Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ Do you mean Oliver! 1968 or Oliver Twist 1948 or is there some new film version?

Comment

It's Oliver! that's in the Columbia Classics set so it must be that one.

I'm amazed you've never seen that one out Atticus, not out of a snobbish 'Ugh, how can you not have seen that', but just because it's been on telly so much at Christmastime and New Year's and all the rest of it. Feels like it was one of those films that was always around when I was a kid at those kind of times, sort of an ambient presence on television.

Interesting to get your perspective as someone fresh to it. I'm not a musical theatre person at all but I really like it, but I've been unsure how much of that is due to the childhood connection I mentioned above.

Comment

Yeah [MENTION=5818]fallenangle[/MENTION], [MENTION=5490]wakka[/MENTION] is absolutely right, I missed off the exclamation mark!

I was well aware of it since being a kid but I wasn’t remotely interested. Too musical-y. I was missing a treat though.

Comment

I was of the generation that suffered at school in music lessons having been forced en masse to sing songs from the then popular film musicals: Mary Poppins being one and Oliver! the other. Put me off musical theatre for life.

The 1948 David Lean Oliver Twist and Great Expectations are two of the best classic literary adaptations ever made and Great Expectations in particular amongst the best British films of all time.
          Last edited by fallenangle; 15-10-2021, 15:41. Reason: typo

Comment

I was propositioned with a 'do you fancy watching a film dad?' last night and we went for Freaky. Both enjoyed it. Really good fun. Body swap horror slasher mash-up that is worth watching for a number of reasons but mainly for Vince Vaughn playing a teenage girl

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
            two of the best classic literary adaptations ever made and Great Expectations in particular amongst the best British films of all time.
            Yeah, I've not seen David Lean's Oliver Twist but I love Great Expectations. Fantastic adaptation.

Comment

Finally got around to watching Tenet - I really enjoyed it. Denzel Washington's son was pretty good and surprisingly I thought Robert Pattinson was pretty good as well! Sir Ken is always great if even a little bit cliched in this role.

Comment

I watched Sunshine last night. It’s looks gorgeous with some beautiful shots and the cast is amazing. I had no idea all those people were in the movie. But the film didn’t land for me at all. I came away feeling like there was no story to tell. We’ve seen the “ship diverts to check out old distress call” story so many times and it can deliver or not deliver and, here, I just felt like there was nothing on the other end of that premise, so then it just descended into, well, what happens towards the end of the movie. But even on that journey, I felt a real struggle to create any kind of urgency or challenge, which led to a moment where the whole mission is potentially scuppered because one guy seemingly working alone for some reason just forgot to do something. The crew of the Prometheus wouldn’t have been that stupid.

I was just left with a sense that they had a nice visual idea of going to the sun and couldn’t figure out how to turn it into an actual story.

Comment

Sad emoji.

For me, each event chips away at their prospects of a successful mission and even less chance of returning home.

Oh well, at least you watched it, thanks.

I watched the new Pet Semetary and it was rubbish.

Comment

I watched Captain America: Civil War 3D in my ongoing quest to watch all the Marvel films with my son.
                    I tell you what, I definitely enjoyed it more this time. I originally didn't like how they'd changed it from the Superhero Registration Act of the comics (which I could understand would divide) to the movie's version where they used the excuse that there were casualties after they saved the world multiple times against world-conquering tyrants, like the better option was to let Loki enslave the Earth or let Ultron drop a city, causing an extinction event.

However, knowing the events, I was able to re-evaluate it and although I think Stark rolls over to Ross far too easily, I think he's constantly battling with the need to right the wrongs of his weapons manufacturing, his massive ego and the genuine desire to make the world safe.

I enjoyed the heroes being pulled in different directions and it was clever to make Zemo try a different method and instead of attacking them head-on ("where bigger people than me have failed"), but planting those seeds of doubt.

Some great action sequences and real developments of characters, especially Wanda and Vision.

Comment

Malignant - pretty average imaginary friend murder spree that doesnt do a lot until the reveal which was quite amusing, unfortunately that's 25 mins from the end and the only section that is interesting. Worth tuning in for mind.

Halloween Kills. This is a stupid movie however if you appreciate some good deaths/kills then there are some treats in here. Not a good film but fun in moments.

Comment

Halloween 6
                        Man, I suppose in some ways this is a better made film than the fifth one but barring the element of 'Ooo, Paul Rudd's in this one' the film is terrible. The leaning into the cult, supernatural, Myers assaulting and knocking up his niece (who's gone from 7 years old to 23 in six years) etc. It's just a very trashy film that see's the series stray too far into being a poor mans Friday the 13th film which is saying a lot in a way. Walking away from this canon was the best move the franchise made at this point.

Halloween H20
                        This film has aged in a way, there's something resolutely 90's Scream era about it which means there's no suspense to it at all but it's also a massive improvement on the films that had been released in the franchise. It's interesting to see it now that it itself is over 20 years old and see just how much the 2018 version (or H40 as it where) stole from it with Myers brought back to being just a man in a mask, Laurie dealing with post-traumatic stress and her shift to taking the fight back to Michael, being paranoid over her kid etc. As a 'Halloween III' replacement it works well and quite enjoyable still.

Comment

I can't remember the fate of Henry VIII's wives, but I can remember who the killer is in the Friday XIII series.

1 - Jason's mom, Pamela
                          2 - Sack Jason
                          3 - Hockey Jason
                          4 - Final Jason
                          5 - Paramedic Roy
                          6 - Zombie Jason
                          7 - Psychic Jason
                          8 - Manhattan Jason
                          9 - Hell Jason
                          10 - Space Jason
                          11 - Freddy Jason
                          12 - Reboot Jason

Comment

As per my post in the Dune thread:

Dune

Or if I’m being facetious:

The Arrival of Dune Runner 2049

It’s over 2.5 hours long but the time flies like a Guild Navigator.

I’m glad I kept away from the final trailer. I just saw it now and it’s basically the entire film turned into a Bad Influence DataBlast

Comment

Halloween Resurrection
                              I almost feel dirty saying this but... this was... okay? There's some really bad stuff in it like some of the actors, the whole Big Brother element, the weak intro and Myers getting beaten up by Busta Rhymes. However... the core of the film is actually pretty solid and in more capable hands could actually really work well as an entry. The idea of switching away from Myers slow stalking the lead till the last ten minutes and instead having the lead walk in on Myers home turf works well, having almost an entire film of cat and mouse and the cast constantly trying to evade and survive Michael would be great (as long as its survive focused and not Home Alone style trap based) and when this sways that way it has some decent moments that are more effective than most of the films before it. It's a shame as the lows are so low and are the bits you walk away remembering most.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                                I watched Sunshine last night. It’s looks gorgeous with some beautiful shots and the cast is amazing. I had no idea all those people were in the movie. But the film didn’t land for me at all. I came away feeling like there was no story to tell. We’ve seen the “ship diverts to check out old distress call” story so many times and it can deliver or not deliver and, here, I just felt like there was nothing on the other end of that premise, so then it just descended into, well, what happens towards the end of the movie. But even on that journey, I felt a real struggle to create any kind of urgency or challenge, which led to a moment where the whole mission is potentially scuppered because one guy seemingly working alone for some reason just forgot to do something. The crew of the Prometheus wouldn’t have been that stupid.

I was just left with a sense that they had a nice visual idea of going to the sun and couldn’t figure out how to turn it into an actual story.
                                Yeah, I remember seeing it years ago and felt very similar things. Just didn't work for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X