This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Erm, well, uh, I loved this. The weird thing is... I'm not sure why.

I think I liked being in the world and spending time with both Rick and Clint. It was a very slow burn piece and it just let me take it in and enjoy it.

Totally different to Inglorious Bastards which I love for it's OTT ridiculousness and violence.

Still need to watch Hateful Eight.

Comment

Totally agree with you on Once Upon a Time [MENTION=2540]teddymeow[/MENTION] ... it's just a pleasure to be there with those characters in that world. I think it's QT's best film after Jackie Brown.

Comment

I've just ordered the novelisation from Amazon for £4. It's written by QT and gives a more detailed backstory for Rick and Clint.

Can't wait.

Comment

@Atticus, that’s very kind of you to offer me a loan of your Night Tide disc, thanks . I don’t want to put you to the bother as I’ve spotted that Indicator now sell a non LE version on their site, so think I will grab myself that sometime soon.

Comment

John Wick 3

Nope. Really like the first two. This...just missed the mark, left me very disinterested within an hour. Dare I say it, too much action. Too much of the same action...great gunplay, headshots etc, but...been there done that, even with the little twists this film offered. The purer martial arts stuff...seen better dozens of times. The fight with Cecep Arif Rahman and Yayan Ruhian was comically bad. The moments of levity missed the mark.

Only positives for me...Anjelica Huston and Halle Berry.

2/6 bullseyes
            Last edited by wheelaa; 11-07-2021, 13:34.

Comment

I mostly agree with you. Part of me says it’s actually the best in the series though and it’s only because I saw 1 and 2 first that more of the same had me a bit bored. It’s all about the action really and on its own merits it might be the best example. Although a better John Wick is Nobody

Comment

For me the biggest problem is that 3 doubles down on the lore, which is the least uninteresting part of the franchise.

Comment

Yeah, I thought it went ridiculous on that stuff. The guy in the desert was terrible for me. It reminded me of Wayne’s World 2.

Edit: actually the other thing about the third is that it felt I like it was treading water. By the end of the movie, he is in the exact same situation as he is at the start of the movie. Even the Wayne’s World 2 desert guy bit achieves nothing except making life difficult for some effects guy in the next movie because he undoes it within minutes, rendering the entire trip pointless.
                  Last edited by Dogg Thang; 11-07-2021, 14:28.

Comment

Objectively you are both correct and I am completely wrong. That desert bit was awful. It did have the dogs fighting in it though, which was very awesome.

Comment

Fear Street Part II: 1978
                      Solid, to be honest this stuck to the Friday the 13th set up much closer than I expected given the previous film mixed things up more. It was perhaps over long too, watching characters go through motions we already know and padding out the chaos till the latter end of the film. Once that kicks in though it's a fun watch again and though simple the climax is a little hard to watch in its brutality of kill. The first part is the better one of the two, next week is the final one - 1666 - which really could go either way.

Comment

^ I really disliked # 3 as well. So much so that I don't really care about seeing any more.

On the opposite spectrum, I watched Luca the other day and I loved it from start to finish. Looks absolutely stunning on my telly as well.

Comment

Conversely, I really liked JW3.

I thought the early fight in the corridor full of weapons was brilliant and the build up to the fight in the glass display cabinet room and subsequent fight was excellent.

I love how they all respect him.

Mark Dacascos was drafted in pretty late in the day and the whole fanboy thing was his idea that he asked the director to try and it worked, so they kept it in.

Yayan Ruhian and Cecep Arif Rahman take it easy on Wick out of respect, but they still want to be the ones to take him out.

Love how that's quite different from the usual antagonist/protagonist hate relationship.

It's JW2 that I find most forgettable, but is still good.

Just glad the series has continued as they're always worth a watch (IMHO) and Reeves is brilliantly cast.
                          The action seems to be making Hollywood up their game, rather than rely on lazy shakycam like the Bourne/Taken/Equalizer sequels.

Comment

A Field in England - Finally got round to seeing this and I definitely need time to process what I just experienced. Goodness me. Set in England's civil war it follows deserters and their captors on a bit of a fool's errand. And there's mushrooms but not like Farmer Maggot's. Loved the atmosphere and the ambiguity. And I have to say I really like it when a moment that would sound so ordinary on paper is super unsettling and haunting. It's on All 4 right now but only until the 20th.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                              A Field in England - Finally got round to seeing this and I definitely need time to process what I just experienced. Goodness me. Set in England's civil war it follows deserters and their captors on a bit of a fool's errand. And there's mushrooms but not like Farmer Maggot's. Loved the atmosphere and the ambiguity. And I have to say I really like it when a moment that would sound so ordinary on paper is super unsettling and haunting. It's on All 4 right now but only until the 20th.
                              I'm about halfway through, so thanks for the deadline reminder.

Not gripping me at the moment, but need to focus on it a bit more.

I watched Fear Street Part II: 1978 and enjoyed it. Thought 1 was better as this felt a little bit too much like a Friday the 13th tribute act, and made me want to watch the real deal afterwards (although it's no longer streaming! D'oh!).

Doesn't stop it from being a gory thrill that doesn't hold its punches (or axe chops).

Still love the idea of a linked trilogy and it'll be interesting to see how they close the whole story.

We watched it via PS4 and me and three mates chatted during it, which was a cool way to do it, all going "aaaargh" at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                                I'm about halfway through, so thanks for the deadline reminder.

Not gripping me at the moment, but need to focus on it a bit more.
                                It’s not a gripper, nor an easy watch by any means, but it does get under your skin. I watched it in two sittings.

We watched it via PS4 and me and three mates chatted during it, which was a cool way to do it, all going "aaaargh" at the same time.
                                That is such a well thought out feature. Love it.

Comment

Working...
                                X