Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I lay off it for a while for the first two days when I start again I have some cracking farts.

Comment

Hmm, my shoulders are still restricting me on weighs... Could do naff all for shoulders - couldn't even do 5kg bent over raises! Had a fairly decent bi's workout, but againg, my tri's were hampered. Did push up to 52.5kg close grip bench press though

Few half-hearted sets off abs, and I was off for a nice relaxing walk by the river to unwind.

Comment

My belly is not a happy chap this morning.

I have been out drinking every night this week since Sunday and I'd be buggered if I'm going out again tonight - no money for starters.

This coming Sunday morning, I'm going to run 10 miles as I have planned out a route earlier on.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm View Post
          ..... Can this actually be a hindrance to long-distance running?
          Its just the extra muscle for power that you need in shorter stuff is totally unnecessary to long distance running even when you look at 10k which is a much shorter distance the better runners have unmuscular legs they look like two pencils but they don't half work well.

I tried to do short tempo run last night 15min warn up, 3.1 mile sprint followed by 15 min warm down, sprint went well 1st mile 5.50 2nd mile 6.00 3rd mile 6.15 for last mile. Slowed more than would have liked but still ok. Have a relay race in Brum coming up soon hoping for under 18min so some work to do yet.

Comment

As long as it isn't some kind of hindrance I'm fine with that!

Comment

You need to monitor your intake. If you are intaking too much it can cause kidney damage.

Edit: though that's excessive amounts. I'm presuming you're not consuming like 300g of protein shakes per day!
              300g per day is about right I've gone as high as 500g+, I once had a single shake of 100g+ of l-glutamine just to see if it was true it gives you a killer pump.

Saying too much protein is bad for the kidney is one of those old doctor tales, from the NHS 1960 handbook. There's a limit to how much the stomach can digest, at that point you can get a little bit farty Ok quite a lot!

Good advice is to get two brands, totally different, and cycle them every other day. That may ease any gut ache.

As I say, I reckon 300g is about right for a 180-200lb person trying to gain muscle. Maybe going as high as 2g per lb of bodyweight if you were really going for it, with 3g per pound of carbs.

Originally posted by Spagoli View Post
              I agree I love all encouraging posts about benching ridiculous amounts that goes on here, dont tell me the cardio boys have the lifters on the ropes!
              I'm sure I'll get back in to it. I'm still lifting, I just lack all my intensity and focus. Used to love going to the gym after work; now it IS work, I've lost the escapist element of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chain View Post
                There's a limit to how much the stomach can digest, at that point you can get a little bit farty Ok quite a lot!
                I guess the runners protein is for a diff purpose but when I take it usually got about 70g per drink, if I dont take it for some time when I start back I usually get stomach ache for the first couple of times, reckon its becasue I'm a veggie and my gut just doesnt know whats hit it

Comment

Well some experts reckon you can only digest 30-35g per serving, but that's a guesstimate and I also reckon it's bollocks. All the biggest guys around eat huge quantities and it's clearly working for them. There's lots of anecdotal evidence of even highly trained athletes showing a big improvement when they move from say 200g to 300g a day.

What may be best, is a mix of protein - blend it yourself it's cheaper. Do say 35g of whey, and 35g of micellar casein. Fast and slow digesting proteins. I think 70g of whey each time, except after training, may be a waste, but a mix (exactly 50-50) should be digestable any time throughout the day.

Have 4 of those a day and see yourself grow

Comment

Interesting. I have quite a high protein diet anyway (i.e. lots of meat, beans, cereals, other stuff) but at the moment I'm getting around 55g per day in whey protein shakes. I'm going to the gym every other day. If I doubled that with micellar casein how much do you reckon I'd improve? I'm only about 70kg. My upper body's still quite small though I am improving all the time...

And how much does micellar casein cost?

