No announcement yet.

I know kung fu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems to me that the flexibility can be regained quite quickly if you've been 'flexible' before. I've lost a lot of flexibility since I started my current Martial Art, but I know that with a bit of elbow grease I could get it back (having a major warm-up stretching session will get me to about 70% of where I was before).

Have a look at Pavel Tatsouline's stuff.. Excellent for gaining flexibility AND strength.

And a final tip from the top.. Lot's of static stretching before exercise is BAD!

Comment

I used to study Bujinkan Ninjitsu (http://www.bujinkan.com/) when I wasn't so skinny. Even got to meet Masaaki Hatsumi at a convention who took me down with a small piece of rope, whilst drunk, him not me. Got that on tape somewhere.

That went on for 3 years before some Scottish lads came down to our dojo for a visit and absolutely paggered me into a serious chest injury, which didn't do my morale any good.

I might take up some form of kung-fu that focuses on piercing strikes as I have strong, boney fingers now thanks to the guitar, and also that's where I was getting up to with my Ninjitsu before whimpering out.
      Last edited by dataDave; 15-01-2007, 14:25.

Comment

I used to do Wadoryu Karate for years as a kid. I regret not continuing it as the sensei had me down as his 'wonderkid' since I was about to take my black belt at 13 (apologies for willy waving!). Unfortunately a combination of high school/puberty and it being a long way to travel (wanted the same sensei) caused it all to come to an end. A real shame.

Comment

I'm off for MMA (mixed martial arts) training now, been doing it for about 11 months. It consists of striking, takedowns and ground fighting, basically all the fun bits of Thai boxing, judo and ju-jitsu (or Sambo).

It's really good fun, and great for all round co-ordination. The greatest benefit of all martial arts is, I reckon, increased self confidence and self discipline.

And punching people really hard in the face...

Comment

Still at 7th Gup, but loving the training. We've made a new competition squad (forms and sparring) and had squad training on Sunday. Am aching like a muddy funster now, but love having the ache back.

First competition is on the 28th, and really looking forward to seeing how many shades of poop I can have knocked out of me

Comment

cheers k0pp0.

That went on for 3 years before some Scottish lads came down to our dojo for a visit and absolutely paggered me into a serious chest injury, which didn't do my morale any good.
              yeah, i had the utter sh1t kicked out of me by a visiting instructor. 3 minutes of what i can only describe as utter humiliation. It really doesn't help the old confidence

Comment

Originally posted by DavidFallows View Post
                I used to study Bujinkan Ninjitsu (http://www.bujinkan.com/) when I wasn't so skinny. Even got to meet Masaaki Hatsumi at a convention who took me down with a small piece of rope, whilst drunk, him not me. Got that on tape somewhere.

I might take up some form of kung-fu that focuses on piercing strikes as I have strong, boney fingers now thanks to the guitar, and also that's where I was getting up to with my Ninjitsu before whimpering out.

Oooo Did you? Who was your Shidoshi? I'm currently studying it at the moment (got me 3rd dan in japan last year), and to be honest I think it's one of the most complete systems out there. Ask someone to show some of the 'applications' of kyusho in the Takagi Yoshin and Koto schools and those bony fingers will come in very useful.

Until someone tries throwing you with them.

Comment

Originally posted by DCharlie View Post
                  cheers k0pp0.

yeah, i had the utter sh1t kicked out of me by a visiting instructor. 3 minutes of what i can only describe as utter humiliation. It really doesn't help the old confidence
                  Got dumped on my arse anumber of times last night whilst not being able to breakfall, and usually with someone's thumb stuck in one of the pressure points in my throat. Cue getting winded about 3 times on the trot.

Not only did I look stupid, but managed to do it with excellent screams of agony.

I'd still go back for more though. However, these guy's who seem to delight in kicking the ****e out of their own (or other peoples) students are knobs.

Comment

Originally posted by k0pp0 View Post
                    Oooo Did you? Who was your Shidoshi?
                    Brian McCarthy (Shihan at the time I believe).

