X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yesteryeargames View Post
    any reccomendations for whey protien
    i tried Precision Engineered - Whey Protein from holland barret it wasnt too nice, but cheap .

Any decent ones i can try to add to my diet to help with weight loss buring fat and build muscle

i also would like to try an app to track the calories intake and what i burn off, any reccomended there seems to be too many to choose.

thanks guys
    PHD vanilla diet whey

and

My Fitness Pal
    Reach your health, fitness & weight goals with MyFitnessPal, the #1 nutrition tracking app. Macro & calorie calculator, food tracker, and fasting app in one. Download today!

(Also has a IOS, android and BB (phone) app)

my missus swears by them both

Comment

thanks started using that app its good to record everything . according to it on my current diet i eat 1300 and burn off 700 per day just by going to the gym,

yet i am still gaining weight since i started , i used to eat just 1 meal a day but decided to eat 3 healthy smaller meals instead , and ive gained about 3 pounds in a week,

i am in the gym 6 times a week i do at least an hour of cardio and i mix in a few sets of weights according to the machines i burn about 700 calories. Just dont get why im not geting any good results since spreading out what i eat, and actually having breakfast and lunch , dinner and small snack late on.

Is this a normal reaction from swithcing from a 1 meal to normal eating, when /IF will i see results doing it this way , feel like aboring it and going back to starving on 1 meal , or trying atkins

I will post my results on that myfitness site see is they can help,
      Last edited by yesteryeargames; 08-10-2012, 11:16.

Comment

atkins is daft. It relies on the fact that high protein meals inhibit hunger so you don't each much, but it sets your bowels up for all sorts of evil.

Is there anything you have forgotten to put into the diet app, e.g. alcohol?
        What's your body fat (they should have a fat scale at the gym)? Is it going down and your weight going up? If so then you are gaining muscle which is heavier than fat, so.... win!

Comment

In the last 4 weeks I've almost halved my body fat from 11.5 to 6.5%. Extreme. Need to keep en eye on that. Weight has stayed almost flat though 10:13 down to 10:12, so all muscle growth. In my legs - it's visible.

Comment

thanks started using that app its good to record everything . according to it on my current diet i eat 1300 and burn off 700 per day just by going to the gym,

yet i am still gaining weight since i started , i used to eat just 1 meal a day but decided to eat 3 healthy smaller meals instead , and ive gained about 3 pounds in a week,

i am in the gym 6 times a week i do at least an hour of cardio and i mix in a few sets of weights according to the machines i burn about 700 calories. Just dont get why im not geting any good results since spreading out what i eat, and actually having breakfast and lunch , dinner and small snack late on.

Is this a normal reaction from swithcing from a 1 meal to normal eating, when /IF will i see results doing it this way , feel like aboring it and going back to starving on 1 meal , or trying atkins

I will post my results on that myfitness site see is they can help,
            Be careful if you are just scanning barcodes to record a lot of people on there tend to cheat themselves, just so you know

Comment

I'm on 10% body fat at the mo according to my parents' high tech scales. Also says I have the lowest visceral fat on the chart along with a metabolic age of a 12 year old at 29!

Less than two weeks to race day now. I have three plans to get me to the finish in successive order:

Plan A - 3 x miles @ 8:30 miles, 3 x 8:15, 3x 8:00, 3 x 7:45 and then the final mile at a balls to wall speed (7 minutes or less), netting a 1:44 - 1:46 finish depending on the last mile.

Plan B - First 6 miles @ 8:30, second 6 miles @ 8:00 and then all out in the final mile, netting a 1:47 - 1:49 finish. This will go into action if I'm not feeling good until halfway but then perk up.

Plan C - 12 x miles @ 8:45 and then final mile at 7 minutes. This is reserved for if I'm not feeling good at all and will still net me a 1:52 finish.

What I think will happen will be somewhere between Plan A and B. I'd be happy with anything less than 1:50 and over the moon with a sub 1:45 finish.

Comment

^^ Coolo. Good to have a plan that gets faster.

I'm just back from a 17mile run (1813 calories!). It was damn dark when I set off so I had my head torch for the first lap. Once the sun came up it was a beautiful sunny morning.

Average heart rate 145. 2hr23m (8:30min/mile). NICE.

