Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of my boys wanted to watch Whiplash so I had a rewatch. It stands up amazingly. I'd say it was even better the second time. J. K. Simmons is phenomenal.

Comment

Yes Maverick is great, Gibson, Garner and Foster on top form

Comment

Comment

I watched "The Fifth Wave" (2016 via Netflix) and it was average.
          Chloƫ Grace Moretz is always watchable, but the film doesn't really know what it wants to be, lurching between disaster movie, alien invasion, apocalypse survival, Bobysnatchers, Ender's Game and teen romance.

It's been done better elsewhere, like The Quiet Place or Birdbox, and by not settling on being one thing, it suffers.

Shame as it starts off quite strong.

Comment

^ I agree. The Fifth Wave is flawed by trying to include everything under the umbrella of an apocalypse survival movie and ends up not satisfying on any level. Even the ending is unsatisfactory, leaving it open for a sequel that never happened and will never happen.

But CGM is indeed "always watchable" and makes even this unfocused hotchpotch worth seeing at least once.

Comment

The man who killed Hitler and then Bigfoot.
              Wasn't convinced at first but... It won me over.
              The box!

Comment

Sea Beast 2008. Prime.
                Rubbish monster movie. Highly recommended lol

Comment

Puss in Boots: The Last Wish
                  Spiderverse did it as a stylised thing which was fine but this does it too - where effectively the FPS is low except here only during action sequences and I'm not a fan but otherwise this is a visually lovely film that is much, much better than its predecessor and out of the 6 films Shrek saga is probably Top 3.

Comment

The Return of Godzilla (1984 via Archive dot org)
                    Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters (2017 via Netflix)

See the Godzilla thread.

See How They Run (2022 via Disney+)
                    Fun whodunit that both honours and pastiches Agatha Christie and especially The Mousetrap.
                    Great cast, some fun curveballs and a fair chunk of laughs.
                    Perfect as a couples watch or if you're after some more fun murder mystery hijinks after Glass Onion.

Comment

Smile - ehhh this was pretty decent, takes a lot of queues from elsewhere ( the Superior "It Follows" for sure). Standard passing on the curse fair, but well done some jumps and fun harrowing moments, worth a spin.

The Menu - deffo one of the better movies I've seen lately, absolutely recomend this, don't bother looking it up best to go in blind, ostensibly it's about a group of people visiting a top end foodie diding experience. Superb tbh.
                      Last edited by Baseley09; 10-01-2023, 14:04.

Comment

Operation Mincemeat - enjoyed this. Nothing particularly standout, but being based on a true story made it very watchable.

Comment

Crammed a few in over the weekend:

The Menu (2022 Via D+)
                          An elite set of guests are invited to partake in the ultimate dining experience.
                          Really enjoyed this and it was a lot funnier than I expected.
                          Pretty quirky and it wasn't the "Most Dangerous Game" clone I was expecting, but it's a fun thriller.

Metallica: Some Kind of Monster (2004 Via Netflix)
                          Album making-of documentary descends into chaos as the band fall apart.
                          I've love Metallica for years and wanted to see this for ages. I was always Team James, mainly because of Lars and his pursuit to destroy Napster, but James' behaviour is definitely very controlling. Even by not being in the studio, but in rehab, means the band can't continue. Fascinating for Metallica or music doc fans.
                          I did love the final section where they chose the new bassist, though.
                          He's been with them 20 years now!

Awake (2021 via Netflix)
                          After a solar event, everyone on Earth is no longer able to sleep.
                          Society collapses.
                          A mother with a daughter still able to sleep takes her and her family cross-country to try and reach safety.
                          Has it's moments, but easily skippable.

Men (2022 via Prime)
                          Wow. A LOT to chew on here.
                          As a basic horror film, it's pretty decent in the first 2/3 of the movie, with some tense and creepy sections.
                          The final third is going to be the sticking point. Either you're onboard with what Alex Garland is trying to say, you think he's being heavy-handed with his metaphors or it's all very confusing.
                          I'm in the first camp, enjoying unpacking what had just happened, but for the last 20 minutes, I was like:

Death Race 2000 (1975 via Prime)
                          this was even more rubbish than I remembered.
                          It's OK and 70's sci-fi just hits different as it wasn't always made purely to make money.
                          It's not very subtle in its delivery and the television hosts are too cartoony, but it's a curio of a bygone era.

Comment

Good impressions. I really want to watch Men and The Menu.

Comment

Yeah, I enjoyed Men. And The Menu is defo on the to watch list.

Comment

Cheers chaps.

I watched The Menu over PS4 chat with a mate and we were both chuckling away at what was unfolding.

It'll be interesting to hear your thoughts on this and Men.

Kaiju double-bill tonight!
                                Godzilla Vs King Ghidorah (1991 via Archive.org)
                                More in the Godzilla thread.

Troll (2022 via Netflix)
                                Ooh, this was fun and definitely a modern Kaiju flick. Quite funny to go from a rubber suit and model village on GvKG to the slick cgi monster and destruction!
                                Well worth a watch for fans of this genre, with some nerdy laughs along the way.

Comment

Working...
                                X