Official F1/Motorsport thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else remember this?

Or even this if you watched the Japanese GP during the 90s.

Goosebumps a plenty. All we need now is The Chain go with the grid theme.

Comment

Mclaren are still propping up the time sheets - I wouldn't normally read too much into it, but bringing in a newly designed floor at this stage of pre-season appears a bit drastic. Be interesting to see how they get on over the next couple of days.

I think there is only 6 days of testing left for the teams.

Good to see BrawnGP right in the mix - It looks like the car might have genuine pace from the get go.

Comment

This clip is getting some attention and whipping journos into a frenzy. James Allen is suggesting that Macca are having grip troubles, whilst Ferrari clearly are not. Of course we don't know if it was a KERS start by Kimi or Heikki was half asleep at the lights, but still rather curious. Sandbagging and mind games by the boys from Woking?

Last edited by Richard.John; 12-03-2009, 00:36.

Comment

I find it hard to believe either team would agree to a side-by-side preseason drag race and giveaway their true performance like that. We don't even know what set-up those cars were running. Hell tyres or differing fuel-loads alone could account for that kind of gap. I mean I've overtaken an Aston Martin in my piece of **** company Audi but it doesn't mean I had a faster car.

Saying that however it would be nice if McLaren were really that far off the pace.

Comment

'Twas probably the KERS effect. If so, those running without it in Melbourne are dooooooomed at the start.

Comment

Perhaps, I saw a Reno KERS demonstration recently and the difference between the KERS car and the KERS-less car was substantial. That Ferrari appears to just get a sudden burst of acceleration once it slips into second though (0:14) which is something I didn't notice on Reno's KERS car.

The more I watch that video the more I think the McLaren driver just wasn't really going for it.

Comment

Button topped the time sheets yesterday 2.5 secs quicker than Hamilton who propped up the time sheets, and this with his newly designed floor.

I guess Mclaren are sandbagging, but it seems odd practice with the lack of testing on offer this season.

Comment

Originally posted by SS004 View Post
                  Button topped the time sheets yesterday 2.5 secs quicker than Hamilton who propped up the time sheets, and this with his newly designed floor.

I guess Mclaren are sandbagging, but it seems odd practice with the lack of testing on offer this season.
                  The Brawn (god, that sounds stupid) looks to have some good pace. Really pleased about that. Honda will be kicking themselves if this turns into genuine pace in the season.

Comment

Alan Henry over at Autocar, seems to think we shouldn't write off McLaren because of their apparent poor showing. I agree to some extent, but they are known for producing winners one year and dogs the next. The only team that you could reliably bet your house on, to do well is Ferrari as they have proved this over the last decade. The stats (off the top of my head) for Ferrari vs Mclaren since 2000

Ferrari WDC 6
                    Ferrari WCC 7

Mclaren WDC 1
                    Mclaren WCC 0

EDIT:It seems that RB has done a sub 1:18s at Jerez during testing. If that is the true qualy performance of the BGP car, i.e. not under weight, then they could be on the front row in a couple of weeks time.

I think it's as true in 2009 as it has ever been; if you build a fundamentally good car, it will fly. Maybe BGP have discovered the secret sauce needed...
                    Last edited by Richard.John; 13-03-2009, 05:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard.John View Post
                      EDIT:It seems that RB has done a sub 1:18s at Jerez during testing. If that is the true qualy performance of the BGP car, i.e. not under weight, then they could be on the front row in a couple of weeks time.

I think it's as true in 2009 as it has ever been; if you build a fundamentally good car, it will fly. Maybe BGP have discovered the secret sauce needed...
                      Yeah, if the car is quick this season, which looks to be the case, it's got to be one of the biggest turnarounds in F1 ever. the Honda was terrible for 2 seasons, especially in '07 when both Rubens and Jenson said it was practically undriveable.

To get it so fundamentally wrong and then make a great car (I really hope this is the case), would be an amazing achievement. Doubly so with the uncertain winter they've had, and the lack of testing.

Can't wait for Melbourne

Comment

Can they ever deliver on the hype now though? I'm trying so hard not to get my hopes up too high as I don't want to be disappointed when they DNF or finish 15th & 17th but I'm not really managing. I've always wanted Button and Honda to deliver on the promise they have occasionally shown and I really want this year to be the year where they turn things around.

Comment

Autosport now says that Whitmarsh is admitting that the new car isn't as fast as they would like. I thought Haug was denying such a few days ago. If Merc denies it, it must be true...LOL
                          Last edited by Richard.John; 13-03-2009, 11:34.

Comment

Something is def fundamentally wrong with the McL's. It's not the engine though as Brawn are proving.

I'll be surprised if Hamilton finishes outside the top 6 though. If he does then there really is something properly wrong at McL.

Comment

What raised my eyebrows was changing the floor at this late stage - That isn't normal.

I also wonder if the input is good enough from the drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by SS004 View Post
                                I also wonder if the input is good enough from the drivers.
                                I feel they are both too young and inexperienced to be car developers. That was a big skill they lost when they let Alonso go early. I would give 50% of the credit to Alonso for Lewis' winning car of last year, that must have been a bitter pill for 'Nando to swallow!

Comment

Working...
                                X