Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I the only person who automatically reads the last line of posts before going back to the start? I have only just noticed I do this. Is it weird?! I feel like it's a kind of advance quality control. Will I want to go with this post, given I know where it's going?

Comment

Let me test this theory.

Dogg Thang sucks Dogg Thang sucks Dogg Thang sucks Dogg Thang sucks Dogg Thang sucks Dogg Thang sucks Dogg Thang sucks Dogg Thang sucks Dogg Thang sucks Dogg Thang sucks Dogg Thang sucks Dogg Thang sucks Dogg Thang sucks Dogg Thang sucks Dogg Thang sucks.

And in conclusion Dogg Thang's a great guy.

Comment

People are going to start ending all of their posts with secret PS messages directed for your attention now

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
          Let me test this theory.

Dogg Thang sucks Dogg Thang sucks Dogg Thang sucks Dogg Thang sucks Dogg Thang sucks Dogg Thang sucks Dogg Thang sucks Dogg Thang sucks Dogg Thang sucks Dogg Thang sucks Dogg Thang sucks Dogg Thang sucks Dogg Thang sucks Dogg Thang sucks Dogg Thang sucks.

And in conclusion Dogg Thang's a great guy.
          Aw, I love you, buddy. Thank you. Wait, what?! Damn you!

Comment

Since we’re shockingly taking some time off work my wife and I had time to watch two entire films tonight, the mind boggles.

I’ll come back to the first one tomorrow, as though we went in to it fully expecting a turd, it was a lot of fun and put us in to a great mood for our second highly rated choice.....

Film two was Suicide Squad (new version) and dear god we were blown away by it. And when I say blown away by it, I mean by it’s awfulness. Absolutely flat, no charm, and without the slightest adrenaline rush you’d expect from a comic book film. I’d read that the first two films with Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn had bombed but this was the good one, I can only assume the previous efforts were some kind cinematic torture experiments. I like Robbie, she’s a great actress, but she needs to step away from this character because on this showing it’s ****ing awful.

Worst film I’ve watched in 2022 so far. And I say that after relenting to my wife after years of badgering and having watched the first two Harry Potter films this week.

Comment

Watched Sea Fever 2019 on Film4 last night - don't bother.

Small scale/low budget 'creature feature'/survival horror where the bizarre mix of characters on an Irish fishing boat are so shallow, cliched and under-written, even the main focus: an out of her depth research student, you are not made to give a damn about any of them. Result: when they die it remains as flat as pancake.

It 'borrows' so heavily from far better survival horror films and any number of other similar B-movies you're better off watching any of them rather than this, at best blandly inoffensive, additional to the genre.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                Am I the only person who automatically reads the last line of posts before going back to the start? I have only just noticed I do this. Is it weird?! I feel like it's a kind of advance quality control. Will I want to go with this post, given I know where it's going?
                Maybe it’s due to the rise of tl;drs?

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                  Maybe it’s due to the rise of tl;drs?
                  Yep, quite possibly.

Comment

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
                    First rewatch of this and it held up really, really well. The missus hadn't seen it before and it helped shake her out of her post-Endgame disinterest too.

Comment

Finished off my Marvel Infinity Saga watch with my son at the weekend with Captain Marvel and Endgame.

Captain Marvel is really good fun, but I'd say I probably got a bit more from it because of the nostalgia factor. The 90s was my time growing up, so I loved the soundtrack. I dig how much screen time Nick Fury gets and their interactions seem really genuine.

I do wonder about the point of the character is, though.

She's the MCU equivalent of Superman by being ultra powerful, but they don't seem to do much with her. On first viewing, I thought she would be vital in stopping a gauntleted Thanos, but she's not. She makes an appearance at the end, destroying a ship and tussling with Thanos, but it could have been written differently with other characters.

I guess I'm overanalysing it, but she's not as MVP as she should have been?

Anyway, onto Endgame and I preferred Infinity War on first watch, but this is better than I remembered. I'd forgotten how long it was, but it absolutely breezed along.
                      It's a real rollercoaster and goes through many stages.

That initial stage, where they've well and truly lost is harsh, but I love the moment that Scott Lang (Ant-Man) returns and the dramatic music starts and a seed of an idea is formed.

There are some tough moments for me, not just with the death of certain characters, but also the reappearances.
                      Scott Lang's daughter thinking her dad was dead for half a decade, then rings their doorbell or Star Lord seeing Gamora again. Thor getting the chance to see his mother one last time. I was really envious of these second chances.

I still think Tony Stark is a prick, though. His argument with Steve Rogers at the start, claiming he should have listened to his plan to put armour around the globe is total arrogance because that created Ultron and nearly started an extinction-level event! Not only that, but I doubt any armour would have stopped a determined Thanos.
                      At least he has some kind of redemption arc, but it's still a shame they didn't follow the trajectory that started in Iron Man 3 then halted in Homecoming and he reverted to being a douche.

Anyway, it was an absolute joy rewatching these with my son.
                      Buying them in 3D has added an extra *ahem* dimension to the viewing and ensured each film has been its own little event, sometimes with popcorn, but always on the projector. I've enjoyed popping into CEX across the land, picking up the films on the cheap or looking for online sales.
                      I've enjoyed discussing the films and the characters with him and he's been reading about them. I'll have to get some of the comics of characters he's enjoyed watching.

Now, there are loads more Marvel films and series to watch, but I want to introduce him to some more cinematic gems now I think he's old enough. Star Wars, Back to the Future, Indiana Jones, Ghostbusters and anything that might make an appearance at Universal Studios/Disney World.

Can't wait!

