This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beyond the Poseidon Adventure
    Got to always like Michael Cain but sometimes he's done a film and he just doesn't fit the role at all and this is one of those occasions. The idea of a sequel has always been intriguing given the premise and this was the first time I've actually seen it. It doesn't really add anything, it's an overly stretched concept for no real reason given the easier routes they could have gone and was interesting to see after all this time but very much an unnecessary sequel that was low on ideas.

Spectre
    Definitely a film of two halves. The first half with Bond following the leads is broadly quite enjoyable with the exception of the bit where once again Bond is creepy, a bit like a sex offender and forces himself practically on a woman who thinks she's about to be killed. The film otherwise holds together surprisingly well until around the time that he and Madeleine have escaped Bautista in the snow mountains. From there on the film descends rapidly into being an utter **** show. It's still really hard to know exactly what the thinking was with it to be honest. From the horrific handling of Blofeld which is problematic in so many ways I'll just sit on that for the Bond thread, the poor set ups for events that shouldn't be considered cause and effect unless in a Fast and Furious films plot, the poor handling of the romance between Madeleine and Bond which isn't convincing at all and sees her character veer hard from stone faced misery who hates him, to a poor impersonation of Vesper on the train for no reason, to back to stone face, to 'I love you' to emotionless walk off, to sunset walk away as a couple etc. There's a lot in one hour to deconstruct but the most critical aspect is that an awful lot happens and is revealed and absolutely none of it is well handled or more importantly earnt. It was odd to go from quite enjoying it to being rapidly concerned again about the next film.

Comment

Free Guy. Started well, good pace, amusing and fun. Descends into annoying cheesedick and by the time the avengers and star wars turned up I was out and sick in my mouth. Entertaining overall tho.

Comment

Currently watching Blade Runner 2049 in 3D.

I messaged you on WhatsApp to say thanks, [MENTION=2540]teddymeow[/MENTION], but we'll, y'know.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          The Many Saints of Newark - I think I may have been too hyped for this. I'm a MASSIVE Sopranos fan. Fave tv show hands down. And I've been looking forward to this for a long time. But like most prequels it's simply not needed. It's kind of nice to see some of your favourite characters again in their younger years ... but others less so. Some felt right (Junior) and some didn't (Paulie and Sil). Some were played straight and others were caricature. Then there's the story, what little there is. There is so much time ticking boxes with characters it never gets the chance to go anywhere deep. It might grow on me once my expectations have grounded themselves but really, it was pretty average.
          This, pretty much. I'd argue that the characters were always caricature anyway but basically this wasn't very well made at all. Nothing but fan service.

Comment

I watched Alien Covenant the other day. Such a mixed bag of a film, trying to be two completely different types of film and doing a disservice to both. For all its faults, I’d have been happy to see a Prometheus sequel. Or indeed a new Alien film. By aiming to be both, this film wanders all over the place and the pace is reminiscent of being in traffic - moving, stop, wait, moving, stop, wait and so on. Like Prometheus, although maybe not quite to the same degree, it features characters doing unbelievably stupid things.

But those characters are better characters and often played by better actors and that makes a difference here. They give it their all in spite of the shortcomings and, for the most part, on this second watch I was able to just go along for the ride. And I enjoyed it much more than I did when I first saw it. I don’t think it’s a great film by any means but I think it does a lot of what it’s trying to do pretty well, especially given the challenge of what it is attempting to be. Considering the low bar of Alien sequels after the first two movies, it’s not bad.

But as is the risk with prequels, I think if you then project forward to Alien from here, it makes Alien worse.
            Last edited by Dogg Thang; 06-10-2021, 21:27. Reason: Got the name wrong!

Comment

Agreed, I dont mind Covenant but would have much prefered the paradise lost Prometheus sequel. Potentially intersting creation story wiped out in a 30 second David genocide scene.

Comment

Didn't like either Prometheus or Alien Covenant but if I had to watch either again I'd buck the trend here and go for Prometheus. A film with Noomi Rapace and Charlize Theron trumps one with just Noomi Rapace in it. In Alien Covenant she had only a minor, almost cameo role anyway.

