No announcement yet.

New and current FS anime Topic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm on a bit of an old school anime run at the moment, wanted some sci-fi but most of the recent stuff is atrocious (Sora wo Kakeru Shojo for example).
    I decided to finally start watching 'Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket' and its fantastic, completely blows all the other gundams out of the water. Never seen any of these older Gundam shows before, the first series I saw was Wing. Can anyone recommend any of the other older Gundam series?

I also went back to Legend of Galactic Heroes, still as great as ever

Comment

The original series and Char's counterattack are well regarded.

Also worth checking out the original Macross, especially Do You Remember Love if you can't stomach the low budget, heavily aged TV series (DYRL covers the events of the TV series).

Other series worth checking out : Martian Successor Nadesico (it's a comedy but it's great, avoid the movie at all costs, it'll spoil the memory of the series), Crest of the stars and its various sequels.

Comment

Crest of the stars - forgot about that one, has to be one of my favourites!

I did try to find a decent sub of the original series but all I can find are the dubs

Also worth checking out the original Macross, especially Do You Remember Love if you can't stomach the low budget, heavily aged TV series (DYRL covers the events of the TV series).

Other series worth checking out : Martian Successor Nadesico (it's a comedy but it's great, avoid the movie at all costs, it'll spoil the memory of the series), Crest of the stars and its various sequels.
        Seen them

Comment

Orguss 02? That's an underrated one.

You could also check out Starship operators. It's fairly flawed but the concept of space battles playing out like naval battles is interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
            Orguss 02? That's an underrated one.

You could also check out Starship operators. It's fairly flawed but the concept of space battles playing out like naval battles is interesting.
            Orguss 02 - Good god that's another one I havent seen in years.

I'll have a look for that Starship operators, thanks.

Comment

Planetes is one I always recommend when it comes to scifi stuff. Although you may have already seen it.

Comment

i would second Starship Operators, it is pretty much navel warfare between submarines. Story is complete crap but it strings together the scuffles where tactical knowledge and some nifty skills help them overcome some nasty odds.

Hmm old sci-fi stuff....

Stellvia of the Universe - i missed it when it air but went back and found it after recommendations. Kid goes to space, has bit of latent talent for space flight and has to really work hard to make it in the space station's cadet training course.

Comment

Originally posted by Orgun View Post
                  Crest of the stars - forgot about that one, has to be one of my favourites!

I did try to find a decent sub of the original series but all I can find are the dubs
                  There's subs around.
                  Link You can also buy the boxset of the first series over here but the subs are pretty ****ing poor. Grammar errors and spelling mistakes ahoy. Also, there's a directors cut version of Banner 3 which makes it slightly better than the original release.

Maybe give Heroic Age a try? Story's a bit simple and the designs are cut and paste from Gundam SEED but for some reason I ****ing love it. I think it's possibly down to the main love interest having zero drama from jealous rivals and such. Plus I like the story despite it's flaws. You'll either love it or find it dull I guess.

Your list also says you've not seen Gunbuster/Diebuster. Get that sorted. Only other thing is perhaps Voices of a Distant Star. By the 5cm creator so it's more a romance theme with a sci-fi elment added on top but it's quite good if short.

Comment

Oh yeah, if you haven't seen Gunbuster and Diebuster, watch those. Must watches.

Comment

Definitely. Thirded. Diebuster in particular has some jawdroppingly epic moments and a scene near the end will mean a little more to you if you've seen Gunbuster beforehand.

Comment

Planetes - seen, excellent show. Loved the realistic take. I was also really enjoying Moonlight Mile but no one seems to have subbed Series 2 past the first episode.

Stellvia of the Universe - another fantastic series, watched the whole series about 4 times heh.

Heroic Age - another one i've seen and I agree with you about it. Liked it.

I might have seen Gunbuster before I started using MALupdater, ah well I can always watch it again and I know I havent seen Diebuster.

Here's a link to my page on My Anime List so you guys can see if i'm missing anything decent http://myanimelist.net/animelist/OrgunUK

edit:
                        There's subs around.
                        Link You can also buy the boxset of the first series over here but the subs are pretty ****ing poor. Grammar errors and spelling mistakes ahoy. Also, there's a directors cut version of Banner 3 which makes it slightly better than the original release.
                        My bad, I've seen Crest of the Stars subbed, I meant it's the original Gundam i'm having trouble finding subs for. The 70's/80's dubs are hooooorrrible
                        Last edited by Orgun; 27-05-2009, 22:13.

Comment

hmm looking through my list, the only scifi-ish shows that i can think of thats not already on your list or hasnt already been mentions is Shoukou no Strain. I cant remember much of it but i remember it being fairly decent, its atleast worth watching for the first couple of episodes as

everyone dies

Funny you should mention the original gundams too. Been playing through DW: Gundam 2 the past couple of days, its finally got me to go hunt down all the gundam series i havnt seen yet. Wich is pretty much everything pre G Gundam, which is alot of gundam.

Comment

I only got through about half of Soukou no Strain myself. Wasn't particularly keen but I do remember it being fairly brutal to the main character.

In an Adachi-fest mode I ploughed through Rough. I'd say it's less complete than Cross Game but still very enjoyable. I'm of two minds about the end;

My first reaction was one of disbelief that he ended it there but now I can kinda of see why he did. Would probably have preferred another 5 chapters just to have given a bit of an epilogue.

Of two minds whether to try Touch. Not entirely sold by the synopsis. Obvious triangles like that I really dislike. Alost as much as interfering yet cowardly childhood friends.

Edit: Also, the Guin Saga writer has died of cancer. Only 56.
                            Last edited by Mr.Jeff; 27-05-2009, 22:51.

Comment

Thats a pretty damn big list of "watching", though i've not updated for this season cos im lazy and half the stuff listed i've finished watching . http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Tobal_uk

I would say make it a priority to see Gunbuster/Diebuster in that order.

I'd put 2nd vote in for Soukou no Strain, has a bit of Stellvia to it but with a "NOBODYS SAFE" for the main characters and as said the main girl gets a pretty rough physically and mentally, body count starts to rack up at the end.

Not exactly full on sci-fi but it gotten pretty old now and is one my all time favs... watch Figure 17, a weird combination of slice of life meets Monster of Week Sentai show. Short to with 13eps but the shows are bit longer than the normal 25 mins. http://myanimelist.net/anime/1126/Figure_17

Comment

You're missing a lot of Ghibli on that list.

My neighbour Totoro, Porco Rosso, Whisper of the Heart, Laputa Castle in the sky, Lupin III Castle of Cagliostro and grave of the fireflies (warning, that's not an easy watch) are the best ones.

You're also missing the Patlabor movies for some politically charged mecha and Bubblegum Crisis and Bubblegum Crisis 2040

And finish watching Denno Coil!

Comment

Working...
                                X