Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm thinking about buying a Panasonic LUMIX DMC-GF2 Does anyone have any opinions about this camera? To me it seems like a very nice entry level advanced camera. I can't afford a full on DSLR so this is a nice level for me but is it a good camera? Reviews seem to think so but do complain about the "old" lense type.

Comment

I can't speak from experience of owning a GF2, but I do have the GF3. From what I gathered before buying, there's not that much difference between them in terms of photographic performance. The main gripe seemed to be that the GF3 is considered a step backwards in terms of features by the purists (stuff like the GF3 removes some of the features which gave the GF2 that `pro` feel - the flash hot shoe being the most notable and some more dials and buttons).

That said I really, really adore my GF3; the performance is blistering for the size and money. I think if you don't want to lug around a DSLR (the reason I bought my GF3) or are going to use it to get into photography then I'd say the GF series is as good as you'll get (without looking at the other favourite, the Olympus Pen series). Panasonic's camera interface is relatively easy to use, and when you see some of the shots on Flickr that it's capable of, then it's definitely a great camera.

When you say `old` lense type, do you mean the one that comes with it? Something like the 14-45mm? It was the start of the year when I looked so can't exactly remember, but I seem to recall a lot of people moaning about the lens that came with it, if that's what you mean?

If you are concerned, it doesn't come as standard (at least not in Europe, might be different where you are), I'm a big proponent of the 20mm f1.7 lens which you can buy (think it's around ?200)

Yes it's a prime and doesn't have zoom capability but is fantastic in low light and `almost` makes the GF3 a pocketable camera. If you're worried about the lens then you might want to consider just getting the GF2 body and buying another lens separately.

Best bet is to go to the store and have a good play

Comment

Thanks for your views Spatial. At first I was looking at the GF3 but i did read a few reviews that said it was a bit backwards in features yet a great camera. This is why I'm looking at the GF2 series. I'll be buying mine from Yahoo Auctions for 22'000 yen (183 pounds) with the 14-42mm lense. It sure beats the 35'000 yen camera shops charge.
        Last edited by Yakumo; 24-11-2011, 09:24.

Comment

Just chucking another video in here as we don't have a separate thread (and we can't embed Flickr videos it seems - though this is the first time I've tried).

Just a quick and dirty test of the GH2's video functionality - not sure I'm happy about the slight dithering to the overall image. Although that could have been down to something I did since I'm still at the `N00b stage` with it - possibly exposure and / or ISO issues (I forget what this was filmed at). Or the filter. Or the lens... Either way Flickr's compression seems to have taken some of the banding out... ---- Music: Atmosphere by Celestial Aeon Project

Been a while since the last one at the start of the year, but thought it was time I gave the GH2's video capabilities a try.

Comment

Very nice stuff! Looks quite good even though it's on flicker. Was it filmed in HD?

My Panasonic Lumix GF2 arrived today. I'm well happy with it but I really need to download an English manual to get the most out of the camera. Quite a nice price at only 22'000 yen.

Pictures taken with my 5 year old Lumix point and shoot camera.

Comment

Nice one - given where you live it'll be nice to see the photos you take with it

The video was done in HD but Flickr only allows HD video playback if you have a Pro account.

Comment

I sometimes think about getting something like one of the GF models or maybe the new Nikon V1, as it would sometimes be nice to have a smaller camera with me.

Then I look at the LX3 gathering dust and wonder if it would be a waste of money..

Managed to actually use my main camera at the weekend, so fired off my first long exposure for a while..

Block by GarySmith70, on Flickr
                Last edited by Garf; 05-12-2011, 19:40.

Comment

Like that - nice shapes

All my photography has mostly been on my phone or compact recently; I really need to go out on a proper walk-and-shoot with the serious kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tosser View Post
                    Nice to get one of them, to be honest i'd be happy with 2nd or 3rd at AP so I can get a mug!
                    Guess you'll have to make do with a camera instead now

I couldn't get a decent tree pic I liked.

Comment

I was surprised to be honest. The pic didn't get anywhere in the POTY comp which it was taken for. The wife has already claimed the camera as her Lumix has started to go a bit odd.

Comment

I just got back from Havana with about 600 photos. These are my favourites:

_MG_8207.jpg by lyrislite, on Flickr

_MG_8212.jpg by lyrislite, on Flickr

_MG_8230.jpg by lyrislite, on Flickr

_MG_8254.jpg by lyrislite, on Flickr

_MG_7754.jpg by lyrislite, on Flickr

_MG_7771.jpg by lyrislite, on Flickr

_MG_7772.jpg by lyrislite, on Flickr

_MG_7854.jpg by lyrislite, on Flickr

_MG_7922.jpg by lyrislite, on Flickr

_MG_7944.jpg by lyrislite, on Flickr

_MG_8056.jpg by lyrislite, on Flickr

_MG_8244.jpg by lyrislite, on Flickr

Comment

Tis the season and all that, so here's some Xmas type photos

Christmas Shapes by Jamie-Davies, on Flickr

And this one's a bit non-traditional, even if it's still of a Xmas decoration (albeit a macro)

Lost in red by Jamie-Davies, on Flickr

Comment

Havana Looked cool Lyris, I think I'd go nuts with photos, looking at your pictures!.

Are those both Xmas decorations Spatial?

Comment

Yep - my Xmas tree shots are rubbish so thought I'd go for something a bit more alternative

Comment

A few random ones 've taken lately

The Hills near my house by EvilBoris, on Flickr

IMG_8547.jpg by EvilBoris, on Flickr

Somewhere near Glasgow by EvilBoris, on Flickr

Disobey! by EvilBoris, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X