Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really.............................Jaws 3 "Great stuff......."?

Nay, nay and thrice nay.

Comment

Lol it's no Sharknado but as nonsense b movies go it's fun

Comment

Watched 2019 "Charlie's Angels" on Film4 Saturday - wished I had not.

Really bad and they're repeating it on Thursday I think.

Everything most of the critics both professional and amateur say about it is correct. What (Sir) Patrick Stewart was doing in it I can only imagine it must be because they paid him very well - not one for his CV that's for sure.

Comment

The Batman
          Third watch and I enjoyed it again, definitely time to leave it a good while before watching it again. The missus first time though, she was less keen on it, essentially the film was too slow and too humourless to appeal to her

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
            Jaws 3. Great stuff as long as you aren't expecting anything serious.
            Then moved on to Jaws 4 and it's suddenly back to trying to be serious. Never seen it before and enjoying the first half an hour.
            I watched Jaws 2 last month because I recently saw the original and a few people were reappraising the sequel as better than you think because anything pales to Spielberg's classic. I thought it just rehashed some of the interesting moments of the original, but leant into the "shark with a vendetta" notion, although I liked how it was scarred, so had some character. The ending was used on the classic Jaws ride.

Not sure if I'll bother with 3, though.

Metal Lords was brilliant and I'm glad a few more people are watching it.

We're plodding on with our Spider-Man rewatch, so my son has an idea what's going on when we finally see No Way Home.

Spider-Man 3 is pretty poor. The whole thing with MJ is painful to watch. The on-again, off-again thing got me groaning every time it switched again. He really should have got together with his landlord's daughter in the second film and stuck with her.

It's clumsy how it handles all the bad guys, retconning Uncle Ben's death to give Sandman some connection to Parker that's unnecessary and Venom just turns up after 5 minutes. Green Goblin V2 gets amnesia, which is always an enthralling narrative device. The Lizard is alluded to as well, as if it wasn't busy enough.

Then there's the finale with MJ kidnapped again, like in the first 2 films because she's a weakness for bad guys to exploit and the reason why Parker said they couldn't be together in the first place.

There are a couple of cool moments like the sequence where Marko is running from the cops and it feel like a comicbook, but there's very little Raimi flair in here.

Oh and the dancing. Sweet Lord!

The Amazing Spider-Man felt better in the cinema because it wasn't as bad as Spider-Man 3, but yikes this is pretty ham-fisted too. Garfield and Stone are great leads because they're such endearing characters, but there's little chemistry. Martin Sheen as Uncle Ben is pretty poor. He just talks over everyone. His big moment that defines Spider-Man being a hero is awful. Parker forgets to pick up Aunt May, who forgives him, but Ben talks over Parker trying to explain, then over May trying to say it's OK, then recited the "With great power..." line, but in the most awkward way ever. Then, when Parker storms out, upset at his parents' abandonment, May tells Ben to let him cool off, but ignores him and chases after him!

Let's talk about those parents - that's a massive plot driving device early on, but it's just abandoned. Same as the Oscorp boss and several other strands. Talking of strands, it's the worst version yet for his webshooters. In the comics, he invented them, in the Ultimates version he completed his father's research (my fave idea) in the Spider-Man movie trilogy it's organic (useful narrative device in 2, but ewww), but in this he just steals them from Oscorp. The end.

Oh and what's with movie Spider-Men always wanting to take their masks off every 5 minutes? Sheesh!
            He literally puts "PROPERTY OF PETER PARKER" on his camera to snap The Lizard.

Anyway, Pitch Meeting compiles all these issues together in a lovely succinct video, as usual.

You might think sharing the video would be tough, but it's super easy. Barely an inconvenience

Last edited by QualityChimp; 30-05-2022, 08:17.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
              Spider-Man 3 is pretty poor. The whole thing with MJ is painful to watch. The on-again, off-again thing got me groaning every time it switched again. He really should have got together with his landlord's daughter in the second film and stuck with her.

It's clumsy how it handles all the bad guys, retconning Uncle Ben's death to give Sandman some connection to Parker that's unnecessary and Venom just turns up after 5 minutes. Green Goblin V2 gets amnesia, which is always an enthralling narrative device. The Lizard is alluded to as well, as if it wasn't busy enough.

