Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched Infinity War with my son on our 3D Marvel watch and convinced him that it's the last film and half the heroes are gone.
    Mwah ha haaaa!

We watched Ant-Man and Wasp (3D Blu-Ray) yesterday (set pre-snap) and loved it!
    It's everything that works with Marvel. Lots of fun, likeable characters with great banter between them and an exciting caper to enjoy.

The big/small gimmick is a lot of fun and pushes all those buttons like Land of the Giants, The Borrowers and Honey, I Shrunk The Kids. Some nice 3D effects throughout, but especially so when they shrink down between the atoms.

I also saw the newer Gunn Suicide Squad (NowTV) and it was decent enough.
    It's a more violent and sweary Guardians of the Galaxy, so you either think that's brilliant or unnecessary.
    I'm not a massive fan of Harley Quinn, if I'm honest. When Joker's around, she's the victim of an abusive relationship, when he's not there, she's this absolute ninja of destruction, knowing how every gun works and every martial art.
    I loved the final 20 minutes, though, but it felt a bit like a different film.

I took the kids to see Clifford The Big Red Dog at the cinema and it was bearable, but I don't think they were gripped.
    The two leads had good chemistry - Jack Whitehall as the awkward uncle and Darby Camp (Christmas Chronicles) as the outsider kid at a new school. Best joke was during a fight in a deli and Whitehall throws salt in a guy's face then knocks him out, then sprinkles salt down his arm. I properly guffawed at that.

Went back later and saw Matrix Resurrections. I really enjoyed it. Not without fault, especially the shakeycam in the train scene, but had me gripped enough to get the thrill of being back with the Matrix gang for a while. Feels like I'm the only one who gets anything out of the original sequels, so I guess it's the same here. *shrug*
    Last edited by QualityChimp; 04-01-2022, 09:12. Reason: bold

Comment

Aside from family stuff I'd mainly seen before we had a film night at a mate's house and watched Good Time, a film by the Safdie Brothers who made Uncut Gems. It came out before Gems and like that there is a theme of a downward spiral, with two brothers, one letting the other down and then trying to make it right. Robert Pattinson is on great form and the film is genuinely brilliant ... hard to watch and heartbreaking at times but brilliant. It's also a great night film. I love the look of certain films that take place at night and this is one of them. If you've seen Uncut Gems you'll have an idea of what to expect. Exhausting but rewarding.

Comment

It's been on my Netflix watch list forever, Atticus. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Must get round to it soon.

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        Went back later and saw Matrix Resurrections. I really enjoyed it. Not without fault, especially the shakeycam in the train scene, but had me gripped enough to get the thrill of being back with the Matrix gang for a while. Feels like I'm the only one who gets anything out of the original sequels, so I guess it's the same here. *shrug*
        I bet you like Speed Racer too. Starting to wonder if QC is actually Lana Wachowski. I mean, has anyone ever seen them in the same room together?

J/K. I haven't seen Resurrections. I was looking forward to it although the reviews don't bode too well. I'll be giving it a curiosity watch at some point though.
        Last edited by wakka; 04-01-2022, 12:38.

Comment

The stunnign end race to Speed Racer actually raises interesting questions about the action in Resurrections

Comment

I'll probably buy Speed Racer if it gets a 4K release and I have a 4K telly.
            I can imagine it would look amazing!

Comment

Black Widow - Was okay. Weirdly, despite it being a 12 like all the others, it felt a fair bit darker in tone at times.

Gunpowder Milkshake - Was okay. Some of the action scenes felt a bit stilted compared to other films of the same type like John Wick or Nobody. It did get better the longer it went on. Lena Headey is just a stone-cold badass and absolutely gorgeous too!

Comment

There was a raft of female-lead action films in 2021 and I thought Gunpowder Milkshake stood out the most for being the most cartoony. That's not a criticism, just less grounded than the others. The wheelchair bit felt silly, but fun. It felt a bit like Shoot 'Em Up, which is just surreal at times.

I particularly enjoyed that shot in the diner following along the counter and showing all the slow-motion destruction happening.