I still don't understand the start of Prometheus - is the 'Engineer' alien committing suicide, forced or voluntary and if so why? Was he part of a mad/religious/criminal group seeding planets with their own DNA? Was the 'Engineer' alien who tries to kill the Prometheus crew and who is on a mission to try to wipe out life on Earth, a sort of inter-stellar policeman tasked with clearing up the results of such unlawful DNA planet seeding?

If so why is he apparently going to use the same black liquid to do that which caused the problems in the first place?

Probably being thick but its never made complete sense to me.

Comment

My theory is that the Engineers were attempting to create a parasitic/symbiotic weapon which is why David found it so easy to play around with its structure. A third film might have shown a battle on a mining asteroid where the black liquid is almost destroyed by the lead character except a shard makes it to earth and...

infects a local civilian...

Alien then confirmed as part of the MCU!

DoggThang would hate it but it's no more stupid than Prometheus and Covenant

Comment

They made that film already. It was called Life. I didn't even hate it.

Comment

Watched Black Widow now that it's on Disney+ for no additional fee.

I enjoyed it, but it wasn't what I thought it would be. If I had created a Black Widow movie, it would've been closer to something like Atomic Blonde, like a spy movie with some of the Marvel stuff on the fringes. The BW movie in the end is a very MCU movie, featuring the more high-flying aspects of the franchise throughout.

That being said, it was fun from beginning-to-end and some of the humour was genuinely laugh-out-loud for us.

Also...

Taskmaster looked like what you get when you order a toy Power Ranger from Wish.com. A Pound Shop Power Ranger; one of those ones with "SPACE WARRIOR" on the backing card and a mashup of art from Voltron, Star Wars and Mobile Suit Gundam.

The first scene with her in, I honestly burst out laughing at the costume. They looked like someone who got lost on their way to comicon. The outfit had zero menace.

Comment

The Guilty (Netflix). Quite a good representation of anxiety and panic attacks. Great acting. Must have cost about 10p to make (apart from actor salaries)

Comment

Me and the lad watched The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf. Feature length cartoon of Vesemir and a bit of Geralt's origin story. It did the usual Witcher schtick of everyone having morally ambiguous motivations and no one being either 'good' or 'bad', with tedious results. Throw in some gore and that's your lot. Script was as verbose as it was clumsy, and the acting was abysmal - we 'lolled', frequently. Gentleman and ladies, it were a proper bag o' ****e.

Comment

I watched C.H.U.D. as it's one of those films I've been curious about since gawking entranced by the lurid VHS cover as a kid.

It was rubbish.

Also saw Battle Royale for the first time in ages.
                            It was on that free IMDBtv station you can get with Prime, but you have to sit through adverts.
                            Don't think I'll do that again as it really broke the rhythm of the movie.

Thankfully the film is still mint and a must-watch for fans of Squid Game.
                            It's 21 years old now, but still amazing.
                            Didn't remember the soundtrack being so hammy, though?

Anyways, Battle Royale is still da bomb, saucepan lid and binoculars.

Comment

The Other Guys

I saw a clip on YouTube of the quiet fight at a funeral and wanted to watch this again. It's brilliant.

Comment

Finally watched Sadako vs Kayako last night. It's no Freddy vs Jason and the vs part kind of happens like how Jason Takes Manhattan is mostly actually Jason Takes A Boat Ride with just a touch of Manhattan at the end. They couldn't possibly have waited for a later point in the movie to actually kick things off so, for the most part, it feels like a Ring film and a Ju-on film happening simultaneously but separately. Given that's what it is, it's not terrible. I quite enjoyed it. And it's actually creepy in places, although it usually ruins its own scares, giving you a creepy shot and then breaking it with a fast moment that breaks the mood.

It's a weird one in that the Ring parts feel a bit different to previous takes, with even rule changes (7 days has been reduced to 2, for example). The Ju-on parts feel more familiar but, even then, a little different such as Toshio looking older than in previous films. The overall effect is that there is a hint of it being cover versions rather than bringing the best of the two film series together. That's not a huge thing because the atmosphere is pretty good.

It gets silly, as you'd expect, and it leans into that with a couple of medium characters who I actually loved and they lift the film. So I enjoyed. Not a great film. But it was an interesting watch.

Comment

Working...
                                X