or When the Wind Blows.
    It is an interesting watch, seeing what disaster comes next, but also seeing a multinational cast interacting, plus seeing what effects they use.
    I needed a cuddle after finishing it, though.

Mission: Impossible II (2000 via DVD) - "Watch a film directed by John Woo/starring Tom Cruise"
    Interesting to see the change in pace. I reckon Cruise caught some clips of some Heroic Bloodshed and said "Get that guy to direct the sequel!"
    Fun to revisit, but it's hilariously of its time with Limp Bizkit and Metallica on the soundtrack. The usual Woo tropes of two similar men but one good and one evil predicting each other's moves, both loving the same woman then fighting in slow-motion.
    Ups the action ante, loads though! Just the introduction to Hunt is thrilling with him free-climbing a vertigo-inducing mountain before throwing his mission info Oakleys at the camera as they explode and the credits begin over a rock cover of Lalo Schifrin's classic theme.
    I watched some of the extras and Cruise did looooads of stuff. The wire descent, base jump, motorcycle stunts and knife by the eye were all practical stunts performed by Cruise with a bit of movie magic.
    Personally, after these two, the series reinvents itself and each film gets better.
    My son preferred the original as there's too much smooching in M:I 2.

A Better Tomorrow II (1987 via Archive dot org) - "Watch a film directed by John Woo/starring Dean Shek"
    Perfectly watchable, but a pretty unengaging plot, to be honest.
    They also use the trope of the previously unmentioned twin to replace a dead character from the first film.
    However, nobody was doing Heroic Bloodshed in the 80s like John Woo and you could just enjoy gifs of Chow Yun-fat being cool AF, like sliding down stairs, getting guns through windows and chucking grenades and not looking at the explosion.

Last edited by QualityChimp; 16-11-2022, 07:32.

Comment

Partly inspired by this thread, I made a decision recently to track my film-watching a bit more closely and as such signed up an account on Letterboxd - if anyone else uses it, I'm over here! I started listing films I'd watched, rating those I newly watched, and most importantly, making lists of what I wanted to watch. I was off work last week and my girlfriend was away, so I took the opportunity to watch a lot of things I felt would be less palatable for the two of us to watch together.

The Killing of a Sacred Deer - very unsubtle in its attempts to be surreal and creepy, but it worked well enough to keep me on edge throughout. A few scenes in particular that'll stay with me, for sure.

Sound of Metal - had expected to like this more, but the "I'm a musician" angle goes right out of the window early on in favour of exploring deaf identity, in a way which I understand is perhaps not the most sensitive? I am not an expert. Performances are good and the sound design is amazing though.

Manchester by the Sea - liked this a lot. Some of the characters are underused, but I quite like that it doesn't try to glamourise or solve a character's grief, it just lets it hang there ever-present.

The Northman - have been curious about Robert Eggers' work, and honestly as the first of his that I've watched it was a little underwhelming. There's some amazing cinematography and it all feels very well detailed, but I just didn't find it that interesting.

Mandy - properly blew me away, this one. Love its dreamlike quality, the surrealism, the visuals, the score (there was a very knowing nod when I saw Stephen O'Malley in the credits). I enjoyed the first hour most of all, but I also think Nic Cage was a great pick for someone who'd be willing to go to the places it needed in the latter half. One of my favourite watches in years.

Green Room - raw as hell, snappy and brutal. Gets tense real quick, lets you know it's not pulling any punches, and from that it all just builds and builds. Very good. Patrick Stewart is underused as a bastard.

The Place Beyond the Pines - ok performances and reasonably shot, but the storytelling gets increasingly crap as it sloppily connects one story to the next. Lost interest by the end. Nah.

Titane - got a bit caught up trying to work out what some of the more surprising surface level things were meant to mean, but the core of the latter half was a bit more clear and dare I say it, sweet? It's very striking and certainly got me thinking, so lots of plus points for that.

Comment

Bill & Ted Face the Music

Honestly, I wasn't so sold on the first two thirds of the movie, but I felt the ending came together extremely well and that saved it.

Comment

Enter The Dragon and Air Force One.

I watched EtD with the commentary on by the producer. It was a little dry and lots of pauses and it was mainly just saying how ace Bruce Lee was. I dipped into the extras on the first disc (there's a 2nd with even more) and found the making-of documentary to be really good, with lots of archive interviews and it wasn't just about Lee, but the cast and crew were also talked about. Yes, it's Lee Magnum Opus, but his fellow fighters add to the flavour and he'd be nothing without enemies like Bolo, O'Hara and Han to go against.
          The mirror room was inspired by a restaurant the director/producer went to by the toilets and they had a brainwave for the finale, but couldn't convince Lee until he saw it himself.
          The drugged-up prostitutes were strippers brought in from elsewhere because the locals don't like to portray themselves taking drugs or having painted faces! They were paid by the hour and the scene was a long shoot!

