This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The future war.

Totally predictable, but switch off your brain and it's ok.

Comment

Saw Godzilla vs Kong Kong at the cinema today. It was so bad, I’m not even going to check what the proper title is.

The boat fight was alright, I guess.

I watched Godzilla 2014 and King of the Monsters yesterday and both are miles better.

Comment

Fear Street Part I: 1994
        The first in the trilogy picked up by Netflix, you coudl easily believe they made it themselves as it reeks of their level of stuff. This horror isn't remotely scary in any sense. It cribs from films such as Scream, Final Destination, Halloween etc but it's very light and pulpy. To be honest, by most metrics it's rubbish but it's easy to watch because it's very energetic and easy to watch. Supposedly the plan was for Fox to release it at cinemas as an event occasion with each film launching monthly as the films directly connect with each other, Netflix has opted to launch them weekly so there's a feel of it being more like a series than a set of movies. It'll be interesting if it can keep the energy up over all three, the second one out this Friday takes us to a summer camp by a lake in 1978...

Comment

I watched Fear Street Part I: 1994 too last night, chatting with mates over PSN and agree with what most of NI has just said.
          It has some jumps, but it's not scary.

However, they seem to have tapped into that teen horror vibe brilliantly.
          Set in 1994, there's a killer soundtrack to go with the killings.
          The characters are all just deep enough to be interesting and for you to care about.
          Plenty of gore and one inventive death that's the best thing since sliced bread.

We really enjoyed it and look forward to the next films.
          It's fun having a weekly film to plan on seeing, rather than binging.
          I also really like the structure and planning a trilogy set at different times, rather than more of the same, is a clever way to do it.

If you like Scream, Stranger Things, The Babysitter, Cabin in the Woods, then I think you'll enjoy it too.

Last edited by QualityChimp; 06-07-2021, 07:17.

Comment

Think I'll probably give that a watch, sounds intriguing. Netflix has been pushing it to me pretty hard whenever I log in.

I watched two films on there yesterday.

National Lampoon's Vacation

Well, this rocks. The National Lampoon brand has been sullied these days by a cavalcade of lowest common denominator Van Wilder spinoffs in the 2000s, but this film is still a brilliantly funny watch.

It was my first time seeing it, but when I saw Harold Ramis and John Hughes in the opening credits as director and writer respectively, I thought I was probably in for something special.

Loads to recommend this - Chevy Chase is brilliantly deadpan as the relentlessly optimistic dad, the script is sharp and never substitutes laughs for sentimentality, and it has an easy, engaging pace. But there are two main reasons why I think it works. First, it's funny. Sounds obvious, but so many feature length comedies have an atrocious joke-per-minute rate. Here, they come thick and fast, and they mostly land. If they don't, not to worry, because there'll be another along in a moment.

Second, and this is kind of an extension of the first point, is that it never lets plot get in the way of a joke. Even the third act and climax, often so poorly handled in comedies as screenwriters tend to feel that closing the dramatic arc means slamming the brakes on the laughs, works really well here. I won't spoil it but the whole scene when they finally arrive at Wally World is just a hilarious idea. It brings closure while remaining funny, which to be honest is quite a trick.

If like me you haven't seen this, do watch it. There is one bit in particular, where the family gets upset and suggests they just abandon the trip and go home, and Chevy Chase goes on this rant in response, that had me absolutely rolling. I'm chuckling just thinking about it now.

It's on Netflix.

Paul Blart: Mall Cop

The Netflix selection engine gods giveth, and they taketh away.

This is a toothless pile of dreck. Barely a laugh to be had in the whole 90 minutes. A mawkish exercise in family friendly sentimentality, redeemed in only the most minor way possible by Kevin James's dependable performance.

Not only does this film commit the cardinal sin of any comedy, by being almost entirely devoid of jokes, but it's simply boring.

I wanted to like it, too.

It's on Netflix until the end of July if for some reason you want to see it.

Comment

I watched Mad Max Fury Road and loved it all over again. The energy in that movie is just incredible. It's totally relentless. Theron is brilliant as Furiosa and the whole vibe of the movie is perfect. I love it. Easily Miller's best film since Happy Feet.

I also watched Detective Pikachu, which I hadn't seen yet. I really liked it. It's a lot of fun and I feel they integrated the Pokemon into the world really well. Better than I had expected, actually, and so it was a treat for an old Pokemon fan like me, It was very simple but did what it needed to and, importantly, was entertaining.

Comment

OMG, watched the most recent ( 2018) Robin Hood re-imagining last night on C4.

Bad does not begin to describe it in almost every respect. Despite its budget, obviously overspent on the sets and ludicrously over-the top special effects (fast repeating crossbows.......................just no). They must have thought that having a big name star, in this case Jamie Foxx, would save the day. It didn't.

A dressed up second division film and that's being kind.

Comment

I thought Olga Kurlenko was really good in The Courier, so I looked at what else she's in on Netflix and Sentinelle came up.
                  I watched it last night and I really enjoyed it. I liked how things just started escalating until she snapped.
                  Some gritty fight scenes, but it's not all action, so it's a steady build to those moments.
                  It's mainly set in Nice, which looks... nice.

