No announcement yet.

The Artwork Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heh, guys... I'm somewhat reluctant to take on requests or commissions just because of how busy real life is right now and I don't want to let anyone down by not getting something finished but, QC, I'll have a good look at some Mechanikong and see if pixel doodle inspiration hits me (it just might!) and, Iboko, send me a PM to let me know what you're thinking or let me know here and again it could be something that inspires me.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
      Yeah I'd love to contribute to a game some day. I am looking at some of these and wondering what I could use to animate them for a little animated doodle. Like what programme I'd put something together in that would work with pixels? Any ideas?

Afraid not, but I'd just do an animated GIF for quick and nasty things, moving the layers about and so on. Of course, that depends on the complexity and would mean manually doing each frame. I've dabbled with Photoshop's animation and also Gimp. Gimp is hilarious because you just add the time in brackets to each layer name - e.g. layer 1(1000ms) - and put them in order, then save as a GIF. PS's timeline approach makes more sense and I think you can just set the start and end points for an object and it'll move it. Not sure how something like an actual walking animation would work, though.

I was thinking some sort of manual approach could be good because it would have the retro feel but I suppose in-betweening and the like wouldn't matter much as the movement won't look overly-smooth, as long as you animate everything at the 1:1 pixel scale and enlarge it later, rather than enlarging and then animating.

Comment

I'll say nowt until I see a mechanikong, less qualitychumps toys go out the pram. I maybe need to stay at his for download.

(But i'd say your pic above has a flavour of the new hope film poster anyway, which is what put it in my mind!)

Comment

Originally posted by ikobo View Post
          How big could these things be printed out while still retaining the right look do you think?
          Any size, they can be blown up very easily. In fact the bigger the better I reckon.

I'd recommend some sampling over the top though, like a blurred out overlay channel and some slight vignetting for a large print.

Comment

*yawn* Star Wars is such a clich?, though isn't it.

I mean, c'mon, it was from the 70s and we all know nothing good ever came of the 70s.

Comment

Agreed.

+1 for pixellated Mecha... monkey thing from the previous page.

Comment

Don't you diss the wars man*, or i'll cuss you good! The sheer fact that Star Wars came out in '77 rendered that whole 70's comment null and void.

* PLEASE NOTE: The posters protective instinct of much loved childhood memories that have continued to his middle age apply only to the original trilogy. Any 'dissing' or 'cussing' of the latter day prequels is both acceptable and encouraged.

Comment

Named after a couple of dudes

Comment

They must love you for representing them as icky parasites!

QC, sorry about this image. It actually started out like it was going to be pretty cool but the main image of Mechanikong himself just didn't turn out good enough. Almost would have been better without him and just having the face in the background. Anyway, here's a go at least...

Comment

For Gods sake Dogg, will you please do something crap because I'm getting fed up of telling you how awesome your pixel art is!

That's brilliant! QC's going to be well chuffed

Comment

HOLY F**K

He'd better have that as his avatar for at least a year!

Comment

Which one am I fader dudeo, the one that looks scared to death or the one that looks slightly evil/insane?

Regardless I actually rather like it, good work

Comment

Thats quality, I've noticed you've broken free of pixel art resolutions with your lens flare and smoke.

Comment

That's right, I've been doing that a while but getting more playful with it recently. I do the first pass in pixels, blow it up and then play with it a while.

Here's the original pixel version of that one to compare-

QC, if you want a decent png version of thing PM me a mail address and I'll send it to you.

Comment

QC, sorry about this image. It actually started out like it was going to be pretty cool but the main image of Mechanikong himself just didn't turn out good enough. Almost would have been better without him and just having the face in the background. Anyway, here's a go at least...

Ha! That is brilliant! You are mental clever Dogg.

Comment

Working...
                                X