This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The War Game (1966)

Obviously a little dated now, and perhaps not as graphic as Threads (1984), but still no less disturbing at showing the futility of "Home Defence" in a nuclear attack.

Basically, we'd be completely forked.

Comment

Night Swim (2024). Blumhouse spooky swimming pool affair. Actually quite serviceable, nothing in the way of unbelievable motives or stupidity defying actions. Few creepy moments and a decent cast. 3/5 skulls.

Comment

Migration
        You might have seen the trailers and expected something fairly generic
        You'd be right

Night Swim
        Passable, felt like it purposely held itself back in several areas for the sake of sequelisation

Comment

Wasn't aware of Blue Giant before the weekly update from the local cinema went out, but I read that it was an anime film about jazz which was pretty much all I needed to book. I left delighted with my decision. If your mind's gone to Whiplash, take a lot of steps back - rather than obsession to the point of oblivion, this is driven by passion instead, with youthful, unflappable optimism steering a pretty simple narrative, with bumps in the road by way of fairly cliched plot beats, and yet it still totally charmed me. Thought at first it was struggling a bit knowing what to do with itself visually during the performances, but as these ramp up it just gets better and better before just totally transcending by the end. I find it really endearing (and interesting!) to hear people talk about and share their passion for a subject they really love, and this movie absolutely captures that spirit. Really strong recommendation on this from me.

Comment

Tremors 2. Pap

Millennium Actress. Great

Comment

RoboCop 2
              I always remembered how the sequel isn't as good as the first but bar one or two moments I'd forgotten just how much it's the worse of the two.

Comment

Finally saw Seth Rogans movie take on my fave childhood tv show Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhemover the weekend. it was a visual treat, the animation and music are spot on, the characters were pretty great for the most part too. It did feel a bit overly predictable and a bit too neat and wrapped up by the end. But i really enjoyed it despite this.

They kind of messed with the formula and origins of a lot of characters though, All the mutants in this are animal first, including splinter, bebop and rocksteady. And the only real bad-bad guy in this is Superfly a mutant human fly hybrid created by Baxter Stockman but not Baxter Stockman. April is a bit of a weird casting and dare I say it a bit pandering, making her a teenage outcast dose link her better into the turtles story and give her a common ground with them but not sure why they didn't just make her a new character instead of the current trend to make existing characters black to tick boxes.

Bar the usual end credit nod to other Villains it feels very standalone and that they have set themselves up for a bit of a tricky situation, as the turtles are fully out in the world and accepted by the humans and attending school, which is kind of at odds with their vigilante shadow justice that their normally associated with, they also are living with Bebop and Rocksteady and all the other mutants in the sewer as best buddies which feels bizarre

Last edited by Lebowski; 06-02-2024, 12:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                  RoboCop 2
                  I always remembered how the sequel isn't as good as the first but bar one or two moments I'd forgotten just how much it's the worse of the two.
                  Haha, when you watch 3, 2 isn't so bad

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    Tremors 2. Pap

Millennium Actress. Great
                    I love Millennium Actress. I saw Tokyo Godfathers for the first time in December, at the cinema. That's such a lovely film too, and I might like it even more. It's going to become a regular Christmas watch for me.

Comment

I shall watch out for TG ^^ 👍

Comment

He lives!

Hope you're all well.

Sorry, a combination of me wanting to pass my probation on my new job, plus me breaking my login to the new forum by trying to turn on "At Work Mode", which isn't compatible (trust me, don't try it!) meant I've been away for a while.

Here are the films I watched in December (after Godzilla: Minus One) and January.
                        I caned a bunch of Jackie Chan films for Chanuary. Seeing the original Police Story and Armour of God still makes me giddy with excitement.
                        Ticked off a couple of Bucket List Poster films too. Never seen Casablanca.
                        2001 and revisiting the Lord of the Rings films has been a joy.

So, this isn't some kind of afternoon's films like Neon, but over a month of activity!

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers 2002 (Bucket List Poster)
                        One More Shot 2024
                        New Police Story 2004 (Chanuary)
                        Police Story: Lockdown 2013 (Chanuary)
                        Police Story 2 1988 (Chanuary)
                        Police Story 1985 (Chanuary)
                        Island of Fire 1990 (Chanuary)
                        2001: A Space Odyssey 1968 (Bucket List Poster)
                        The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring 2001(Bucket List Poster)
                        The Ipcress File 1965
                        The Martian 2015
                        Armour of God 1986 (Chanuary)
                        Project A: Part II 1987 (Chanuary)
                        Dragons Forever 1988 (Chanuary)
                        Project A 1983 (Chanuary)
                        Polite Society 2023
                        The Forbidden Kingdom 2008 (Chanuary)
                        Jackie Chan: My Story 1998 (Chanuary)
                        Little Big Soldier 2010 (Chanuary)
                        Dragon Lord 1982 (Chanuary)
                        Saltburn 2023
                        Babe 1995
                        The Wrong Trousers 1993
                        The Map of Tiny Perfect Things 2021
                        Anna and the Apocalypse 2017
                        Ghostbusters 1984(Bucket List Poster)
                        Casablanca 1942(Bucket List Poster)
                        Turning Red 2022
                        Elemental 2023
                        Gremlins 1984
                        John Wick: Chapter 4 2023
                        Chicken Run 2000

Comment

A appreciate your return

and also the headstart on scoring points in the MCD contest

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                            A appreciate your return

and also the headstart on scoring points in the MCD contest
                            Cheers mate.
                            What' the MCD contest?!

Comment

That's a lot of films! Good work!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post

Cheers mate.
                                What' the MCD contest?!
                                MCD 2024: Box Office Bingo III - Bordersdown (NTSC-uk)
                                This years box office guessing game

Comment

Working...
                                X