Comment

Palm Springs
                    Always wary of anything attempting to tackle the Groundhog Day scenario as that film perfected it and used up so many of the ideas from the concept. Hats off though as this is pretty much like they sat down and pulled the concept apart to find little ideas and avenues they could go to in order to milk out extra mileage from the concept and it works. Just a really fun time film though it was off of them not to let Roy know their plan at the end

Comment

Night Tide - Is there more to this carnival mermaid? This is a film full of atmosphere. Set in a coastal carnival resort if follows Dennis Hopper's sailor on leave as he meets and falls for the mysterious Mora. Loved this. Really special movie.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - This was the first Indy I ever saw and I have a lot of nostalgia going on. Going back for the fist time in ages I'm amazed at how gory and dark and violent it is. That's no complaint, it's all good by me. But after watching Raiders a couple of weeks ago it can't help but slightly disappoint. I applaud Spielberg for doing something different with this one but it lacks the magic Raiders has.

Take Shelter - Michael Shannon is incredible in this, about a family man having apocalyptic visions and the effect it has on his and his family's life. Is is gifted somehow or is his mental health in question? I had no idea which way the film was going but it grips you solid.

Seoul Station - The sequel (that's a prequel) to the excellent Train to Busan. Got to admire a sequel to a massively successful first film that goes in a completely different direction This is animated for starters. Set the day before the first film it focusses on the footprint in and around Seoul Station. The social commentary is strong but not at the expense of a great film. As with the first one it's the characters that make it great.

Comment

Boss Baby: Family Business
                        It's okay, I expected worse so I'll take that win. The jump in time by 40 years is utterly lost and it's still blatantly present day set. There's an attempt to cover the logic by saying Tim is still over imaginative but as expected it's throwaway and doesn't sit well with what follows meaning that the original films subtle smartness is gone. Goldblum makes a decent villain, the new daughters of Tim's add little but mucguffins. Already heard a third is on the way, they might just eek out enough for one more to be entertaining enough but it's definitely declining returns.

Comment

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - Loved watching this one again. Even better than I remembered. The romantic, golden age atmosphere is back in full effect and it's wall-to-wall great moments and lines (I was the next man ). The chemistry between Ford and Connery is spot on. Young River Phoenix is brilliant too. I'd forgotten Alexei Sayle was in it

Comment

Really interesting picks [MENTION=4034]Atticus[/MENTION].

Night Tide is one I'm kinda kicking myself for not getting the Indicator version of as it sounds really intriguing. Might have to get a scalped copy.

Interesting that you've just watched Take Shelter as it's one that recently came to my attention too. I've not watched any of Jeff Nichols's work but I'm also intrigued by Mud, so looking to give both of those a watch in the near future.

Reading your impressions of Indy reminds me of how long it's been since I've actually seen Last Crusade. The first two are imprinted on my brain through frequent rewatches on videotape as a kid and periodic rewatches as an adult, but I actually think I've only seen Last Crusade once or twice, and probably not since the 90s.

Comment

I did the same with Night Tide [MENTION=5490]wakka[/MENTION]. When it was up for pre-order it looked really interesting but I had an attack of the sensibles and didn't pull the trigger. I have looked for it since but refuse to pay anything silly. I was lucky when it appeared in my local CEX (I pounced before it even hit the shop floor) ... might be worth keeping an eye on. The good news is it's really quite special. It has a lot of qualities that appeal to me. Very enjoyable watch. The full film is on youtube but the quality doesn't look too good and the aspect ratio is a bit out. If you just want to see the film I'm happy to loan you the disc.

I hadn't seen the Indy films for ages and it's safe to say I get them, and the spirit of them, more than I ever did when I was little. Great fun. I'm even looking forward to Crystal Skull. No hatred here.

On the Jeff Nichols front, this was my entry point. A mate of mine has been recommending Midnight Special for ages. I'll have to see if it's still streaming.

Comment

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - I went in with the best of intentions. I knew it wasn't the best but I've always stuck up for it, maybe because it was hated so much. But it is a poor Indy film. There are good ideas here and there (and Jim Broadbent has a great line, at least) but nothing hangs together. Plus there are a lot of (famously) stupid ideas. And it looks odd too ... the lighting is white hot and make some of outdoor scenes look completely unreal. It's not Phantom Menace bad but it is disappointing after Last Crusade. I was so invested in that and so uninvested in this. How can one get so much right and the follow-up get so much wrong? All the vital ingredients were there Still, it hasn't dulled the experience of watching the whole saga. The great far outweighs the negatives of the last film.

Memories of Murder - Bong Joon Ho's second film is based on a real life serial killer case. It's one of those films that plays out completely differently to what you might be expecting, having watched other films about serial killers. It focusses on a different angle that I can't really talk about as it's the essence of the film. Great watch though, and a big leap from his first feature.

Comment

Working...
                                X