Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps not the ringing endorsement they were looking for, but surprised myself by not hating Free Guy. There's distracting product placement, and it is chock-full of references, in-jokes, and cameos that are there solely to prick the ears of the games-playing audience - but it also has some actual characters and a story of its own on top that take it beyond just being an insufferable string of "DO YOU REMEMBER THIS?!" moments a la Ready Player 1. Reynolds and Comer both good choices in the leads.

Also watched Wolfwalkers. It's an animated thing set in 17th century Ireland and centres on a pair of young characters on either side of an ongoing conflict between wolves trying to protect the forest they live in from local townsfolk. Was expecting to have a big Ghibli-shaped chip on my shoulder throughout this, but that didn't really manifest as it felt like it had a younger audience in mind. Was definitely at its best when at its most joyful, showing a spiritual and playful side to the wolves and doing some more interesting things with the animation, but the rest of the time I can't say I found the story engaging enough or the art compelling enough to win me around.

Comment

The Spy Who Loved Me
      The second of the Bond films I went to see on the big screen, there are a healthy amount of iconic Bond moments and the like with the only real weak link being the villain who doesn't do too much directly and is dispatched too easily but otherwise it's best summed up by:

Comment

No body does it better than Alan Partridge

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
          Perhaps not the ringing endorsement they were looking for, but surprised myself by not hating Free Guy. There's distracting product placement, and it is chock-full of references, in-jokes, and cameos that are there solely to prick the ears of the games-playing audience - but it also has some actual characters and a story of its own on top that take it beyond just being an insufferable string of "DO YOU REMEMBER THIS?!" moments a la Ready Player 1. Reynolds and Comer both good choices in the leads.

Also watched Wolfwalkers. It's an animated thing set in 17th century Ireland and centres on a pair of young characters on either side of an ongoing conflict between wolves trying to protect the forest they live in from local townsfolk. Was expecting to have a big Ghibli-shaped chip on my shoulder throughout this, but that didn't really manifest as it felt like it had a younger audience in mind. Was definitely at its best when at its most joyful, showing a spiritual and playful side to the wolves and doing some more interesting things with the animation, but the rest of the time I can't say I found the story engaging enough or the art compelling enough to win me around.
          Its' a shame you started with wolf walkers as i didn't rate it either, the two previous films are amazing my kids must of watched Song of the sea about a million times and i loved it too the music and animation is so nicely done. The secret of Kells is also worth a watch for its music animation.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
            The Spy Who Loved Me
            The second of the Bond films I went to see on the big screen, there are a healthy amount of iconic Bond moments and the like with the only real weak link being the villain who doesn't do too much directly and is dispatched too easily but otherwise it's best summed up by:

I hate this sketch.

Not because it's unfunny, but because I can see myself going off on a similar rant and I feel attacked.

Comment

Elvis
              For a film that's nearly three hours in length it absolutely blisters along. I thought most of his life was set to be covered in the first hour but it's a testament to how much Elvis experienced that it just keeps on going. I was familiar with much of the story already but I didn't know he was only 42 when he died, his later life and circumstances were so hugely unnecessary as well, a real lesson in the trappings of fame and allowing those around you to manipulate you for their own gain. It's insane to think he theoretically could have still been alive today. Butler is insanely good in the role, particularly given how unlike other biopics he's actually singing too. It's not a perfect film by any means but its well acted for the main and the ending hits enough of the right notes.

Comment

Father Stu

This was really enjoyable. Marky Mark (Lead singer in The Funky Bunch) plays the lead and he's pretty damn good. Mel Gibson does his thing okay too. Won't say too much more as it gives the game away but it's based on a true story and worthy of your time I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                  Elvis
                  I've heard it's wildly inaccurate and misses some major life events like the time he shot a television or when he fought Bubba Ho-Tep.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                    I've heard it's wildly inaccurate and misses some major life events like the time he shot a television or when he fought Bubba Ho-Tep.
                    Bruce Campbell Elvis FTW!

Comment

Watching Mad Max as all four are on Amazon; Blobcat has never seen it before.

I didn't realise Fury Road was a reboot. I thought it was a sequel.

Comment

According to Miller they're folklore style stories about Max and the world so each Mad Max is separate from the next. I guess that's how they also get around how there's little consistency between Mad Max 1 & 2 also

Comment

Minions: Rise of Gru
                          Took the elder two kids yesterday, they enjoyed it but whilst there's nothing really wrong with this entry there is a very strong whiff of diminishing returns. Probably the second weakest entry, just short of the original film.

Comment

I finally got round to watching The Batman recently. Peeps at work have been griping about it for months so I had my expectations in check but I thought it was a great Batman film. Not perfect, but none of them are perfect. I always love a film with a vision and this one absolutely has. The dark, mature vibe feels closer to the comic books and the film looks beautiful. Very brave of a major studio to make a 3 hour film that's so heavy on shade there's no room for light. Robert Pattinson doesn't get much Bruce Wayne time but makes for a great Batman imo ... second only to Keaton. And Dano's take on the Riddler is genuinely unsettling. It's a long film and I did feel old-man fatigue kicking in at times but in the end I had a great time and feel like watching it again already.

Comment

Top Gun Maverick (imax)

Wicked. The story is serviceable and everything moves along swiftly. The action scenes were astonishing. I had a hard time figuring out what was CGI and what wasn’t.

Bonus points for having the original Danger Zone and not a DnB remix like I’d feared!

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                                Top Gun Maverick (imax)

Wicked. The story is serviceable and everything moves along swiftly. The action scenes were astonishing. I had a hard time figuring out what was CGI and what wasn’t.

Bonus points for having the original Danger Zone and not a DnB remix like I’d feared!
                                TopGun Mavric is the ONLY movie I've seen on the cinema, twice. Fair point, the first time was on that ****ty Screen X set up but watching it again on the massive screen with Dolby Atmos sure made up for that. The second time I went with the missus. It was the first time she has been to the cinema in over 30 years!!

Comment

Working...
                                X