Edit: I'm also going running tomorrow, going to attempt 5 miles. I should carbo load tonight, right? But how much is the right amount? Can you use the same kind of protein weight/gram formula for carbohydrate? Is eating a couple of hundred grams' worth of rice going to see me through?
                    Last edited by Paradigm; 05-05-2007, 11:14.

Comment

...I'm also going running tomorrow, going to attempt 5 miles. I should carbo load tonight, right? But how much is the right amount? Can you use the same kind of protein weight/gram formula for carbohydrate? Is eating a couple of hundred grams' worth of rice going to see me through?
                      I wouldn't bother with carb loading not for the benefit of the run. My understand of it is that the body stores carbs for burning for energy as glycogen which can be broken down quickly for fuel for your muscles. The more glycogen you can pack into yourself the more you have to burn over longer distances. Most people can pack in 18-20 miles before they run out and then "hit the wall" thats why taking in carbs on the way round should stop you running out. Training helps your body become more efficient at burning glycogen so you can last longer and so it takes longer to get to hypoglycemic fatigue. Lots of people will do their last long run a week or so before a long race, deplete all the stores of carbs, load up on protein for 3 days, then exercise hard again and deplete the last stores of carbs then carb load, the body then grabs all the carbs it can and stores them. From recollection the verdict is out if this is now the best thing to do and many people just up the carbs for 3 days which is what I do, just because its easier.

For a 10k you will be fine though, just take a bit of water on the way round and that should be more than enough. IMHO dont do anything different to what you would normally in training and nothing unexpected should happen. Good luck, what time you aiming for?

Comment

Not really aiming for a time, just want to do it. That's really helpful advice, glad to know that I should have plenty anyway, it's just my body getting more efficient at burning it!

I probably don't run very quickly, maybe 10 minutes per mile? Maybe even slower than that. I'm just trying not to run before I walk, so to speak - I'll concentrate on doing faster times once I know I can start to run decent distances.

Re: taking in carbs when doing a marathon/similar. Is that why it's best to perhaps have something like Lucozade Sport rather than just water?

Comment

www.mapmyrun.com

Just found that site been making run routes all day at work, well in the mood for another run when i get home from work now!

Comment

Just been down the gym. Pretty good session and feel quite pumped out now (protein is being drunk as I type!).

Lost 1.5kg in the last two weeks. At that rate I should drop under 90kg in about 3 weeks time and that makes me most happy

Comment

Re: taking in carbs when doing a marathon/similar. Is that why it's best to perhaps have something like Lucozade Sport rather than just water?
                              Thats one of the reasons. One of my friends took place in the original scientific tests into sports drinks years ago when she was a student at Loughborough Uni. They took very fit people monitored their exercise and diet for a month then tested them to destruction! put them on a treadmill with a mask to monitor the oxygen levels they put out and a thermometer up her bum to monitor internal temerature then she had to run at a constant pace for an hour then it was turned up till she was at her threshold then to see how long she could hold on, she was given drink A every 15mins. Then she spent another month with exactly the same diet and exercise and repeated the exercise again this time with drink B. Drinkl A and B being either sports drink or water. She got 16% improvement with sports drink over water.

Sports drinks dont dilute your salts either, they replace them so can have benefit in preventing cramps. I saw more people than you would expect at the marathon this year getting cramp and thats probably why they were taking in too much water.

Sports drinks are also better as the taste doesnt quench your thirst so you will drink more than if you were just drinking water.

You can make your own (if you can be bothered) theres a good link at http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/low/hea...ss/4289704.stm I did it once then just went to the shop the next time!

Comment

Cool.

Was disappointed this morning. Woke up with sniffles yesterday morning and now have a bit of a cold. Went running anyway, managed 2 miles but just felt completely out of my comfort zone (was also majority uphill) and couldn't concentrate on my breathing. I'll give it maybe 3 days and see if I can do a comfortable 3/4 mile run on Wednesday, may give it a go again next w/e!

Comment

Working...
                                X