No announcement yet.

The Boxing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Came in here expecting the opposite of those unboxing videos. Very disappointed.

Comment

I won't lie, I thought *exactly* that when I saw it resurrected the other day!

Comment

Great minds, QC.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          Interesting.

The way I heard it, Mayweather managed a win on points despite walking backwards the entire fight!
          CompuBox stats confirm that Mayweather threw and landed more punches than Pacquiao.

If you were watching the fight, you'd have known that Mayweather pretty much spent large parts of it on the front foot, often meeting Manny at the centre of the ring. Rarely did he use the ropes, save for later rounds.

Better man won on the night, and convincingly.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            Interesting.

The way I heard it, Mayweather managed a win on points despite walking backwards the entire fight!
            Not really. Manny didn't throw many punches, barely any landed.
            If you've watched floyd boxing before then the fight was as expected. Manny wasn't in it bar the odd punch.
            Boring fight really but no surprises on how mayweather fought. Tactical masterclass.

Comment

Ha, I didn't watch it, I was just saying it's funny how different people interpret who's won without a clear knockout.

Comment

Not many people seem to like mayweather so you'll always hear lots of negativity about the way he fights and goes about things.
                I'm not a fan of him myself but can't deny how good he is. Made arguably one of the best fighters of my generation look less than ordinary.
                Was a boring fight to watch, some good came of getting up early though, playerdthe xbox from 6am until the wife got up and ruined it ha ha

Comment

You can't deny he's a great fighter but he's ducked his way to keep that zero on his record - stat grabbing at its worst imo.

He avoided fighting Manny for six years until Manny had lost his speed and got KO'd. He also basically jumped divisions ducking some hard fights.

These things wouldn't go against him as much if he wasn't such a massive dickhead, also. Beating up women etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Kit View Post
                    he's ducked his way to keep that zero on his record - stat grabbing at its worst imo.

He avoided fighting Manny for six years until Manny had lost his speed and got KO'd. He also basically jumped divisions ducking some hard fights.
                    Really?

Some ducking, considering he's won world titles at FIVE different weights and had over 20 title bouts. Also, considering he has gone from 130lbs to 135lbs to 140lbs to 147lbs to 154lbs, I'm not quite sure how you can say he's jumped divisions.

I love how Manny and his camp always avoid their share of the blame for the fight not being made earlier, as if they had no choice whatsoever but to fight Juan Manuel Marquez FOUR times instead...

Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 03-05-2015, 13:44.

Comment

There's been enough articles on his career over the years - the fact 'ducking' is a suggested word next to his name on google says it all tbh.

He basically went up divisions, got title fights, won, then avoided proper contenders and left - e.g. fought Castillo (where he lucked a decision, then beat him second time round), got the belt, then instead of fighting top 5 guys was fighting guys ranked 7th and 8th.

Not saying he's a **** fighter (he's obviously one of the best defensively), but there's no way you're an all time great going through your career like that.

Be like saying Joe Calzaghe is the best middleweight or something because he beat Roy Jones. No. He beat an old Roy Jones and never ever faced the same type of competition.

Comment

So we're clear: You're effectively dismissing the fact that he's fought the following present/future Hall of Famers: Pacquiao, Alvarez, De La Hoya, Marquez, Gatti, Hatton, Cotto, Mosley?

This is the thing. He can't win - the goalposts/expectations get constantly moved for him like nobody else in the fight game. It's funny how people originally accused him of ducking Mosley when the idea of the Pacquiao fight was touted way back then. He fights Mosley, smashes him and is then accused of ducking Pacquiao. Really?

Let's get real about this. If Manny had taken the damn drugs testing when asked to, the fight would've happened back in 2009 or 2010. What was Manny hiding? Why was he so insistent back then about not going anywhere near needles for blood testing back then but was happy to do it now, all of a sudden? Why has Manny not had a KO win in six years when he was knocking people the fuq out for fun before then?
                        Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 03-05-2015, 17:06.

Comment

Great boxer. Horrible human being. Sums him up quite well.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                            So we're clear: You're effectively dismissing the fact that he's fought the following present/future Hall of Famers: Pacquiao, Alvarez, De La Hoya, Marquez, Gatti, Hatton, Cotto, Mosley?
                            He will be a hall of famer, I agree, but all this 'best ever' bollocks is ridiculous.

Mayweather said post fight he's better than Ali, tyson etc... do you honestly agree?

Let's get real about this. If Manny had taken the damn drugs testing when asked to, the fight would've happened back in 2009 or 2010. What was Manny hiding? Why was he so insistent back then about not going anywhere near needles for blood testing back then but was happy to do it now, all of a sudden? Why has Manny not had a KO win in six years when he was knocking people the fuq out for fun before then?
                            So he's a roider now? He's just past his prime, and lost his speed which is the reason people wanted this fight in 09 when he was a danger, not 2015. I'll add, the reason he's gone up in weight classes further than anyone is his wrist measurements. Look them up, he has the wrists of a heavy. That's not roids it's just freakish genetics.

Comment

He will be a hall of famer, I agree, but all this 'best ever' bollocks is ridiculous.

Mayweather said post fight he's better than Ali, tyson etc... do you honestly agree?
                              I don't disagree with you on this. I don't go in for the TBE bollocks either.

But even you must agree that the goalposts get shifted for Floyd unfairly. Floyd has been taking on guys naturally bigger than him for years and not getting fair credit for it. People are predictably now calling for him to face Golovkin ffs - a guy who arguably might now have to move from middleweight to super-middleweight because people at 160 simply don't want to face him!

So he's a roider now? He's just past his prime, and lost his speed which is the reason people wanted this fight in 09 when he was a danger, not 2015. I'll add, the reason he's gone up in weight classes further than anyone is his wrist measurements. Look them up, he has the wrists of a heavy. That's not roids it's just freakish genetics.
                              Let's not be disingenuous about any of this.

Floyd is the biggest money generator boxing has ever seen, and likely to be the biggest money generator that boxing ever will see.

Everybody who has fought him has pretty much acquiesced to similar testing. It is standard procedure if you want a fight with Floyd that will financially secure you for life - end of. This isn't news.

Again - If Manny had submitted to the tests five/six years ago, the fight would've happened. But people want to put it solely down to Floyd ducking? And Manny is suddenly finally comfortable with random testing five/six years later? Really?

And it wasn't just his wrists, dude. His whole body mass increased exponentially, even the size of his head! Yet he still carried the freakish blend of speed and power across the divisions until Alex Ariza left his camp (strangely enough).

I'm sorry - it simply doesn't add up.
                              Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 04-05-2015, 05:39.

Comment

They have been shifted, but half of that is his mouthing off. He's not a nice person, he's one of the best ever in his division but his style is boring. Best of his generation is spot on.

I prefer Pernell Whitakers type of defense. No hugging and back peddling, he was pure matrix dodging.

I think we need to see Manny shave his head for a better idea. He's got a massive block head anyway, but with that Bruce Lee mop it looks daft. If he was doing drugs it'd be HGH, but that seems somewhat counter productive as his speed would have taken a hit.

Comment

Working...
                                X