Air Force One, I think I've seen before, but I'd forgotten 99% of it, so who knows?
          I think I keep confusing it with Executive Decision, which is a much better film.
          AFO cribs loads off Die Hard and it's a high-concept action thriller, but owes a lot to the OG.
          It's so jingoistic, though and that score is full of pomp and ceremony. Originally, it was done by Randy Newman, but was ditched for being too twee, so Jerry Goldsmith was brought in and smashed the final score out.
          Goldsmith had to ban Trump from using the score at rallies!
          No commentary, but I listened to the Film Stories podcast (where I got the above score info), where the main take away is that when Ford picks up his phone, people listen!
          Also watched a documentary on the miniatures and there's a really obvious CGI section towards the end which is universally accepted as a bad decision.

Last edited by QualityChimp; 16-11-2022, 07:49.

Comment

I finally got round to watching Casablanca. It's just as brilliant as its status promises. Looked amazing on 4k UHD too ... really, HDR makes black & white films look stunning.

Also watched Nope again. Just as amazing as I remember ... although some of the more subtle moments

in the sky

lose something in the transition to the small screen.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
              I think I keep confusing it with Executive Decision, which is a much better film.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                I finally got round to watching Casablanca. It's just as brilliant as its status promises. Looked amazing on 4k UHD too ... really, HDR makes black & white films look stunning.

Also watched Nope again. Just as amazing as I remember ... although some of the more subtle moments

in the sky

lose something in the transition to the small screen.
                Casablance is the shiznit. I did not know it was on UHD now...wasn't long ago I bought the Premium Collection version on bog standard Blu, d'oh.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                  Pretty much the only bit people remember.

Comment

It's like Executive Decision in that regard, the bit with Segal's exit is the go to reference

Comment

It's like Executive Decision in that regard, the bit with Segal's exit is the go to reference
                      I watched Executive Decision earlier this year and I found it to be a much better film, IMHO.
                      A little gem most people have unfairly forgotten about.

Funnily enough, I think part of the issue with AFO is that:
                      1. I'm not American, so all that patriotism is wasted on me.
                      2. Post-Trump, I have a lot less respect for the role of the President.

I was watching one of the Craig Bonds and Dench is roasting him and says "The PM was furious" or words to that effect and it's just lost any impetus behind it, post-Johnson.

Comment

The key thing in ED's favour is that Kurt Russell is always a safe bet

Comment

Woovember has a task of "Watch an action film starring Wesley Snipes to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Blade II and the 30th anniversary of Passenger 57". I was up for a Blade rewatch and even dug out the Blade II DVD, but wanted to watch something else with him in, rather than play it safe.

Liberty Stands Still (2002 Via FreeVee).
                          Other than I knew Snipes was in it, I knew nothing about this.
                          The basic premise is that a woman is forced by a sniper to remain in one spot or he will kill her and innocent people.
                          As the two speak over the phone we start to learn more about the sniper and his victim and how they are linked.

Similar in premise to Phone Booth, released in the same year, it's a fun little thriller that I wouldn't have stumbled across.
                          Nothing astonishing, but some great acting from Wesley Snipes and Linda Fiorentino.

One unusual thing is there's this techno score that runs throughout. At first it's fine, then it feels intrusive, finally it feels like it's part of the film's DNA, but it's an unusual choice, for sure.

Comment

I watched Glass Onion last night. It’s the sequel to Knives Out. The cast and the performances are great and the movie manages to stay a lot of fun throughout. So overall, it’s a really entertaining movie. There is one section that covers parts of the story from a different point of view and it felt like it should have been way, way shorter than it was and so the effect to me was that it felt like a short movie that became a long movie. But it’s very enjoyable and I was happy to see it on a big screen. Not sure it’s getting much of a cinema release, if at all.

Comment

The key thing in ED's favour is that Kurt Russell is always a safe bet

This statement could be thoroughly misconstrued as some random, Mumsnet bait!!

Comment

I saw DT's post on Friday and got excited thinking I could watch Glass Onion this weekend. I could not

I did however get to watch Videodrome at the local cinema last week. Couldn't remember much of it, but very much enjoyed having my memory refreshed. For a film doing weird and shocking stuff that is older than I am, it all holds up magnificently.

Watched Thoroughbreds on Saturday night. Liked it rather than loved it - central performances are great and there's some nice darkly comic moments, but it's all so tightly focused on them that there really isn't anything else to think about after.

Aaaand then watched Roadrunner. I could watch Tony Bourdain stuff almost endlessly, and there is inherent entertainment value in it being about him. As a documentary though it loses its way; trying way too hard to 'solve' him, and then I also remembered that there was the whole AI voice thing, which is pretty gross.

Comment

Working...
                                X