X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
    I really like Sunshine, @fuse.
    I really like you too, sunshine.

I liked the other characters' ominous fascination with staring into the sun, and I was all prepped for him having a mission-endangering, pseudo-religious incident! The half-baked, fully unhinged captain surviving 7 years on his own only to turn up and fight like a supervillain was too much a pivot for me though, and tonally everything went out the airlock too, with close-ups and shaky-cam

Agree though that the other characters really sell the heroic angle in their own ways, which was good.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
      I really like you too, sunshine.

I liked the other characters' ominous fascination with staring into the sun, and I was all prepped for him having a mission-endangering, pseudo-religious incident! The half-baked, fully unhinged captain surviving 7 years on his own only to turn up and fight like a supervillain was too much a pivot for me though, and tonally everything went out the airlock too, with close-ups and shaky-cam

Agree though that the other characters really sell the heroic angle in their own ways, which was good.
      Interestingly (well, I think so), the original script at the end of 28 Days Later was very different and you can see the change later on.
      The original script (there are Boyle-narrated storyboards on the DVD extras) shows how Jim (Cillian Murphy), Frank (Brendan Gleeson) and his daughter Hannah go to the check point, but rather than

being met by soldiers, they make their way to the lab from the start of the outbreak and Jim has a blood transfusion so that he's infected and Frank is cured, but both Boyle and Alex Garland agreed that there's no way to 100% remove every drop of blood from a body and they'd established it just takes one drop to be infected.

I don't know if Sunshine's story change was a last minute thing, but there's definitely a change in tone after *that* point.

Before that, there's a real sense of isolation that a lot of other space films don't convey - there's always a space port or planet nearby, but once they pass a certain point, they are on their own. They referenced a book called Moon Dust which interviewed astronauts and their experiences and they all commented on the separation anxiety they felt.

I think it's a real shame that Boyle has stated that he won't return to sci-fi after his experience making this. He also stated throughout the making of it, he was constantly aware of 2001, Alien and Solaris as he made it. (Sorry if I've said all this before)
      Last edited by QualityChimp; 05-12-2022, 15:35.

Comment

Troll on Netflix.

It’s an enjoyable, if utterly predictable kaiju flick, which cribs from a load of other films, but does so with impressive production values and a generally warm tone. The leads are likeable enough. The whole thing feels very 1950s/60s, which is probably why I liked it.

Comment

Raging Fire. I've not seen any HK action for a while and took my time to get around to seeing this one ... probably because the title is so generic it feels like it was generated by a Vic20. The story is ho-hom and it runs a little long but the action is great and a strong reminder of how satisfying proper choreographed action is to watch.

Sunset Boulevard. I only saw this for the first time a year or so ago and when it came up on a podcast I listen to https://www.projectionboothpodcast.com/ I wanted to see it again before taking the deep dive. And boy does it stand up. Knowing the story it's on another level watching it again. What an incredible film on so many levels. Truly outstanding. Currently streaming on Sky Cinema / Now TV.

Comment

Glad you enjoyed Troll, [MENTION=7343]prinnysquad[/MENTION] - it's on my to-watch list.
            Pleased it's a kaiju flick, rather than about some guy in his mom's basement posting pro-Trump tweets.
            [MENTION=4034]Atticus[/MENTION], yeah it's a bit forgettable, but the action really is good in Raging Fire. Love that fight in the church.

Comment

I love Sunset Boulevard. One of my all time favourites. Billy Wilder was a genius.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                I love Sunset Boulevard. One of my all time favourites. Billy Wilder was a genius.
                I just hear "Do It" by the Beastie Boys in my head!

Yeah, Glendale Boulevard, a-Boulevard
                Glendale Boulevard is where I'm at
                It's where I'm at, where I live
                Check-it-check-it out 'cause my head is like a sieve and we turn it out

Comment

Just saw Violent Night at the cinema, I was thouroghly entertained. Nothing like a feelgood beating sprinkled with a little christmas magic.