Thought Kate was better, but Jolt was worse. IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                  I also saw the newer Gunn Suicide Squad (NowTV) and it was decent enough.
                  It's a more violent and sweary Guardians of the Galaxy, so you either think that's brilliant or unnecessary.
                  I'm not a massive fan of Harley Quinn, if I'm honest. When Joker's around, she's the victim of an abusive relationship, when he's not there, she's this absolute ninja of destruction, knowing how every gun works and every martial art.
                  I loved the final 20 minutes, though, but it felt a bit like a different film.
                  i think maybe your being bit unfair with Harley throughout the whole of this film she feels like her own character and the jokers nowhere to be seen, but i know what you mean she has the weight of two failed films on her and even though this is a reboot of sorts maybe a completely new Harley would have pushed that this is them taking this series in a new direction.

Bar the issues with Harley i think the casting is spot on, the interplay between Blood sport and Peacemaker is brilliant, i loved that Idris Elba calls out the fact that peace maker has the exact same skill set as him so really shouldn't be on his team

the village scene where they are one upping each other with kills and end up wiping out 99% of the resistance movement in one misguided rescues attempt is exactly the sort of scene i want to see in this sort of film.

King shark is a joy to watch and brilliant voiced by Stallone and pokadot mans mother issues were played out well too, i also really like rat catcher and her back story. I really enjoyed it for what it was a big dumb gory mess of a movie that made me laugh, rocketed along at a good pace, had some great characters, and some great set pieces.
                  Last edited by Lebowski; 04-01-2022, 13:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                    i think maybe your being bit unfair with Harley throughout the whole of this film she feels like her own character and the jokers nowhere to be seen, but i know what you mean she has the weight of two failed films on her and even though this is a reboot of sorts maybe a completely new Harley would have pushed that this is them taking this series in a new direction.
                    I like Margot Robbie and even her portrayal of her, but it's the way she's written.
                    She used to be a psychiatric nurse who fell in love with the joker, which is played out with her "red flag" sequence.
                    For me, it's how she's the only survivor of the beach attack, can take out an army of soldiers, beat up a whole police station of cops (Emancipation) and outdo a whole team of supervillains, even the B-rank ones, usually with just a baseball bat.

Her spontaneous unpredictability should be her strength, but she feels as competent in combat as Bloodsport and Peacemaker.

However, your points are all valid and those are the reasons I enjoyed the film, rather than HQ spoiled it.
                    I'm not really hung up on it, when you consider how outlandish the ending section was!

It's a great beer and snacks movie!

Comment

Superman II
                      There's not muc new to say about Reeves second outing, still amusing people still cry so hard about Cavill killing Zod yet Reeves and Lois stone cold kill three people here and have zero remorse for it

Comment

Interesting thing to ponder for Harley Quinn and the DCU. Lots is being made about how Flash will see Affleck leave the DCU and Keaton will return and canonise his films. However, this means that in the new continuity the Joker died thirty years prior to modern events and so Robbie's Harley Quinn can't exist. WB is hugely unlikely to drop her though so I'd more likely assume that either there's more to the plan or they're actually planning two timelines to co-exist.

Comment

Went to the cinema last night and finally caught a film that amazingly I'd never seen on the big screen when it first released.

It was the height of the 1990's and a film came out that would help to define what action films would be perceived as. Taking the bold move of casting Keanu Reeves as the central hero of the film, his character facing a sharp worded and witted foe whilst finding love in the unlikeliest of scenarios. Forced to question everything around him as he tries to work out the nuances of the crisis he suddenly finds himself at the centre of, audiences were knocked back by the iconic action sequences and immediately recognisable and pulse raising soundtrack. The films most famous moments would go on to be parodied for years to come, even beyond the long wait fans had to endure until its less well recieved next entry would release. Yes, after all these years last night I finally managed a cinema based viewing of Keanu Reeves best action film of the 90's: Speed

Comment

I had money on Johnny Nmemonic, dang.

Comment

That's a good effort, Neon. Well played!

Comment

I had Point Break

Comment

Working...
                                X