Then there's the finale with MJ kidnapped again, like in the first 2 films because she's a weakness for bad guys to exploit and the reason why Parker said they couldn't be together in the first place.

There are a couple of cool moments like the sequence where Marko is running from the cops and it feel like a comicbook, but there's very little Raimi flair in here.

Oh and the dancing. Sweet Lord!
              Spider-Man 3 is fascinating in a way. At face value it's a straight forward drop off in quality but the background to the film frames it in a way that it makes a lot of sense how it turned out. Almost every element of it that is derided relates to the elements Sony forced into the film. I think the three bits that people aren't fans of that link closes to Raimi tend to be how Harry pans out which is because the films over crammed nature squeezes the focus too much to allow the dynamic to breathe like it does in the first two, the dance sequence which feels intentionally included because Raimi detests Venom and that he was forced into including the character so it feels like a purposeful middle finger to do it in a way Sony wouldn't be served by and the Sandman/Ben connection. The latter one I think was always destined to be in there as he likes to create a personal connection to Parker with his villains. Raimi clearly disengaged at times in the film and I can imagine talks on Spider-Man 4 were specifically around telling Sony they needed to back off (which we know they ended up doubling down on instead) but when Raimi is doing the bits he presumably always planned to do they are good - like the Sandman genesis sequence

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                like the Sandman genesis sequence
                Cheers, I forgot to mention that. Although the effects are slightly dated, the scene itself is really well done.
                Seeing him try to reassemble himself, then walk, but keeps dissolving is particularly well-handled and stands out as quite a long sequence of quiet reflection in a particularly noisy film.

Comment

"With great power, comes great responsibility."

"Your father lived by a philosophy, a principle, really. He believed that if you could do good things for other people, you had a moral obligation to do those things. That's what's at stake here - not choice. Responsibility."

Comment

Awful isn't it? No Way Home kind of submits to it much more with "With great power, there must also come great responsibility" but ultimately the trouble they have is the Maguire films nailed and rammed home the definitive quote first. Even the Holland film feels the need to tinker and such a small change makes it sound wordy, like it's sentenced unnaturally for the character simply to avoid a direct repeat.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... Maguire films for the win!

Comment

If you asked me a month back if I would be interested in watching a movie of Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers I would have assumed you were on something. But it came out, a few friends made some surprisingly positive comments, and before you know it, we were in too. It's very self-aware and silly, but blends a whole bunch of animation styles to make something that is consistantly funny and surprisingly smart. It says a lot that I'm not even mad about people making comparisons to Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Comment

I've only seen a few bits, still not seen it properly but it gets a star simply for one of the early cameos

Comment

I watched Class Action Park on NowTV about a waterpark in the 1980s that was pretty slack with any kind of health and safety rules.

It's genuinely an interesting documentary because despite it talking about the injuries and, ultimately, multiple deaths, most of the people seem to look back with fondness to it, looking back to a bygone era where kids could go out for the day without their parents and nobody was worried.

In fact, I chatted with someone on Facebook who'd actually been and said it was great and that getting injured was just part of the fun!

I then went on to watch a bit of Defunctland on YouTube and the Jaws ride in Universal Japan.

Comment

Finally got to watch Everything, Everywhere, All At Once after reading a load of glowing reviews from various places.

This is the multiverse movie with Michelle Yeow... It's kinda a Chinese Matrix, but it's more a comedy than anything else.

It's a good film alright, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I was hoping. I'm not sure why exactly but maybe it's just too zany for it's own good... It's definitely one of the wackiest movies to release in recent memory.

To explain any of a major scenes would ruin the viewing so I won't divulge anything. Go in cold if you can and maybe even avoid reviews.

I'd give it a solid 8/10 but your mileage may vary.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp
                              Jaws ride in Universal Japan

During the queue for the Jaws ride at Universal Japan, they show those instructional videos on monitors that tell you to keep your hands and arms in the car at all times etc.

What's hilarious about them though is they're done in this deliberately comical way, every time showing a boat filled with all Japanese people except one fat white guy (who looks cartoonishly American), doing the thing the video is telling you not to do while all the Japanese people look around at him in alarm, e.g. eating a burger and fries, smoking, etc

Kinda xenophobic but honestly also pretty funny.

Comment

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
                                Jubilee and mother in law visiting so went to rewatch this, easier going second time around. Fun little film

Comment

Working...
                                X