More importantly, I did the whole 17 miles in forefoot strike mode in my Adios 2s. I'm now using them for all my tough and long runs and using the normal trainers with heel strike mode for the recovery runs. The Adios are so ridiculously comfy. No blisters or any hint of foot soreness. 10/10
                Last edited by charlesr; 10-10-2012, 08:32.

Comment

I find negative splits are the safest bet for me. I have taken off far too quickly in races before and my performance in the second half has declined as a result. Many have said to just run even splits but I find going at the same speed all the way through to be quite numbing in terms of motivation.

Good training run, Charles. I'm still reserving my Flyknit Racers for just racing in, so I'll just have to enter more races!

Got a book for my birthday called Keep On Running by Phil Hewitt. It's about a guy that's done 25+ marathons as more of a fun runner and very easy to read. Highly recommend it!

Comment

I dont drink alchol at all ,

the only thing i have too much of in my diet is fizzy drinks, i have pepsi max i get through a 3-4 bottles a week, i know they are low calorie but it cant be good for me , i have decided to stop drinking it for a couple of weeks.

i only eat low fat foods such as qourn veggie range , no sugar in tea, low fat weightwatchers stuff, i really dont get why im not seeing good results, my total is about 1500 a day and i burn off at least 600 in the gym alone

Comment

How much do you weigh and how tall are you? And what sort of build?

Comment

I dont drink alchol at all ,

the only thing i have too much of in my diet is fizzy drinks, i have pepsi max i get through a 3-4 bottles a week, i know they are low calorie but it cant be good for me , i have decided to stop drinking it for a couple of weeks.

i only eat low fat foods such as qourn veggie range , no sugar in tea, low fat weightwatchers stuff, i really dont get why im not seeing good results, my total is about 1500 a day and i burn off at least 600 in the gym alone
                        I know why. As you are a bloke you are not eating enough calories and have put yourself in "starvation mode" doesn't really make much difference what you burn as your body is holding on to everything it can, in the end it will knacker your metabolism pretty much the se way it does to anorexia suffers, up your calorie intake to 1700-1800 Minimum and only eat up to the first 700 of any excercise calories, ideally 1/3 to 2/3 of your workout so if you burn 700 you should have a day eat of 2150ish, also only weigh in on a gym rest day as although a pound of muscle weighs exactly the same as a pound of fat (a pound) you retain water while your muscles are repairing

Comment

Scored a new Parkrun PB this morning of 21:47! BBC were also filming as part of their preparations for the Great Birmingham Run next weekend so I may appear on Midlands Today next Friday evening!

Comment

Blimey. Not heard of tapering!?

I'm doing a solo half marathon on Wednesday - flat out so I can start adjusting my marathon time goals.

Comment

Oh believe you me, im tapering but I felt I needed the race because my recent speed work hasn't been as good quality as I'd like. I'm now confident that I've done enough. Have a gentle 10k planned for tomorrow with a gentle 5k on Wednesday and then a very slow Parkrun on Saturday (9 minute miles). I need to do the day before because I always have nervous energy otherwise before a big race and it'll help with staying loose.

My only other problem now is staying healthy enough to compete where my other half has caught the mother of all colds!
                              Last edited by Taka; 14-10-2012, 20:21.

Comment

I hope your half marathon goes a bit better than mine.

I did one this morning as fast as I could, but I've had a cold for a few days and although I felt fine, I could tell something was up. On Sunday I did 3 miles in:
                                7:26min/mi and averaged 153bpm.
                                Today my first 3 miles were:
                                7:39min/mi and averaged 160bpm.
                                So today I was slower with a higher heart rate

The good news was that I paid attention to my heart rate and refused to let it go over 164 until 10 miles, at which point I nailed it, so my final 3 miles were pretty good even though my heart was popping out of my chest at 180+bpm
                                Mile 11: 6:49min/mi
                                Mile 12: 6:53min/mi
                                Mile 13: 6:30min/mi
                                The last 0.1 mile was 5:30min/mi
                                I have no idea how these crazy athletes do 5-min/mi the whole way

So boring stats out of the way - hopefully it was just due to the cold I had, and today's half marathon was the same speed I did the first half of the full marathon back in April, so you'd hope I was fitter by now.....

Comment

Working...
                                X