This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cavalcade View Post
    You're faster than me (my 10k was about 43 minutes before I ran the marathon), and I was on track for a comfortable 3.30 finish until a bastard Frenchman pushed me over at a watering station at 30km.
    That's good to know.

Amazing the difference between off and on road. I've just been out for a medium pace road 10k (6.1miles) and went round in 41:00 (6:40min/mi, 9mph). Kept my HR around 165bpm (av was 165, last 3 minutes boosted to ~175), so it felt quite sedate (I race at 170-175). My HRM kept telling me to slow down (172 alert), so I had to mentally fight myself to go slower - it was such a beautiful day.

I concentrated on form - I'm still finding my flow in these new trainers - I'm finding I can use an extended stride without injury, but I'm only extending it very slightly and slowly over time. Recovery was fast. 120bpm after 1 minute.

I'm going to be so fit by the end of this.

Comment

How's the training coming along, Charles?

I've sucessfully managed to switch my running gait from heel striker to forefoot/midfoot. I've been plagued by a knee injury for the last 6 months and I can now run pain free. I feel lighter on my feet as well so all's good in das hood.

Comment

Yikes must have been hard to learn how to run again!

I had a Cross training week.... Snowboarding in France. I seem to have pulled a muscle in my right calf which I'm a bit scared about. It's really painful - although oddly it didn't hurt at all on the slopes. I'm wondering if it was the iceskating I did yesterday before getting on the plane.

I'll go for a mile jog today to see what I'm dealing with. I had scheduled an 11 mile in for today

Comment

As I should have guessed, the mile turned into the full 11 miles.

11miles 1:23:21
          Av 7.9mph 7:34min/mi.
          Av 156bpm Max 166bpm
          1247kcal

Kept my HR low so that I would not be running too fast, but somehow that didn't seem to work.... Weird. Perhaps the 6 hours and 3000kcal snowboarding I've been doing for 6 days last week helped with my fitness, although the drinking each night didn't help for sure.

However, by the end I felt dead. No breakfast and dehydrated from a the day's travel yesterday. Had to get the energy milkshake in straight away.

Anyway, overall, very pleased considering no running for over a week.

Comment

Six hours a day for six days sounds painful!

Completed a 25k off-shore row yesterday in horrific conditions. We battled the waves, wind and tide for two hours ten minutes straight. Great start to the weekend but I'm pretty beaten up now
            Good training though. Our first race is 4th Feb but that's a somewhat easier 3.5k. Looking forward to it.

Comment

25k with your arms.... hardcore.

Comment

Sliding seat so full body workout, not just arms. Most of the power is from the legs

Here is a video of our womens team in the same area

25k of that

Comment

12 miles today, in the rain and bloody hills in the south downs. I'm not used to hills. I was probably pushing it a little hard.
                  1:28, so a decent time. Reckon 1:30 for a half marathon is easily obtainable. I stopped for a minute half way too.
                  7:23min/mi (8.1mph)
                  1420kcal

Av 168bpm Max 180 (up the half a mile long hill to the finish).
                  HR dropped to 133bpm after 1 minute of finishing and 123bpm after 2 mins, so good recovery, but all the hills felt very tough.

Comment

I'll never get my head round you runners. You're all mad Full respect for anyone who can do that. I've added some treadmill to my cardio, but I'm literally dead on my feet doing 1.5miles at 6mph, 0.5 incline. I nearly pass out through the effort of keeping going. So respect to you marathon sorts.

Decided after Xmas to get a little more into it and stop just trying to get back to heavy weights. I was bulking up but that wasn't my intention. So I've set myself a target weight of 182lbs. I started out at 212 and 4 weeks later I'm at 203.6, so that's pretty much on target so far. And finally tried to do some curls today - I damaged the bicep / tendon tie-in on the inside of the right arm through overstretching a couple of months back and haven't curled since. I'm only doing about 85% motion, it's ok as long as a weight isn't pulling directly down.

And to give me some motivation I took advantage of some generous voucher codes and ordered this lot:

I've a kilo of my old "favourite" SciVation Xtend turning up tomorrow as well. I'm wondering if they ever improved the taste....

Comment

How long do you reckon it should take you to reach that target? Is this a slow burn or a sprint?

Comment

Decided to do some speed work today. No HRM, no GPS. Just run out of the door around a known loop and peg it as fast as possible, taking the first and last 30 seconds really easy as a token warm up/down. I have a couple of rest days to recover!

3.4miles. 22:05.
                        So that's 9.24mph, 6:29min/mi
                        I am speed.
                        Reckon I can get that down to 6min/mi easy.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                          How long do you reckon it should take you to reach that target? Is this a slow burn or a sprint?
                          Oh this is me - I have no patience End of March is my target. Mathematically it's doable, but there will likely be issues with metabolism and calorie intake in that period. I should by cycling calories more but I won't "respond" how I used to, so I've got to kind of wing it. I'm only checking my weight once a week, which means slow downs may occur back it's not healthy to do it daily.

We'll see how it goes I have the target, for the first time in years my head is in the right place to actually do it [and stick with it], so we'll see.

Comment

Coolo. Go for it.

Comment

Doing a 14mile run this afternoon. Chilly!

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ View Post
                                Our first race is 4th Feb but that's a somewhat easier 3.5k. Looking forward to it.
                                Awful conditions yesterday and I spent most of the day waiting around in the cold, driving rain for our race to start... but walked away with a gold medal so it was worth it

Comment

Working...
                                X