Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watched Knives Out again (going to watch Glass Onion soon). Enjoyed it again. And noticed that the nurse is the hot CIA agent in No Time To Die!

Comment

We saw the Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special and Glass Onion.

GotG was lovely and a perfect Christmas treat.

Glass Onion was silly but fun modern take on the murder mystery.

Comment

Tried to watched Frozen again yesterday, lost interest very early - still do not like it at all. Charmless and features pretty much everything I hate about that type of modern animated film and musicals in particular.

Comment

Christmas Eve Hitchcock this year was Frenzy. Hitch’s penultimate film sees him at his most extreme, back in the UK with a story about a serial rapist/strangler around the Covent Garden area. It looks like an Ealing comedy but has the brutality of a giallo. An absolute belter from the master.

Christmas Eve also took in a fam viewing of Home Alone 2 which is always a winner.

Re-watched Django Unchained. My opinion since the cinema hasn’t really changed. I don’t like it very much.

Also watched The Departed again with the family. Unlike the above I love this more and more each time I see it. The story is film gold. Still haven’t seen Infernal Affairs ... must get around to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            Christmas Eve also took in a fam viewing of Home Alone 2 which is always a winner.
            We watching Home Alone together and the McAllisters are *all* dicks, even Kevin. If he was mine and spoke to me that way, he'd get the birch.
            We switched it off on an S-Bomb and have no regrets.

Uncle Frank is an abomination. I can tolerate the plane's crystal condiment theft, comparing child abandonment to forgetting his reading glasses even refusing to pay for the pizza on his free holiday to France, but if he aggressively called my child a "little jerk" after accidentally spilling a cola, I'd remind him who the adult is and where the door is.

Look, I know it's just a movie and them being horrible is the catalyst to the subsequent events, but there's just no excusing the way *any* of the family talk to each other.
            An 8-yr-old asking his elders to help him pack isn't that unreasonable.
            I just found myself repeating to my daughter "it's not right to talk to each other like that."

Have you seen the end?
            IT'S SO WEIRD!
            The family walk in and greet Kevin, THEN ALL WALK AWAY AND LEAVE HIM ON HIS OWN!

Comment

Finally got around to watching Everything Everywhere All At Once at the cinema yesterday.

Fantastic visual spectacle from start to finish, but the plot verges on ridiculous (maybe that's the intention?).

That said, seeing Michelle Yeoh flex her acting chops in a way that she has arguably never had to do before in her career was enjoyable. It was also good to see Ke Huy Quan (Short Round from Temple of Doom, Data from The Goonies) act again after so long.

Comment

Maybe the sequel isn’t for you [MENTION=10111]QualityChimp[/MENTION]

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  Maybe the sequel isn’t for you [MENTION=10111]QualityChimp[/MENTION]
                  Yeah, plus it's just the same film with the woman from Casualty and Donald Trump in it.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                    Yeah, plus it's just the same film with the woman from Casualty and Donald Trump in it.
                    In the latest episode of Film Stories with Simon Brew, two festive films that each faced particular challenges to bring to the screen. Home Alone 2 (1992) proved to be a tricky shoot, and the movie would have a direct knock-on for another film as well. Meanwhile, 2011’s Arthur Christmas saw Aardman design the entire film in Bristol, before ... Podcast: Home Alone 2: Lost In New York (1992) and Arthur Christmas (2011)

Comment

I watched Men last night (it’s on Prime). I remember liking the look of it since seeing the trailer with an impressive looking turn from Rory Kinnear.

It won’t be for everyone (it’s no masterpiece by any means) but I enjoyed the strange, dreamy, Wicker Man like world and oddball characters. It’s fun (but maybe not for the faint hearted).
                      Last edited by Atticus; 30-12-2022, 09:01.

Comment

We (me, wife & 11y/o) watched The Adam Project (2022 Via Netflix) and we all thoroughly enjoyed it!

I mean, it's no D.A.R.Y.L., but we all had fun!

Comment

It's a Wonderful Life
                          Never seen it, all my knowledge comes from the often shown clips, images etc and that part of the Red Dwarf novel set in Bedford Falls. I did enjoy it, got to feel sorry for George as any way you cut it he gets a **** end of the stick but Stewart really sells it late on. I'll also never get out of my head that all those famous images of him crying hugging his kids or embracing his wife come from a scene where they're all perilously perched at the top of a flight of stairs. This is why health and safety departments were invented.

Comment

It's a Wonderful Life is really special. It seems to have an unfair reputation for being overly sentimental but really, it's about a guy whose life falls apart. My granddad introduced me to it when I was little and I've always had a really strong bond with it

As for recent watches, what an unexpected treat Maverick was. I've never seen Top Gun and wasn't bothered about this at all but my mother-in-law came over to watch it and I went from mildly interested to edge of my seat after about 15 minutes. Really, for a franchise I had no history with I was 100% onboard in no time. It's impossible to resist: the action, the Cruise charm (seriously, what a legend), the set-up and finale ... it's all so good and so well made. Really wish I'd seen this at the cinema.

Comment

Anyone who says It's a Wonderful Life is overly sentimental has properly watched it.
                              The guy gets to the brink of suicide. It goes to some dark places.

Totally agree with your Maverick assessment, [MENTION=4034]Atticus[/MENTION].
                              We weren't fussed on Top Gun and re-watched it the night before and were underwhelmed, but Maverick was a blast.
                              I think it helped being a post-Lockdown treat in the ScreenX with those surround screens, but I enjoyed it being a reasonably simplistic action film. It didn't need to be anything different.

Comment

Talking about classic family films and ones that are not without a hard edge: I re-watched Charlotte's Web with Dakota Fanning a few days ago and still enjoyed it a great deal despite my cynical, cold-hearted nature.

Insanely good voice acting cast: Julia Roberts, Steve Buscemi, John Cleese, Robert Redford, Oprah Winfrey, Kathy Bates, some in very small roles but all adding to the quality.

Over the holidays I also saw again The Secret Garden 1993 with Kate Maberly and Maggie Smith and the original Lionel Jefferies directed The Railway Children 1970. Both undoubted family film classics but again with an, at times, hard edge which mitigates the more sentimental elements.

The latter in particular looked really good for an over 50 year old film; I suspect it must have been restored/digitally remastered.

Comment

Working...
                                X