Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, cheers [MENTION=5490]wakka[/MENTION] … reckon I’ll go for that regular edition

Comment

How I Became A Superhero
      French film about a liaison officer who has crashed and burned after causing the death of one of the superhero's he works in support of only to have to get it together when ordinary people start displaying abilities. Not too bad, nothing special, but entertaining enough.

Comment

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2022). It’s bad.

Comment

After the disappointment last week that Timecop wasn't on any streaming service here, I got the blu-ray and watched it last night. Absolute STONE. COLD. CLASSIC. It's a superb movie. I'm on a total VanDamme kick at the moment. I have to admit, back in the day I just wasn't a fan, in spite of always having at thing for Kickboxer and Bloodsport, and so I feel like I'm rediscovering something totally different in his movies now.

Comment

Timecop often gets bad reviews but I've always enjoyed it too. Not a big fan of CVD but adding Mia Sara (Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Legend) elevates this above the typical second division sci-fi action film it might otherwise have been.

Comment

To Die For (1995). Nicole Kidman stars as a sociopath hell bent on making it in TV. Black comedy/thriller with a fun teenage cast including Joaquin Phoenix & Casey Afleck. Deffo recomend.

Comment

Comment

I continued my VanDamme season with Double Impact. I remember this being advertised heavily in comics back in the day but had never seen it. Not one but two VanDammes so it was twice as good. Had the main opponent from Bloodsport in it too and an actor from the 80s who I can’t remember but he was really good. I loved it.

Comment

Now I want to go
                    On a van damme movie mission.

Comment

It's a shame JCVD got too full of himself and coke. He could have had the 90s in the palm of his hand.
                      He asked for $50m to be in Timecop 2 and pissed off the studio with all his BS filming Street Fighter. That ended him.

Comment

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (2010 Via Blu-Ray)
                        Nearly there with our Potter watch with my son. Once he's done we'll be prepped for Universal Studios, we can finish the boardgame (Hogwarts Battle, which is brilliant and follows the films, so spoilers) and possibly take my son to see the play one day.
                        I really like this one. The opening chase is great, especially the grounded bits. It's pretty menacing too, with people getting chomped by snakes awl o'er. The polyjuice potion raid on The Ministry is great fun.
                        The thing I liked the most about this one is, despite the dark tone, it still manages to be quite beautiful. Some of the places they hide whilst on the run are gorgeous.

My wife watched the first film with my daughter, whilst I watched the penultimate film with my son, so we're all versed in the lore of Potter now!

The Little Mermaid ​(1989 via D+)
                        Another one I'd never seen. These all came out when I was a teenager, moving away from Disney cartoons, but it's lovely to watch them with my daughter (there's a TLM ride at Disney). I also appreciate the animation a lot more now we're in an age where everything is done by computer. The score is lovely and some of the songs are timeless, especially Under The Sea.
                        As a parent, I relate to the father being unimpressed that his 16-yr-old daughter wants to run off and get married, but it's an old tale.

The Beach (2000 via D+)
                        Thought I'd mooch through Star for a change and I'd never seen this, despite loving Danny Boyle's work.
                        Apparently, it's an adaptation of Alex Garland's novel before they started working together and it lacks some elements, but I've not read it. It's an interesting story, with the enticement of travellers always wanting to go one better than the usual tourist traps.
                        It's no spoiler to say that he gets to the beach and that's where things start to unravel.
                        I bought into the storyline of his lust leading him to bad decisions, but when he starts going Apocalypse Now Jr. it seems a step too far too quick, for me.
                        Anyway, it was an interesting watch, especially how young the cast look, but Boyle manages to capture the sweaty claustrophobic city and the idyllic tranquillity of beach life.

Comment

Reminiscence was on my radar for a while as I'm a sucker for a bit of future noir and this one has all the tropes. Set in a near future where coastal Miami is half sunken in water and the daytime sun is so intense people have become almost nocturnal. The title/crux of the film refers to Hugh Jackman's business which allows users to realistically experience their favourite memories over and over. In this world, nostalgia is everything as the future is pretty bleak. But then Rebecca Ferguson's femme fatale walks in mixes things up a bit. It's got good ingredients: written and directed by Lisa Joy of Westworld fame. It's got a great cast including Thandie Newton. The world looks great. And really, it's an under-served genre we just don't get enough of. But in spite of all that I can kind of see why it didn't review very well. In fact its RT score is rock bottom. It's not that bad, not at all, but it's faults can't be ignored. The script feels all over the place, telling you too much of one thing and not enough of the other ... always feeling too lite on what you really want it to go deeper on. Jackman's narration gives some scenes that link up the story the feel of a aftershave commercial. But in the end I could look beyond it's faults because I enjoyed the themes of living in nostalgia, exploring memories and a sweet old-fashioned romance.

Comment

The Mummy
                            As ever, nothing comes close to Indy, but it's been a long time since I've seen the first Fraser film and it's still a great watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                              The Mummy
                              As ever, nothing comes close to Indy, but it's been a long time since I've seen the first Fraser film and it's still a great watch.
                              Gutted the ride will be closed when we go, as this was on the pre-holiday watchlist!

Comment

It's a great ride that at worst should have been rebranded, at best... had The Mummy 4 made

Comment

Working...
                                X