Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All Of Us Strangers brings Paul Mescal up to a 3 for 3 (Normal People, Aftersun) hit rate in terms of making me weep like a small child. As a complete story I don't think it's particularly striking, but in terms of what that story allows the characters to express, the conversations they can have, and the power of those? God, it's devastating.

Comment

The Creator, Gareth Edward's District 9 essentially. It's ok, looks good for sure, unengaging at times and feels a bit videogamey in a bad way. Nearly cracked a tear at the ending.

Comment

God, where to start with How to Have Sex. Even if you were never one for a 'shagaluf'-esque holiday, I'd wager most have at the very least heard stories of what they encapsulate. Well, this is a (beautifully captured!) snapshot of this custom, framed through the eyes of teenage girls, and shining a light on issues of peer pressure and consent. It's very good, but worth knowing a bit about what you're letting your watch party in for, as I suspect it's an even more harrowing watch for women.

Comment

Got bored waiting for the 2nd half of the rugby and saw Blazing Saddles was on iPlayer, so started that and ended up watching the whole thing. Not only that but it autoplayed Weird Science straight after and I watched that too.

I think it's important to appreciate they are films of the time and some elements are horribly dated.
          A 23 year-old woman hanging out with two 15 year-old boys in sexual situations is pretty much illegal these days!

Still, it was an afternoon well spent as they're both still very funny.

Comment

The Wizard of Oz
            Stil impressively made for its time

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
              The Wizard of Oz
              Stil impressively made for its time
              Yikes!

Comment

They don't make 'em like they used to!

Comment

So...

Madame Web
                  Last year's growing suspicion that superhero films now exist within some sort of a critic bubble where they're now only permitted to be masterpieces or THE WORST MOVIE OF ALL TIME!?!!? continues to become a cemented observation with this new Sony release. Is it good? Not really, it is after all a Sony made superhero film. A lot of the issues reviews have raised are real to the film. But, you have to have not seen too many films to have not seen worse either. It's just kind of 'there' but I'm not sure I'd even think of it as the worst Marvel related film let alone the level worthy of the drama queen hysterics. And - for those curious, I think they might have even removed it from any MCU connection.

Comment

A Scanner Darkly. Very close adaptation of the Philip K Dick novel. Keanu Reeves plays Bob Arctor, an undecover agent in a house of paranoid, drug-fried deadbeats ... so deep is his cover, and the effects of the mind-bending drug they're all taking, he finds himself investigating himself. The rotoscoped animation gives the whole thing a suitably detached appearance that still looks amazing. Support comes from Winona Ryder, Woody Harrelson and a show-stealing Robert Downey Jr on top form. I love the concept of this story but it's so depressing.

Comment

The Devil Wears Prada - first time watching this and found it incredibly jarring to be told in the first five minutes that Anne Hathaway is overweight. Feel like the work/life balance commentary hasn't aged brilliantly either. Still watchable, just... not really my thing.

Comment

Last night watch Moonfall on Film 4.

OMG how bad was that? It was like every cliche of the mediocre or downright bad apocalyptic sci-fi genre cobbled together in one witch's brew of a movie. Phoned in performances from the main stars Halle Berry and Patrick Wilson, an often excruciating script, a desperate comedy character who fell as flat as pancake, brattish children and youngsters, laughably bad science.........................the list goes on.

Do not watch this mess of a movie.

Comment

Under the Boardwalk
                          Animated film about sea snails living under a pier, to be honest it's fine enough entertainment for the kids.

Ghostbusters
                          Working through all the films with the kids has started with the original. The best they've focused on it and as good as always, this time with one line coming across more accidentally foreshadowing

Janine to Egon when discussing Gozer: "I've always been a psychic... I think you're gonna die"

Comment

Link to BBC BAFTA Film Awards 'In memoriam' section last night:-

Comment

Joy Ride
                              There's some decent moments in this but too often it tries to go full on and slips into a dated/unfunny mode making the overall film just kind of alright

Comment

Robocop
                                The 2014 version where it's still the case that the film is reasonable if you completely ignore that the original exists. The main trouble is easily that every decision to differentiate it from the original makes it a lesser film.

Comment

Working...
                                X