No announcement yet.

The Artwork Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice. It turned out really well. I think the darker bottom version is much better. Moody and all the lighting works great and, as you say, focus is on the dragon. Nice work!

Comment

@EvilBoris: You'd be surprised - all it takes is about fifty-billion undos. I think it's because the screen is so smooth, so I find it difficult to draw curves. And straight lines. And... just everything, really.

Maybe I could get rid of the white halo around the boy and cliffy bit and leave it highlighted grey like in the bottom pic... I'll try it tomorrow. If I start now I'll probably be here for another hour!

Also I can't shake the feeling his spiney things look like Sonic's spikes!

@DT: Thanks. Your iPad doodles back in the early part of the thread are incredible, by the way.

Comment

Thanks Billy! The iPad is a great drawing tool. I love it. Did a new one yesterday using a couple of different apps that I'll post up later (don't think I have a way of posting it directly from my iPad).

Edit: Let's see if this works...

Last edited by Dogg Thang; 11-03-2012, 08:21.

Comment

I really like that - your Pixelart style is great.

Comment

Gorgeous! Which apps do you use? I'm thinking of trying some more. Sketchbook doesn't really let me do single pixel stuff without anti-aliasing it...

Comment

Bit of an awkward process on this as I can't quite get a pixel app to output exactly how I'd like. So what I did was do the pixel art in an app called Tiny Pixels. There are a bunch of pixel apps but unfortunately my fave (Edge pixels I think it's called) doesn't have an iPad version. Tiny Pixels is good but there are no layers - you're working over the whole thing. Then I'd email a png to myself. Now, being pixels, that image is tiny and almost any app scales it up really badly. Two options here - scale it up in photoshop and send it back to the iPad or, what I do, open Brushes, import the tiny image and then just pinch to zoom in. For whatever reason, the basic viewing scaling on the iPad is excellent. So when I have it where I want, I hit the home and off button together to take a snapshot.

Then I import that into Brushes (it's now native iPad size) and textured over it in Brushes.

Messy process and I could probably have explained that better but basically it's pixels in Tiny Pixels and then touched it up in Brushes.

Oh, and thanks guys! Glad you like it.

Comment

Cheers. I downloaded the Tiny Pixels iPhone trial(32x32 canvas) and had a go with it:

It's like the old MS Paint days!

I just zoomed out to 100%, took a screenshot, emailed and resized in Photoshop.

I'll leave Brushes for now as it's a fiver, but I'll probably buy Tiny as I'll get a bigger canvas.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Awesome stuff folks! Might have to have a bash at a pixel art portrait...

Dogg, I'd well buy a print of your last pic. S'lovely!

Comment

Aw thanks man. Unfortunately they're limited by the iPad resolution. At least, I think they are. There is a Brushes viewer thing for Mac that can render hi-res images but I haven't got a Mac to test it. Not sure if it outputs layers either as I'd probably still need to recomposite it with the pixel image. Not sure.

Still, that was the first trial of this pixel to Brushes method and there's probably more I can do with it. It's a bit rough to be honest but the method is fun. I did a Venus one I'll post up too and may play with it to see what else I can do. I do adore pixel art but have always found it difficult - it requires a lot of control! Love the Superbrothers stuff in particular.

Comment

SketchBook Pro lets you output to a layered PSD file. I dunno why, but it doesn't want to import the same PSD files even though it supports it. Maybe I was doing something dodgy(I had to fiddle around with an sql file to move the files I'd done using the trial version to the full one because there's no official way to export from the trial other than as a PNG). The PSD opens just fine in PhotoShop, though. I was thinking of deleting and reinstalling to see if it would import but was worried I'd lose the stuff. I could try it now seeing as I'm not planning on editing the stuff I've finished.

Also I just realised my pixel parting's on the wrong side. I'll just say it's a reflection

Comment

I love pixel art!

Crocky-Chocky and Dogg Thang, I love the stuff you've both been posting in this thread.

I had a little blast at some pixel art myself last night using the Piq website: http://piq.codeus.net/draw#advanced_draw

I'd really like to get a print of this from RetroGT.com (I didn't draw this!).

Comment

Cheers QC!

Love the Retro GT pic...Gives me an idea!

Been checking out some dedicated Pixel Art software - I've been using Photoshop up to now, but working in pixel art resolution can be a bit of a chuff - GraphicsGale seems very, very good so far. Basic version is free too, but I might plump for the fancy shmancy when I've brushed up on my pixel arting skills.

Comment

After seeing some cracking stuff from everyone,I thought I'd have a little go at some pixel art. I started doing it in some random pixel art thing I found, but became annoyed at the lack of options to rotate n **** so I moved it across into Photoshop

Comment

Lovely. I'd have that on the wall (of my gaming room). Seriously.

Comment

Working...
                                X