No announcement yet.

Motorbikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read somewhere that a woman who was trying to pass the module 1 test, broke her neck during the avoidance test, due to using the front brake mid swerve. Obviously not a good thing to do.

Comment

it's true. there is currently a government health and safety investigation into the 'swerve' element of the test.
      when it first came in the first two student to take the test broke a leg and a leg and an arm.
      MCN were all over it like a rash, but with good reason as they should be teaching cage drivers to 'see' bikes. just think how many ' sorry mate, I didnt see you' accidents could be avoided.
      Last edited by concretesnail; 10-08-2010, 12:31.

Comment

Also since the new test came into play, the number of people converting their learner licence into a full license has dropped dramatically, not really good for a motorcycle industry which thrives on bike sales etc.

Comment

I finally got round to taking my CBT last weekend and have to say I absolutely loved the experience of riding.
          Getting a full license is something that I'd definitely be interested in at some point, but for now I'm not sure whether it would be best to invest in a 125 for some practice before going the DA route.
          Even though the CBT is a prerequisite, it's still a bit of a joke.
          I had a chat with the instructor in a car park before getting to grips with the bike, all whilst he sat back smoking and drinking tea, and then he signed off the certificate before we even set out on the road, telling me "just make sure you don't crash into anything!"
          I fear for any 16 year olds who end up hooning about on their mopeds on the basis of this training alone. I undertsand, of course, that this is intended to simply teach you the basics of operating the machine, gear changes etc rather than road sense. You never really stop learning.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercian View Post
            You never really stop learning.
            I'd say it took me 2 years of riding to work every day to get to the point where I really knew what was going on around me and was able to predict what other vehicles were going to do.

Since, then I've read books (twist of the wrist series), magazines (Fast Bikes) and been on courses (Ron Haslem race school + others) to figure out how I can ride better.

I also regularly experiment with the brakes and the handling where safe to keep me in practice. There's no point just doing an emergency stop in your test and then when you really need it 10 years later, cocking it up because you don't know how hard you can hit the brakes on your new bike.

I've mentioned this before in this thread, but every time you go out if the temperature has changed, you can get a feel for how much grip there is by dabbing the back brake until it locks up (let it off straight away). On cold days it won't take much...

Comment

Failed Mod 2 test today
              After about 15 minutes while waiting at a junction an old steam engine type vehicle was approaching. I was stopped but saw this as a good opportunity to go as the other vehicle was moving so slowly, but regretfully I wasnt in 1st gear - I stuttered forward and stalled in the road, causing the other vehicle had to slow down, at this point I knew I was going to fail the test. I managed to compose myself and carry on, felt quite p'd off but wanted to see how well I could do with the rest of the test. When I got back to the test centre the examiner who seemed like a top bloke, informed me that I hadnt passed, but that this was due to the fault where I had stalled in the road, apart from that I would have passed. Had 7 other minor faults, but the examiner seemed quite impressed that I had been able to pull myself back together and complete the ride in the way that I had.
              I feel a bit down about this, but have booked another mod 2 test for 3 weeks time, also booked a 125 on the sunday before the test to get some more road experience and hopefully I will pass this time...So near yet so far!!!

Comment

Unlucky dude. Goes to show you can't take chances with traffic. At least you learnt stuff in front of a slow moving vehicle

The 125 beforehand is a good call. I did the same for my retest.

Comment

It could have been a lot worse, if a lorry had been coming down the road.
                  Good thing is that having done the test, I don't feel as anxious about the retest. I know that I just have to demonstrate safe riding skills, and drive in a relaxed way, not rushing anything. And hopefully I will get through on the retest.

Comment

Riding back from London yesterday down roads near Midhurst and there's a bus coming up thte hill towards me. It's a 60zone and I'm pushing on at near the speed limit. Some tool pulls out to overtake the bus. My thoughts were:

"Unless he has a Ferrari, he's not making that without hitting me"
                    "Brakes!"

I braked hard with the aim of giving him enough gap to get through, but I misjudged the amount of effort he was putting into the overtake and realised if I had any chance of survival, either I would have to stop or he would have to pull back in. I stopped.

He made it in, in front of the bus and waved happily to me. I gave him a massive Finger.

So, I've stopped on a 60mph road and the cars that were not that far behind me were on the anchors too now. Engage 1st, burn clutch, get up to 60 again before I get hit in the chuff.

Worst bit of driving I've ever seen that didn't end in an accident.

Comment

Lucky escape dude. Must have been horrible to be in a situation such as that.

Comment

Yeah. I didn't have anywhere to go. Keep your eyes peeled for nutters.

Comment

There is always a few about! Still cant wait to pass my test and get a bike. Now decided to go for a street triple, think this would be more sensible than a GSX 600R and also would be a better long term buy.

Comment

It'll be easier to ride too - less tapdancing.

Comment

Anyone know a cure for stinky gloves other than get new gloves? Any way to stop them getting stinky? I've noticed that it's the wet days that do it. I'm thinking of getting a spare pair and having a wet pair and dry pair - accepting the stink in the wet pair but leaving the dry pair untainted.

Comment

More expensive gloves? I don't remember mine getting stinky.

Comment

Working...
                                X