Comment

With Captain Marvel, I feel like with her introduction coming so late, it would have felt like deus ex machina to have her play a big role in Endgame. It would have felt cheap and taken away from all the characters they spent more than a decade building. And it does feel like they want to set her up as a space ranger, not defender of the Earth. Which is fine because there is already a "why didn't the Avengers help here?" thing with every individual Marvel film.

This weekend, I watched Bloodsport, which I love and is a stone cold classic. The true champion of that movie is Paul Hertzog, who also scored Kickboxer. The vibe of these movies is just perfect and I love every minute of Bloodsport.

I also watched 500 Days of Summer, which I had never seen before but had heard it was good. And it was okay. I felt the character of Summer was horrible from the very first moment all the way to the end and that didn't help the movie for me. I feel like it was kind of intentional but maybe her charisma was supposed to shine through in spite of her character? I don't know but the movie didn't quite land in the way I think maybe it was supposed to because I didn't like her.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                          I do wonder about the point of the character is, though.

She's the MCU equivalent of Superman by being ultra powerful, but they don't seem to do much with her. On first viewing, I thought she would be vital in stopping a gauntleted Thanos, but she's not. She makes an appearance at the end, destroying a ship and tussling with Thanos, but it could have been written differently with other characters.

I guess I'm overanalysing it, but she's not as MVP as she should have been?
                          Yeah, I mean the movie came in quite late-in-the-day (it was in the cinemas when the "final approach" advertising had already started for Endgame) and I as a result I judged the film a bit unfairly because Marvel sources made it out like the events of the film would be really important, like if you didn't go see it in the cinema, you'd miss out on something really important for Endgame. That was ultimately just PR bluster, because you would've been totally okay to see it provided you had a rough idea who CM is and what her powers are (I mean all you needed to know is "she's Marvel Superman, from space").

I enjoyed it, but I lump it in a bit with Dr. Strange in that it was past the point that some of the movies had started to feel a bit formulaic, something which I think has peaked with Black Widow.

Comment

The worst bit about CM being the Marvel Superman is that she kind of doesn't even live up to that. The film itself, outside of the 90's setting, is one of Marvel's blandest origin stories and kind of leaves you still cold to the character. The arc seems to largely just be that she becomes over powered over the course of the film but even when that then comes in to Endgame it seems her special power is blowing up ships because when she goes toe to toe with Thanos she should decimate him but instead they exchange a few headbutts which isn't really a world away from Captain America or three of the others holding his arms still for a while.

I think the intention is that she will be Cap's replacement for Phase 4 onward but I'm very doubtful that will come to fruition. With an overpowered character you need particular quirks to bring out the dramatic stakes and that doesn't exist with Carol yet. Marvel seem to have much more success with more vulnerable characters

Comment

Sorry, I squeezed in a couple of other watches (but in chunks, annoyingly).

No Blood, No Tears (2002 via DVD) is by Ryu Seung-Wan and I loved his film City of Violence and was recommended this.
                              It's OK. It's about two women who team up to rob the gangsters who have wronged them in various ways.
                              The two leads are likeable, but felt awkward that the one seems to get physically and verbally abused throughout the film without it trying to say something about it other than her motivation to rob the gangsters.

Some decent action sequences. Some a little bit too close, but it gets good any time Jung Doo-hong turns up and he has a great fight towards the end. He's got real screen presence and he's great in this, even without any lines to say.

If you liked some of the director's other films (Arahan, Crying Fist), then check this out, but I still massively prefer City of Violence because of the excellent action sequences (and intriguing murder mystery plot).

I also watched Soylent Green (1973 via Archive.org). This film really stuck with me since I first saw it and I've been meaning to revisit it for a while. Then I saw it's set in 2022 and it felt like the right time.

It's not streaming anywhere, but it's on Archive.org and is a crisp print. I just watched it on the browsers on my PC, Xbox One and PS4 (watched in chunks, annoyingly).

It's a shame the ending is so well known, because if you don't know, it must have been quite shocking.
                              The film is a well-crafted one with an excellent cast (especially Heston), intriguing story and clever effects glimpsing at a dystopian future. It's properly gritty with an interesting look at classes and the powers of the law.

I know the ending is supposed to be fantasy, but the way we're decimating the planet, big businesses have politicians in their pockets and are making decisions for the government, plus the way we've seen MPs prioritising profits over lives, it does feel like we're a series of smaller steps away from getting there...

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                                The worst bit about CM being the Marvel Superman is that she kind of doesn't even live up to that. The film itself, outside of the 90's setting, is one of Marvel's blandest origin stories and kind of leaves you still cold to the character. The arc seems to largely just be that she becomes over powered over the course of the film but even when that then comes in to Endgame it seems her special power is blowing up ships because when she goes toe to toe with Thanos she should decimate him but instead they exchange a few headbutts which isn't really a world away from Captain America or three of the others holding his arms still for a while.
                                I actually really liked how they choreographed her fight with Thanos, because a lot happens in a very short time.

She decks him with the first few hits, then grabs his gauntlet.

Thanos punches her and she doesn't move, then, clearly frustrated, he headbutts her, but she doesn't move (it's a bit of a Dragonball moment; she takes the hit but she's like a piece of iron and doesn't even flinch).

You get a moment of Thanos being visibly terrified at this, so he grabs the power stone out of the gauntlet, balls his fist around it and punches her in the face. This knocks her flying.

It's short but I thought it was really well done. Without the Power Stone, she probably would've just taken him out, but Thanos's quick thinking allowed him to get the upper hand.

Comment

Working...
                                X