Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m really looking forward to the new Godzilla. It’s not out until the 15th here. Last night, I watched Hot Rod yet again. It has definitely crept its way into my top ten movies, I think. At least for now.

Comment

Gremlins
      Tried this with the kids, it fared fairly well and holds up decently too

Gremlins 2
      The first half of this the kids struggled with, likely because so much of it is a rerun of the first but once it starts to dial things up it recaptured them

Comment

TMNT Mutant Mayhem. You get the feeling someone at Paramount asked for a 'Spider-verse'. What this is though is its own thing. Looks amazing, sounds amazing, joy everywhere. Loved it.

Comment

The House by the Cemetery. I've never been a huge fan of Fulci and this film didn't do a lot to change that. Not bad by any means, just average.

Comment

I saw Saltburn. A sexy rework of The Talented Mr Ripley which sees a poor boy befriend a rich boy at Oxford and spend the summer at the latter's vast country manor. A queer infatuation becomes something darker.

Tonally inconsistent, visually beautiful, a great set-up and an absolutely insane third act that annoyingly threatens to derail the whole edifice, it's worthy of a watch but dial phasers down from 'stun' to 'amuse'. Due to hit Prime in a few weeks but not suitable for Christmas viewing with the family due to more than one bizarre (and kinky) sequence.

Rosamund Pike as the rich boy's mother puts in a scene-stealing black comedy performance that had me laughing out loud at points - a highlight.

Comment

[PHP]Classic 80s animation tonight with Transformers the Movie on 4K BluRay. It still looks fantastic.
              The screen looks a bit wonky in these photos but from the reclining chair's view point their perfectly straight.

Comment

finally managed to watch something and that something was Confess, Fletch. Loads of laugh out loud moments, this deserves more kudos it was a really good movie. Jon Hamm was excellent and the little cameo by fellow Mad Men alumnus John Slattery was great!

Comment

Love Actually
                  Continues to only become more problematic with every viewing including its precisely 1 actual story arc that is a positive story about love, actually

Comment

Killers of the flower moon:

Very good but an hour and a half longer than it needed to be.

Comment

Tokyo Godfathers

I always enjoy Satoshi Kon films but I hadn't seen this one before. It's had a cinema rerelease and a new transfer for its twentieth anniversary, so I was able to catch it at the Odeon on Saturday afternoon.

A lovely, warm hearted story about three homeless people who find a baby and who go on a picaresque journey through the snowy streets of winter Tokyo to find her parents. I loved it. Brilliant characters.

Comment

Forgot one:

Elf
                        Still has its occasional moments, still obscenely overrated

Comment

full of cold feel like crap so did very little this weekend but watch movies

Suzume, Makoto Shinkai’s follow up to Your name kept us enthralled through out absolutely gorgeous animation on par with studio ghiblis finest, he manages to capture some amazing locations and the film is just a feast for the eyes. I really liked how he captures the isolation of forgotten places and how nature is taking them back it has a really cool urban exploration vibe to it. The roller coaster journey across japan kept us glued to it all the way through and i think like weathering with you and Your Name it will stand up to repeated viewings.

Elemental the animation and characters are amazing to look at but i felt like i was constantly being hit over the head with a chair with the racism theme. it handles it with none of the subtlety of Pixar's earlier work. The story unfolds with two fire elements that have emigrated from their homeland to the big city and have a daughter, Fire elements are seen as the bottom rung in cast system that puts Water, Air and Earth elements at the top. It's full of the usual tropes and centers around a forbideen relationship between a fire and water element. Heavy handed at times but watchable, not Pixar's best work but no means it worst either.

We also fitted in some of the usual Christmas Classics like Muppet's Christmas carol, The Polar Express and Elf

​
                          Last edited by Lebowski; 11-12-2023, 11:07.

Comment

Finally got round to seeing One Cut of the Dead. I'm so glad I avoided any reviews (looking now, they all spoil it) and mates were good enough to say nothing. It's a film that keeps on surprising and delighting. By the end I had such a big smile.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                              Suzume, Makoto Shinkai’s follow up to Your name kept us enthralled through out absolutely gorgeous animation on par with studio ghiblis finest, he manages to capture some amazing locations and the film is just a feast for the eyes. I really liked how he captures the isolation of forgotten places and how nature is taking them back it has a really cool urban exploration vibe to it. The roller coaster journey across japan kept us glued to it all the way through and i think like weathering with you and Your Name it will stand up to repeated viewings.
                              ​
                              Where did you see this? I can't find it and I want to see it.

Comment

It's Exclusive to Crunchy roll in the UK at the moment which is £5.99 a month, they do a 14 day free trial so you could just watch it and cancel for free.

Not sure if its still available but one of the extra game-pass perks was 3 months of crunchy roll premium for new subscribers.

Comment

Working...
                                X