Fairly quiet guy but he seemed nice enough.

They were a top set of blokes at the dojo, I should bob in and say hi but I'm afraid I'd get talked into a session where I'd be very rusty and probably get hurt due to being two stones lighter than when I was 18. I'd only reached 5th Kyu but was well into it.

Nah, Kung Fu for me now. Not really into getting back to the gym to bulk up so that I can avoid throwing injuries. Only interested in kicking the **** out of a punch bag and building stamina tbh.
                    Last edited by dataDave; 16-01-2007, 14:04.

Comment

Ah.. My instructor was one of Brian's students about 20 or so years ago. I definately wouldn't call what Brian teaches Bujinkan, but eash to their one.

If you're worried about injuries, then I still recommend the Pavel vids for useful range of motion/flexibility excersises.. All based around Systema stuff, and them boys know their ****e.

Comment

Originally posted by Swallow View Post
                        I'm off for MMA (mixed martial arts) training now, been doing it for about 11 months. It consists of striking, takedowns and ground fighting, basically all the fun bits of Thai boxing, judo and ju-jitsu (or Sambo).

It's really good fun, and great for all round co-ordination. The greatest benefit of all martial arts is, I reckon, increased self confidence and self discipline.

And punching people really hard in the face...
                        I don't do the striking stuff but I've been grappling for about 18 months now. We used to be just Brazilian JiuJitsu, but we're affiliated with Gokor Chivichyan and Gene LeBell's Hayastan gym in America now, so it's more submission grappling. Completely agree with what you said about it being fun and good for co-ordination, for me it's a great way to umwind and let off the pressure that the week has built up.

Comment

Ninjutsu & Systema are both definately top notch and go very well with each other. Obviously you need a quality instructor as there are a fair few not so good ones, but I guess it depends on your personal learning style etc...

The only advice I would give regardless of which art you choose, would be to train realistically and to the harshest limit you are willing to explore. It will help you stay alive which is the ultimate goal after all and you dont know who is round the corner

One of the biggest benefits of Systema is the impact on your way of thinking and dealing with situations as they arise with no thought, I will stress that it is important to stay above the water tho as I have seen a few folks with unrealistic impressions of their abilities

Comment

Might wanna keep this one?

Comment

Hell yeah. Meant to update it a while ago actually. Entered my first open competition in January, in the mens Heavyweight point stop sparring (junior grades) division - and won it!

next grading next month

Comment

Been a long time since anyone posted in here. How are we all doing?

I just got back from a seminar with my Tai Chi Juan school. The school also teaches Kung Fu, Kickboxing, Hsing-I and Ba Gua, and they hold a get-together for all the local classes once a year where they hold demonstrations and cross-training stands, basically so that everyone gets an insight into something they don't already practice.

I've only ever done the 'internal' arts - Tai Chi Juan, Ba Gua and some Hsing-I - and the difference between those and the 'external' ones like Kung Fu was immediately apparent to me.

The Kung Fu in particular seems to depend a lot more on a person's physical strength and flexability for its effectiveness and I found some of the moves overly fiddly and unstable. It also reminded me, again, that I really need to do more flexability training. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it though.

Kickboxing on the other hand was more of a blunt instrument, very simple but obviously very effective. It seemed far more feasible to use in a dangerous situation than the Kung Fu and was very enjoyable. Bagwork must be great fun ^_^

The other thing I tried was some Five Fist Hsing-I. This is the most basic Hsing-I form (there are also 12 animal forms) and has just five moves, but the old masters would apparently drill their students in each move for up to five years before teaching them the next. When you try it, it's not hard to see why. Although it appears far less complex than the Kung Fu, it takes extraordinary self-control and co-ordination to make the moves flow. It uses similar principles to Tai Chi for co-ordinating the body and bringing strength from within, meaning you don't need to rely on brute strength or momentum but you also have a lot to think about and need a lot of practice before it becomes second nature. You can see a good demonstration of five fist here.

All in all it was a great way to shake out the cobwebs whilst getting a taste of what's out there.

Comment

Working...
                                X