X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kate. Bit of fun.

Comment

Just finished watching Mortal Engines on Film 4.

Eventually tedious and like some other reviewers have said: derivative and soulless. Add to that humourless and filled with the uninvolving, uninteresting, predictable ethnic/gender mix of mostly young adult characters you only find in films aimed exclusively at that sort of audience.

Bloated CGI special effects are impressive but there's an almost desperate, repeated use of the musical soundtrack to try to generate a sense of 'urgency' in the action sequences which quickly becomes very annoying, or at least it did for me.

Its is adapted from an apparently well regarded series of novels you're probably better off reading instead.
      Last edited by fallenangle; 12-09-2021, 03:29.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
        Kate. Bit of fun.
        Was she now?

Comment

I watched The Poseidon Adventure last night. Hadn’t seen it since I was a kid. Totally loved it. The opening is hilarious, a real snapshot of the early 70s and Leslie Nielsen being Leslie Nielsen and then, as soon as things kick off, it suddenly gets really tense and doesn’t really let you until the end. The sets were amazing and the sense of being on a ship really worked. They really sold it. I thought it was great.

The ending though…

sort of wraps up very quickly and very conveniently. Too conveniently. And Hackman should have been fine from what I could see. Still didn’t ruin the movie at all.

A great 70s disaster movie classic.

Comment

Boss Level. Far more fun that I was expecting, kind of a Shoot-em Up/Groundhog Day crossbreed.

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
            Was she now?
            You knows it.

Comment

Thanks to the astonishingly generous [MENTION=8265]CMcK[/MENTION], I watched Shaolin Wooden Men for the first time since hiring it from the local video shop in the early 90s.

I can't believe how crisp it looks, like it's just been released, rather than from the 70s.

Can't believe how many training montages there are, but it was great to revisit Jackie Chan's earlier work and reappraise the amazing choreography.

Comment

Honestly, the quality of work done by boutique Blu-ray houses like 88 is incredible. The discs are not cheap but the work that goes into them means you are getting a great deal.

Comment

Oh, definitely!

I probably came in at the wrong point with Jackie Chan - his absolute peak.
                  So I was spoiled with Police Story, Project A, Wheels on Meals and Armour of God.
                  After that, it was really hard going back to his earlier films like this and Fantasy Mission Force, especially as the quality was so poor.

Watching Shaolin Wooden Men with such a sharp restoration made it look like it was brand new and a fresh appreciation of these films I dismissed as a teenager.

Only the occasional choppy cut or hairstyle would betray its age.

Dipped in and out of the two commentary tracks every time there was some spectacle or I wanted to confirm if I'd spotted an actor right (Yuen Biao and Hwang Jang-Lee), then I watched the two little feature vids, one about the film and one about bringing JC films to the West and those recognisable drawn VHS cases that didn't always feature the action in the film!

Comment

A Quiet Place pt 2 - Enjoyed returning to the world of AQP again (watched the brilliant original in prep). I was never expecting the experience to match that of the first one and it delivered everything a sequel could. Loved the shot

looking at the family through Cillian Murphy's scope when they trip the bottle trap and he pans back up the trail, in total silence where he is, spotting a monster racing at them

Shallow Grave - First watch nice it was on at the cinema (which was slightly spoiled for me thanks to a couple sat in front: she hated it and kept begging to leave, he was having none of it). Anyway, what a class film. So unbelievable tight. Loved every second of watching this again.

Exorcist III - First time I have seen this. It's a worthy sequel to the first one ... even with all the famous studio meddling ... it's a good film. Not just horror but detective thriller. There are some memorable moments but it's the atmosphere and performances that linger.

Comment

That corridor scene in Exorcist 3! It really got me. The movie can be a bit wandery in places but I remember really liking it.

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
                        Just finished watching Mortal Engines on Film 4.

Eventually tedious and like some other reviewers have said: derivative and soulless. Add to that humourless and filled with the uninvolving, uninteresting, predictable ethnic/gender mix of mostly young adult characters you only find in films aimed exclusively at that sort of audience.

Bloated CGI special effects are impressive but there's an almost desperate, repeated use of the musical soundtrack to try to generate a sense of 'urgency' in the action sequences which quickly becomes very annoying, or at least it did for me.

Its is adapted from an apparently well regarded series of novels you're probably better off reading instead.
                        Yeah, I saw this on a plane and it helped stave off complete boredom, but truthfully, I felt really bad seeing so much effort spunked on something so crap. People really cared, you could tell, sadly not the people who really mattered.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                          That corridor scene in Exorcist 3! It really got me.
                          Yeah, the set up for that was genius

Comment

Free Guy
                            I was worried at first when it starts and it's literally like a lawsuit waiting to happen, such is the carbon copying of The Lego Movie. About twenty minutes in though it starts to find its own footing. Disney might be keen but I don't see the route for a sequel, this kind of burns up all the ideas and it's that light and likeable pace that makes it better than the sum of its parts. It's kind of a miracle it comes together so well as it could easily have gone the opposite way. It's good fluff fun.

Comment

I saw Saint Maude (Prime) last night and it's quite the roller coaster!

It plays with your expectations a lot, so it's never obvious where it'll twist next.

Worth going in blind, if possible.

I also saw Prospect (2018 via Prime), which sees Pedro Pascal as a spaceman who rarely removes his helmet and protects a child...
                              Really interesting pacing that lets the story breathe on a planet where you can't.
                              Some interesting props and costumes that work well against the green prospect planet.

Comment

This weekend I watched Nobody. I really enjoyed but I felt it peaked at the bus part and also, from there, kind of lost the thing I felt made it an interesting departure from John Wick, which is that he was actively picking fights. The end sequence lost me a bit in that I felt like they were just going through the motions by that point. Still, it was an enjoyable ride and Odenkirk played it really well so it's a thumbs up from me.

I also watched Gemini Man. It wasn't well reviewed so I braced myself as I put it on but, actually, I like it. It was a better film than I was expecting it to be. I was far less invested in young Will Smith than old Will Smith and I did drift off a little when it cut to him and Clive Owen, waiting for them to get back to old Will Smith and his buddies. And in the end it was very predictable and the effects were terribly inconsistent (and in some places downright weird) but I quite enjoyed it.

Clive Owen has seriously aged though. It was good to see him again. I think he's great but I feel like he didn't quite get the chance to shine when he should have.

Comment

Working...
                                X