No announcement yet.

Cricket Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I totally agree with you. On sundays i play with some good friends of mine who are all in their 40s. To be honest you're exactly like they are...and that's what i like about my sunday team. It's a pleasure for me to be amongst such great guys who have that mentality and play the game for the right reasons.

Even though i like to be fair and make sure everyone gets a game...i have to try to get as many wickets and runs as i can.

We play timed games...apart from in Sunday division 1 which i don't play anymore. I rather play overs games because there's always a result and no waiting around for a draw. I think the max overs i've bowled in a row was 18 in my opening spell. Believe me, i was stiff after that...and had trouble fielding.

It's nice to find a cricket player on here...because i love the game and have so many stories to share...

Comment

I play once a year in the work tournament. I'm bloody rubbish. I can wave a bat as well as the next guy (until I come up against a proper bowler), and catching and throwing aren't too difficult, but bowling is an eternal mystery to me.

Still, it's a great game and I wish it was as popular up here as it was when I was young and I used to watch my dad playing village games.

Comment

Village cricket is what it's about....every season we do have a few friendlies on some grounds with some real cricketing history.

Hey, as long as you connect bat to ball...that's all that matters....then just hope for the best..

Up north cricket doesn't have the attraction as it does down south...The counties up north don't really go about promoting the sport, trying to get youngsters involved.

Comment

Check this auction out....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/cricket-shirt-...QQcmdZViewItem

Now that's an interesting way to attract sponsors...lol

Comment

I play for Southampton Travellers in Hampshire South West Div 2 (I think, may be SW 3 - took a bit of a sabattical last season due to baby being born).

Just a nice bunch of lads having a laugh and a beer. Trevor Foster is our resident legend and wicket keeper. You may have seen him on the news going to India and stuff, as his duaghter Hannah was murdered a few years back, and the killer is being extradited (slowly) from India.

How the hell the great man continues to play cricket (and excellently) with all that going on is a mystery.

Originally posted by fatbatch
            What team do you play for Seany? Anyone else here play?

It might be good to share news of our (mis)fortunes through the summer. I play for mighty Penzance III, a collection of promissing teenagers and old gits (virtually nobody between 20 and 35). I'm not part of the youth element.

Comment

Hey Sean,

Nice to meet another fellow cricketer. What XI do you play for fella?

Trevor Foster... ...i remember the story about his daughter. Cricket is a release for many of us...so i'm sure being at the club and around friends helped alot with his loss.

Mind you...the new season is almost upon us....have to go shopping...

My Asics bowling boots...which cost me ?64.99 ripped after about two games...

So am looking at the new Addidas boots, which cost about the same...but look even better. Looking at going for a different make this season and maybe get a sponsor...as i got a bollocking last week at my club for not taking my league cricket seriously...just great....

Comment

I am 1st XI, and if I am not needed I come along to score as I don't know many of the lads in the seconds. Had a net tuesday actually - was bowling pretty well if I don't say so myself, and have got a pair of those elasticated goggles to hold my glasses in place; normally only wear glasses for driving but discovered I can see the cherry like a beach ball whilst wearing them. So now I look a bit like Edgar Davids, albeit a fat, skinhead, white Edgar Davids.

Trev Foster is a legend, a true legend. 25+ years at the club, always gives me a lift when I want one, safe as houses behind the stumps, and traditionally me, Trev and our skipper Ox always travel and room together on our annual tour. I just hope they extradite the bastard who murdered his beautiful daughter.

Anyway, cricket rules.

Comment

Nice one Sean, seems like you're pretty good. Wouldn't mind having a net session with you sometime... With regards to the glasses, many cricketers that i know prefer to wear contact lenses. Wouldn't it be more comfortable?

Not long to go now......

Comment

Our first game is two weeks tomorrow - when do other people here start their seasons?

Comment

It's tbc at the moment....could be the same....

Just waiting for confirmation of our friendlies...as the league doesn't start until May.

Hoping to organise a 20/20 game for next week...which should be great.

20/20 games are brilliant..i captained my side in the first season of the Essex 20/20 league last season..

The most memorable moment being when the opener of my team smashed the first ball out of the ground for the maximum...i won ?20 on a bet saying that he'd do it.

Everyone getting excited...?

Comment

Our first game is not until 1st week in May, got a net tonight though - will have to see if I can be bothered. it looks like being a nice day today in which case I may herald in the summer by having the first barbecue of the year.

That's me, see - pure commitment.

Comment

Originally posted by seany1979
                          Our first game is not until 1st week in May, got a net tonight though - will have to see if I can be bothered. it looks like being a nice day today in which case I may herald in the summer by having the first barbecue of the year.

That's me, see - pure commitment.
                          Nice....

Comment

Weather turned to rain by about 6pm so went to the net. Batted atrociously but my bowling was alright. Was glad to get in the bar afterwards. Bumped into Robin Smith at the Rose Bowl too - smashing bloke - although he was wearing a shocking yellow and pink striped shirt.

Comment

LOL at Jason Gillespie's double ton! Highest scoring nightwatchman ever. 201 not out!!

Comment

Seeing good old Smithy on Friday night sean...

That double ton.... WTF....

Happy for him though...

Counting down the days now....

Comment

Working...
                                X