Redundant: the Find Me a Career Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only if you want to drive for a career.

What role exactly do you have in the forces? What responsibilities do you have? Any idea what you want to do?

Comment

I'm basically in charge of making sure all comms get to and from the ship and in charge of the IS infastructure which also involves planning all the comms so a task force can communicate using VLF right upto SHF

Comms wise in charge of 20 or more systems from top secret special forces systems to unclas ship shore and run a department of 40 people and give pastoral care to all of them even from the age of 17 right up to someone my age

Haven't quite done a CV yet but already got a career transition workshop booked and I think they help with that

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
        I'm<snip>that
        Have you tried defence companies and their subcontractors? In aviation they are always on the lookout for experienced personnel and being cleared to NATO or local classified equipment is a welcome plus. There's also the possibility to end up writing/checking manuals and CBTs for new and updated equipment, which isn't particularly exciting, but better than nothing.

Comment

Are you definitely going to fail your medical? Is it something more than being in shape that you're worried about? You've got until October to do some Rocky montage training.

You don't like things quiet, do you, Buster?! It's all happening in your life at the moment!

I thought that all ex-military personnel become mercenaries-for-hire, rescue kidnapped kids and then write books about it.
          Or maybe I've seen too many films...

Comment

I've got a couple of decent adquals under my belt like GMDSS which is civilian qualification for safety to life at sea, I'm DV'd right upto the highest TS caveated level which doesnt run out until 2015 and level 3 in management trained under the CLM umbrella

yeah they saw things come in 3's maybe its 33's

I can't do that much training as when i get to the cardio/fat burning level of 115-130bpm my heart starts to throw a hissy fit and goes all over the place (Atrial Fibrillation)

as for a mercenary for hire i've never seen a chubby mercenary but willing to give it ago but maybe as a sniper lol

if i go and to be honest ive kinda had enough of the job now i will get an immediate pension, its not enough to pay all teh bills but i will get lots of time with the children which is why bus driving especially is always at the forefront of what i think i can do or be a paperboy again

Comment

Would you like to speak to someone that has already exited successfully? He was an officer (terminology???) I think, and now he contracts/consults. I'm sure he would be happy to chat and give advice.

When you say you "run" a dept of 40, would you say as well as their mentor, are you also their task manager? Do you give them appraisals? Do you have a project to run that you have to figure out how to meet deadlines, deal with "clients" (upper management / other depts) etc.

I'm just trying to I'm just trying to figure out what the skill transfer is. e.g. Could you be a "project manager"? Normally looking after 40 people puts you in a good position on a CV, regardless of role.

Don't think of it as leaving the forces. Just think of it as changing job. All jobs are the same, regardless of employer really.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post

When you say you "run" a dept of 40, would you say as well as their mentor, are you also their task manager? Do you give them appraisals? Do you have a project to run that you have to figure out how to meet deadlines, deal with "clients" (upper management / other depts) etc.
                All of the above

the most recent big project i was involved in was Auriga2010 and more auriga

basically i planned and executed all the communications aspects for that myself and its been the biggest deployment in over a decade involving more navies than every before and more exercises over a short space of time and it was a resounding success

Comment

I struggle believe that with achievements like that under your belt, people aren't going to want to employ you.

The only issue is if you struggle to adapt to life on Civvy Street...

Comment

Sounds like people will be falling over themselves to employ you dude.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                      Sounds like people will be falling over themselves to employ you dude.
                      think the problem being that i've never had to go through the process so i could come across as nervous

plus im thinking of a change of pace - just so i can be there for my children

plus i was originally due outside in November after 22 years service but was given an extension of 6 years after i revamped the whole process of teaching students and updating instructional guides when i worked as an instructor at the royal Navy's comms school in Fareham

so due outside in 2018 but reckon i would have left normally in around 2015 so its happening a little sooner than i had planned, just scared i guess because i've never had a job except for the RN so its a frightening prospect
                      Last edited by buster_broon; 02-08-2012, 09:23.

Comment

Would agree with Charles - sounds like you've an excellent track record mate, and managing 40+ people is not to be sniffed at either! All this time you're pretending to be bad with technology too

Sounds like the bigger challenge will be finding somewhere that allows a healthy work/life balance and actually lets you carry on spending some time with the family. There are worse challenges to have!

Comment

Forget to mention here... now in week three of a new position... things are slowly going up here heh...
                          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

i've eventually got my medical board next month and should be un-employed pretty much straight away

so today started applying for some voluntary work with the royal british legion and poppyscotland

was looking at getting all my driving licenses but it seems i might not be allowe due to my heart condition

looks like im back at square one

Comment

Bugger 4 weeks notice

Comment

Oh.

What do you do?

Comment

Working...
                                X