No announcement yet.

I know kung fu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been doing Tai Chi Juan and for about a year now. That's the one with all the people in red that appears on BBC ident cards - but you aren't obliged to do it that slowly. Also, the name Tai Chi Juan translated means 'supreme ultimate cosmic boxing', which is about the best damn peice of engrish I've ever heard.

I just started doing Ba Gua through the same school too, which is similar to Tai Chi but more obviously martial in its appearance and application.

The great thing about these so-called 'internal' arts is that you can enjoy the benefits of martial arts practice without all the crazy physical jerks. I emphasise the word 'enjoy' here. I tried various Kung Fu schools before I started Tai Chi but the instructors all reminded me of that Rex Kwon Do guy in Napoleon Dynamite

Comment

so is every1 that started in the xmas/jan time still doing there MA and enjoying it?

I sure am,

Comment

Yup, I go to two Tang Soo Do lessons a week, and a 3rd XMA class on sundays. I'm aching every week afterwards, but it gives me such a buzz and I feel great for it. I've also done a Bo Staff seminar and have another coming up in a months time.

First grading in March, so I need to tighten up my first form and drill down on everything. Then we're off to essex for the teachers 4th Dan Master belt presentation in April, then off to Seni in May, I can't wait for that now.

Comment

i was thinking about going to seni in may, from the webby it looks like its gonna be fun, concentrating on my kumite (sparring) at the moment and saifa kata for the tourney im entering in come march 18th, not thinking i have any chance of winning, just want to get a few tourneys under my belt

currently doing 6 lessons per week, a triple on tuesdays, 1 wednesday and 1 sat, 1 sunday. then kick bag work and kata practice at home.

after 6 months, im still excited about each lesson as if it was one of my first

Comment

Yeah I have the same thing. I start each lesson with apprehension, because I know how hard they'll work us. But afterwards I just feel so good, and ready to go again. XMA is great for that, because we have great music playing the whole time and it's a really personal thing, trying to land tricks you coulnd't before.

Seni should be a blast, my club has been up for the last 2 years and they rave about it. We're all getting tickets for Judgement Day, a tourney held inside on the Sunday which has close to 70(!) categories. We're looking forward to the forms and freestyle forms. Ashley Beck is helping run it all and should be competing. I'm looking forward to seeing Chloe Bruce (she of the scorpion kick) and the Kuk Sool Won display teams especially.

Comment

Two months into the year, how's everyone doing?

My enthusiasm took a serious dip a couple of weeks back when I finally realised just how shockingly poor I am at roundhouses. It's getting better though, just lots of conditioning and practise needed.

Now however I'm back on the up, we did some good sparring reflex drills and enough kicks to give you legs like the Hulk in the last session. The first grading of the year is due at the end of March, so I have 5 weeks now to fine-tune the first form, the first couple of self-defences and the first couple one-step sparring techniques.

God it'll be good to not have to don the white belt and stand (quote so far) at the back of the class

Comment

Well my training has had to decrease significantly due to the sale of my house and that my missus and i are about to adopt a little girl.

I'm about 2/3 through my pole form and will move on to broad sword in around 5-6 months. I'll then move to the big boys class and get ready for my black belt grading.

Apparently it takes 2-3 years of training between brown->black belt and it's an all day grading :/

Comment

My enthusiasm is still there, but work is getting in the way at times luckily the wife knows how much it means to me so doesnt mind (too much) if my spare couple of evenings are doing this.

as for kicks, sparring they have realy come on, i spar with a guy whos 6 ft 7, and I can front kick to his face, side kick to his head, round kicks are only rib heigt though, I need to develope some leg strength.

hoping to get sent to grading for 6th kyu (orange) next month, then on the 18th march im entering into my first tournament, doing kata/kumite and team kata.

regards
                  jason

Comment

Your'e not exactly short fraggy dude!

Comment

oh yeah, guess that helps a bit

Comment

Yeah, front/axe/crescent kicks I don't have too much problem with height, especially not when we do some good partner assisted stretching. We did some big front kick lifts the other day, if you told me at the start of the year that I'd have my leg near vertical with my arms around my thigh and my head on my knee I'd have laughed, but now....

Comment

Originally posted by Emir
                          I picked up a "Kung FU Work-out with David Carradine" vid from a boot sale recently...
                          I'll master those moves soon.
                          Can you walk on rice-paper yet ;p

Comment

i started doing JuJutsu around 2 weeks ago. It's superb. Prior i'd only gone to the gym and bodybuilt, it really means nothing if you have no technique. We have been doing some counter moves agianst various grabs/weapons and learning to strike properly so far..loving it. glad i took it up.

Comment

first tourney, won 2 fights, then lost
                              Attached Files

Comment

Congrats man, that's awesome. How did the first fights go? I bet you were buzzing after that first win.

I entered a kickboxing tournament in kent a few weeks ago, I had 4 fights all in all, and came out the Southern UK University Welterweight kickboxing champion! Now there's a title and a half.

Was meant to fight for the british title tomorrow night, but I had to pull out.

Comment

Working...
                                X