Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spider-man: Far from Home - finally got around to watching this now that I got Endgame out of the way. enjoyed it but not as good as the first one. There were some really genuine laugh out loud parts so it gets kudos for that. The villain was a bit weak, but I loved the teeny weeny Tony Stark cameo. As always the effects and everything are superb, it looked amazing. I probably should watch Captain Marvel next as I missed this one - oops! I did like the first Dr Strange movie so I'm looking forward to the next Spidey one and then his own outing.

Comment

Re-watched Robocop this week for the first time in a long time. It was the super-violent director's cut too and another great 4K release from Arrow. Had a great time watching it but as with many films, going back it feels like there's less to them than you remember. Still amazing though.

Comment

I'm sure you knew this Atticus, but it's fun so I'm gonna post it anyway - I really like how Robocop has a palindromic structure:

Get access to over 500 film industry professionals including agents and producers over 70 sessions and three days. The London Screenwriters' Festival is the leading screenwriting event to help you improve your screenplay and make contacts that who get your script made.

It's one of my favourite films. Just love the ending. Nice shooting son, what's your name? Murphy. *smash cut* ROBOCOP

Excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
          I'm sure you knew this Atticus, but it's fun so I'm gonna post it anyway - I really like how Robocop has a palindromic structure:

Get access to over 500 film industry professionals including agents and producers over 70 sessions and three days. The London Screenwriters' Festival is the leading screenwriting event to help you improve your screenplay and make contacts that who get your script made.

It's one of my favourite films. Just love the ending. Nice shooting son, what's your name? Murphy. *smash cut* ROBOCOP

Excellent.
          Oh wow, that's awesome. Amazing bit of triv Seems so obvious seeing it laid out but in the midst of the film you'd never notice.

Hoping Starship Troopers makes it over here at some point ... the UHD has been out in the states for ages.

Comment

Yeah, it's brilliant, isn't it?

I just love Verhoeven's trilogy of Hollywood films that satirise American culture. They're absolute genius (yeah, even Showgirls). Starship Troopers is probably the most subversive of the three and, I reckon, one of the most brilliantly subversive films of all time. Robocop is overall the best film of the three though in my opinion.

I've got the US UHD of Starship that you mention, it is easily snagged from Amazon UK worth picking up. It's not a blow-you-away disc but the colours really pop, which is v important to the film's look.

BTW [MENTION=4034]Atticus[/MENTION] - have you seen You Don't Nomi? It's a documentary (or really more of a video essay, since it's pretty low budget and mostly uses file footage) about Showgirls. Really worth a watch. I rented it off Prime Video but it's included as its own disc in the German UHD of Showgirls, which I've been meaning to pick up at some point.
            Last edited by wakka; 01-12-2022, 11:18.

Comment

Woovember done!

I like Horror, but a whole month of it gets a bit much and I find myself drawn towards the action-horror end of the spectrum, which is why I enjoy Woovember, which is more action orientated.

I'd like to do a sci-fi equivalent!

Comment

BTW @Atticus - have you seen You Don't Nomi? It's a documentary (or really more of a video essay, since it's pretty low budget and mostly uses file footage) about Showgirls. Really worth a watch. I rented it off Prime Video but it's included as its own disc in the German UHD of Showgirls, which I've been meaning to pick up at some point.
                I haven't, but I haven't seen Showgirls either. I think it's on Prime Vid at prez so I might take a peek and make a note of that doc. Cheers

I almost pulled the trigger on Benedetta during Black Friday but it was still pretty pricey and I wonder if it'll come to terrestrial or one of the sub services soon.

Comment

Top work with Woovember @QualityChimp ... too often I go back to my faves rather than watch something new

Comment

Yeah good work QC!

Ugh, I go to buy the 4K Showgirls and the only copy on the whole internet is one for £80 on Ebay. Typical. Should've picked it up at RRP when I had the chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      Top work with Woovember @QualityChimp ... too often I go back to my faves rather than watch something new
                      It's nice to get a couple of treats to watch. I like a bargain and enjoyed getting Remo, Tower of Death and the Mission: Impossible series as a bargain. I wanted the new Righting Wrongs disc, but I set myself a budget. Last year I got the Sister Streetfighter set, The World's End, Vampires, Millionaire's Express and Maniac Cop.

However, it's also good to dig out some stuff you've not seen for a while or try the commentary.

Comment

the only copy on the whole internet is one for £80 on Ebay. Typical.
                        Aw, that sucks It’s a situation that’s not helpful in being sensible when new releases come out. So tempting to hoover them up before they become extinct.

Comment

Exactly

I was like i DoN't NeEd iT. And I was wrong. And now here we are and it's £80

Comment

Sunshine - nice to look at, great cast, was buying the sci-fi, very much did not buy anything it did towards the end though. The hubris of it all too: sending a crucial mission to the sun and naming it Icarus not just once, but twice...

The Humans - minimal adaptation of a play, with chat that weaves in and among itself very naturally, and is often heard off-screen as the cameras focus on something else. I get the implied horror of the human condition, but think the 'dread' it plays up is a bit too artificial. It's got good moments, is well performed and is generally made well enough, but also feels like it speaks to a certain audience a bit too specifically, whereas couldn't buy into certain bits of the central family dynamic and generally came away quite cold

Comment

Disenchanted
                              God bless Amy Adams who does so much heavy lifting with this sequel. It kind of misses the point of the original and quickly rolls off the rails despite her efforts, it pulls things back just enough by the end but Disney+ clearly hasn't broken the one kind of magic Disney has never managed to capture... quality sequels.

Tango & Cash
                              It's still one of those films where there's not actually any classic action or one liners etc but the choice of leads is so likeable and it delivers at such a fast pace that you can't help but come away thinking...

Violent Night
                              The new Santa Wick/Die Xmas type film that actually manages to successfully blend a christmas tale, sequel potential mythology, Die Hard, Home Alone and a dash of Home Alone 2 together. Much like the above, there are no lines or moments that are classics in waiting but the whole thing comes together so well whilst both delivering on the violent nature of what is graphically depicted crossed with still always feeling like a 90's era Xmas movie. Really surprisingly decent.

Comment

I really like Sunshine, [MENTION=3822]fuse[/MENTION].
                                I totally understand how it feels like Danny Boyle fluffs the ending with an unnecessary slasher twist, but it's such a journey to get there and the more I watch it, the more I like the theoretical approach of what would happen if you got that close to the sun.
                                Obviously, you'd melt faster then a Mr. Whippy on a Bank Holiday, but love the theoretical discussion.
                                So many characters are genuinely heroic in this - I love it.
                                Great disc, too with a DB commentary and another with Professor Brian Cox.

Nice Film Stories podcast about it here:
                                In the new episode of Film Stories with Simon Brew, the sci-fi film that put Danny Boyle off making sci-fi films, and a sequel that straight away needed a new director. Sunshine came into director Danny Boyle’s life over a drink in a London pub – and he’d find himself making a $20m sci-fi film in a ... Podcast: Sunshine(2007) and Final Destination 2 (2003)

[MENTION=345]Neon Ignition[/MENTION], I'm glad that Violent Night is worth watching.
                                I definitely wish they'd have made The Day The Reindeer Died starring Lee Majors, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X