X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
    Hey, that's really good Wakka, thanks.

Virgin is unlimited everything, but I rarely phone, so I'd happily sacrifice that to get 4G and a little bit of tethering.

Does anyone here look after the phones for their company? I need some advice.

We use BlackBerry handsets on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express 5. BB have reduced our choices to just one compatible handset. If we upgrade to BES10, none of the existing handsets will work! It's like RIM want to go bust!

So does anyone use iPhones, Android or Windows Mobile devices with a server to control the devices and email? Any experience with Iron Mobile?

I'm really not sure where I go from here. If I give someone an iPhone and use a company Apple ID, they can't put any apps or music on. If they use theirs and they leave with it, we can't remote wipe or use "find my phone".

I'd rather stick with BlackBerry, but I don't want two servers and people like the "prestige" of an iPhone (these people also point at airplanes, with mouths agog).
    How long do you have left on your business contract? Is the issue that your BES5 devices are quite new, and can't justify replacing them. A new contract may be able to offer the hardware that you like. The Q5's are great bang for buck.

The licences to go from BES5 to BES10 are currently free from RIM. Your server may need upgrading etc. You can then use BES10 as a MDM for all devices (apart from Windows I believe). You will need to pay for licenses for non RIM devices on the BES though.

I know that Windows Mobile 8.1 OS has some MDM functionality with Exchange including wiping devices.

Possibly Citrix tunnels on devices for email and corporate apps/work etc. A good way to adopt bring your own device strategy.

I work in corporate comms so drop me a PM if you need any further advice.

Momo

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
      Hey, that's really good Wakka, thanks.

Virgin is unlimited everything, but I rarely phone, so I'd happily sacrifice that to get 4G and a little bit of tethering.

Does anyone here look after the phones for their company? I need some advice.

We use BlackBerry handsets on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express 5. BB have reduced our choices to just one compatible handset. If we upgrade to BES10, none of the existing handsets will work! It's like RIM want to go bust!

So does anyone use iPhones, Android or Windows Mobile devices with a server to control the devices and email? Any experience with Iron Mobile?

I'm really not sure where I go from here. If I give someone an iPhone and use a company Apple ID, they can't put any apps or music on. If they use theirs and they leave with it, we can't remote wipe or use "find my phone".

I'd rather stick with BlackBerry, but I don't want two servers and people like the "prestige" of an iPhone (these people also point at airplanes, with mouths agog).

Realised I hadn't included a link as per thread title. It's gone up by ?3 annoyingly, but I still think it's a good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by momobeast View Post
        How long do you have left on your business contract? Is the issue that your BES5 devices are quite new, and can't justify replacing them. A new contract may be able to offer the hardware that you like. The Q5's are great bang for buck.

The licences to go from BES5 to BES10 are currently free from RIM. Your server may need upgrading etc. You can then use BES10 as a MDM for all devices (apart from Windows I believe). You will need to pay for licenses for non RIM devices on the BES though.

I know that Windows Mobile 8.1 OS has some MDM functionality with Exchange including wiping devices.

Possibly Citrix tunnels on devices for email and corporate apps/work etc. A good way to adopt bring your own device strategy.

I work in corporate comms so drop me a PM if you need any further advice.

Momo
        This is great information, momobeast and I appreciate your time to reply and offer for further advice. You might regret it in the long term, but thanks.

Reading between the lines, I think they want to move to iPhones, but people are going to be gutted when they can't add Angry Birds and SnapChat!

Comment

Surely you don't get a smartphone and then restrict app installation?
          They did that with our Blackberrys, but that was no great loss.

The MDM system we use lets use use our own apple IDs, but they can still perform a remote wipe and enforce certain VPN and security restrictions. I have an 8 digit long ping code that changes quarterly for example.

Comment

Yes, I'd clamp it right down if I had my way. It's a work tool not a social media toy.

In reality, I'm not sure. Your way sounds like the perfect compromise, Boris, so could you please ask what the MDM system is that your company use (if you don't know yourself)?

Cheers!

Comment

This is our one

Comment

Originally posted by punio75 View Post
                Always been on a contract but listening to your guys advice, going to buy phone only from apple.
                Regarding switching from one provider to another how simple is it?

i.e. if i buy apples phone and get a month from their ?15 ee for example, if I switch if I'm not happy with the service can you simply transfer your number across?

Apologies, been on an 02 contract for so so long!!
                You can either go monthly sim only, or find a cheaper 18 month sim only deal so you are still locked in.

Good thing about the Nexus5 is that it doesn't have any of the bloatware that the carrier (e.g. vodafone) and samsung normally load up the androids with. Vanilla android ftw.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                  Perfect 👌!

Thanks for that. It looks like I have some reading to do!

Comment

The biggest issue we have at work with the iPhones is the data usage and how the tariff they've chosen only has 500mb of data, which is difficult for people to track, particularly if they use the phone for personal use.

Comment

I got a great deal on upgrade with Vodafone.

I phoned up having done research on the phone I wanted and good deals I found. I told them if they couldn't match the deal I'd leave. They offered me a very bad deal, so I told them I was going to leave. The dude on the other end of the phone put me on hold so he could speak to his manager and I got a Sony Z1 Compact with unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, 6 months of free Spotify premium, 4G and 4GB data usage p/m for ?21.70 a month on a 24 month contract.

It is always always always worth haggling with the phone provider as it does get results if you work on it. That's my advice.

Comment

[QUOTE=charlesr;2163533]You can either go monthly sim only, or find a cheaper 18 month sim only deal so you are still locked in.

May have a peek at Virgin as I'm an existing customer-

Unlimited
                        minutes, unlimited texts, 2GB data for ?15 a month seems good.

or unlimited data at ?18

Comment

Looking at the Xperia Z3 simply free and the list price is ?599 but Amazon are selling the copper coloured one for ?430! That's a bloody good price.

Comment

Originally posted by darkangel View Post
                            I got a great deal on upgrade with Vodafone.

I phoned up having done research on the phone I wanted and good deals I found. I told them if they couldn't match the deal I'd leave. They offered me a very bad deal, so I told them I was going to leave. The dude on the other end of the phone put me on hold so he could speak to his manager and I got a Sony Z1 Compact with unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, 6 months of free Spotify premium, 4G and 4GB data usage p/m for ?21.70 a month on a 24 month contract.

It is always always always worth haggling with the phone provider as it does get results if you work on it. That's my advice.
                            Please ignore
                            Last edited by ETC; 23-09-2014, 07:11. Reason: Drunken ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                              The biggest issue we have at work with the iPhones is the data usage and how the tariff they've chosen only has 500mb of data, which is difficult for people to track, particularly if they use the phone for personal use.
                              Have a look at these guys Boris. www.wandera.com. They compress data by approx 30% off the bat, and then allow you to get real time stats as to data usage anywhere in the world. You can also black/white list applications. They have a slight MDM element to it as well now.

Comment

Finally! I've managed to sort out my early upgrade to an Xperia Z3 with Vodafone.

Had a nightmare getting there but that only means I've managed to get more out of them. Unlimited minutes, texts, 4Gb of 4G data (first 3 months unlimited), 6 months Sky Sports. Normally ?43.50 a month but because my missus works for Arcadia Group (BHS) she gets 20% off the line rental so it'll be ?34.50.

Comment

Working...
                                X