Comment

I finally bust open the World of Wong Kar-Wai box-set last night and watched Days of Being Wild. The main character (Leslie Cheung) treats women like crap, wooing them and then instantly getting bored. Around this bad behaviour we discover he's desperately trying to find his birth mother (frankly, it's no excuse). You'll find trademark themes of loneliness and longing, rainy nights, moments and missed moments, tab-smoking and sadness. This IS the world of Wong Kar-Wai. Not a cheery watch but one that lingers as something special and affecting.

Also watched Reservoir Dogs for the first time at home (saw it 4 times at the cinema back in the early 90s). After all the notoriety and gushing has long died down it's nice to return to this and enjoy an experience that was like the first time: simply a very cool crime caper. The 4K UHD looks fab too, just how I remember it.

Comment

That's a coincidence! I just re-watched Reservoir Dogs too!

To be honest my memory of it was really poor, I couldn't remember any specifics, so had been keen to revisit for a while. It is such a great film. Although I do find the characteristic Tarantino dialogue (i.e. all the characters speak like Quentin Tarantino...) sometimes irritating, it is a brilliantly cool, taut film.

Wish I'd been watching it on the UHD though...the version on "Lionsgate+" on Prime I watched was pretty crap and artifacty, plus cut the credits off halfway through (you gotta respect the credits amirite guys).

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                        Although I do find the characteristic Tarantino dialogue (i.e. all the characters speak like Quentin Tarantino...) sometimes irritating
                        Yeah, in some of his films it's unbearable. Jackie Brown and Once Upon a Time are still my faves by a mile but I'm looking forward to revisiting the behemoth that is Pulp Fiction again soon.

Comment

I've never seen Jackie Brown so really need to fix that. There are a few of his I haven't seen actually - never seen Hateful Eight or Inglourious Basterds either.

I really liked Once Upon A Time. That's a great film.

Comment

We watched Host last night (not the Bong Joon Ho monster movie). It’s set during, and acknowledges, the covid pandemic/lockdown and has a group of friends hook up with a medium on a zoom call for a zoom-seance. Got to say, it’s super effective and super creepy. It’s only about 55 mins long too. Currently on iplayer for a limited time).

Six friends hold a séance via Zoom in lockdown and get far more than they bargained for.
                            Last edited by Atticus; 11-12-2022, 08:46.

Comment

So with the new Indiana Jones film coming next year and all the movies sitting on Prime, I decided I should finally revisit Crystal Skull after all these years. I had only seen it once, back when it first came out. I remember being bitterly disappointed with it but I always wanted to go back to see if that was just an unfair assessment. Like when I revisited Doom3 and saw how good it was on its own merits rather than the initial disappointment I had based on certain expectations.

So I did it last night. I watched Crystal Skull.

And the first thing that hit me was that those CG gophers weren’t as bad as I remember. Have they touched those up over the years? Maybe. Maybe not.

But wow, it is a terrible looking movie. Most of it looks shot on green screen even when it is clearly not. It’s something in the cinematography that makes everything look fake and badly composited. And there is a horrible bloom lighting effect everywhere. It looks awful from start to finish. Not in any way cinematic or impressive. It’s bizarre to think a movie that looks this bad comes from Spielberg, a master in cinema. I don’t get it.

And it’s a bad, bad film. It’s not even the individual moments. Yes, the fridge thing is utterly stupid - the entire opening is. Yes, the monkey swing part is cringy as all hell. The film is full of terrible moments. But it’s more than that. It’s that the action sequences seem so sterile, just going through the motions. The John Williams score (which is too much in places and goes all Elfman - calm down, Elfman) tells me things are supposed to be exciting and yet I’m feeling nothing. It is a movie where nothing felt like it mattered. And maybe the look plays a part, placing a mental and emotional barrier between me and the story because it all looks so fake. I don’t know. It seems like it is without soul. It’s a movie that is just going from one sequence to the next.

The ending is horrible. I don’t mind the subject matter at all. I actually have no issue with any story choices really. Indy was always outlandish and wide open for more. But it’s all so poorly executed.

It is a bad movie.

Comment

Is it a movie? I guess... We just watched Guardians of the Galaxy Christmas Special and really enjoyed it.

It was funny and gave me feels and Christmas sentiment. Recommend if you like GOTG

Comment

Working...
                                X