Official F1/Motorsport thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep we think alike Al.

Read about Montoya's debut on the BBC website earlier, I'm no big fan of JPM tbh, can't see him doing that well this year. Top six overall is my expectation.

36th to 19th I think is pretty good for Nascar, am sure "back of the grid to podium" in Nascar is virtually never heard of. I could be wrong of course.

Nice write up btw On The Edge of Insanity.

Comment

Who knows David, I tried to watch a NASCAR race once but changed channel because I was so bored!!

JV has been having his say in F1 Racing mag about all the drivers. This quote caught my eye:

He’s fast, strong, and nothing disturbs him, but he’ll have to be in a position to take a shot at the championship if we’re to see if he’s as good as Alonso.

That’s highly probable, because he’s at least as good as Kimi.
      Guess who he's talking about? Of course it's Button, at least as good as Kimi, I'm unsure.

More here at the snazzy new ITV F1 site.

Comment

JB is smooth but lack the final 10% that you need to be champion. He tends to start well but then falls back into the midfield. He seems to be the opposite of Fernando or Kimi who always seem to pull themselves up the grid. Fernando is particularly good at this.

IMO, he won't ever be champ unless those two have a nightmare season and Honda make a blinder of car. He may prove me wrong of course and I have been wrong before so who knows........
        Last edited by Richard.John; 19-02-2007, 23:48.

Comment

I did learn a couple of things from watching the 500,

1) the american commentators are hicks
          2) there's no point tuning in until the last 40-50 laps as the cautions pretty much guarantee a staged finish, so anyone on the lead lap is basically only five seconds off the lead at the restart

Just to note that Montoya would have been further up had he not had problems on his pit stop on the second to last caution, he got off the lead lap which screwed him up for the end stretch.

Comment

I was suprised to see David Coulthard on Al Murray's the pub land lord show the other day.

It was funny indeed, as Al was taking the mickey on how theres no over-taking and DC trying to make up all the excuses in the book

When Al said to DC 'did you want a top up?'. DC ofcourse said 'yeah'. Then the next thing a whole pit crew comes and top his drink plus make him look tidy

Comment

LOL, sounds like he walked straight into that.

Comment

Think we have the full driver line-up now, torro rosso have speed again.

looking at reports, seems BMW could be a suprise challenger

Comment

IMO, the BMW would have to have a significant advantage over the rest in order for them to have a serious crack at the titles. Neither driver has one a race nor seriously challenged for the crown so I can't see them prevailing over Nando or Kimi/Massa throughout the entire season.

It would be good for F1 though, to see new team at the front.

Comment

The Honda livery,

Interesting to say the least

Comment

Thanks for the heads up.

Oh my god, that can't be the livery for the year surely

Main website sponsor launches 27th Feb, http://www.myearthdream.com/
                      Last edited by Alastair; 26-02-2007, 09:17. Reason: Added another picture

Comment

I think so, saw Button doing interview on Sky News earlier (can only see TV at work, can't hear it) and saw pic of the car, amazing how front wing looks mangled when painted in that design.

Comment

Yep, it is official

The image on that page gives me visions of Michael Jackson for some reason!!

I can't believe it still, where are the sponsors logos going to go? Also, through that site you can (maybe pay and) get your name on the car (as an individual pixel that needs a microscope to see). Sounds interesting.

EDIT - now I've seen the car from the back I guess a lot of the sponsors logos will be in the space section of the car. I don't like it at the moment, will have to see it on track to make my mind up.
                          Last edited by Alastair; 26-02-2007, 09:13.

Comment

To be fair, you have to admit that Honda have balls to offer something new, or is the real reason because they couldn't find any sponsors? I say that in jest of course as F1 is excellent value for money any sponsor.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard.John View Post
                              ...or is the real reason because they couldn't find any sponsors? ...
                              I think this is pretty much the main issue for Honda, they don't seem to have a title sponsor at all, maybe they don't want one though?!

Comment

I don't support the drivers but have always had a soft spot for Honda due to the Mclaren/Williams link so I actually feel quite positive about this. Assuming that their intentions are honourable, it makes the other teams with their traditional sponsors seem outdated. Let's see how they feel in a year from now though once the press has moved on to something else more newsworthy.

Comment

Working...
                                X